Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) Junior team bus crash

Randall Flagg

Great day for Canada...between this tragedy and the death of a wonderful young man Jonathan Pitre, a splendid human being that suffered almost from the day he was born with a rare disease. You can read his full story at his link. This all kinda puts everyday nothingness that is thought to be so important in perspective...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/jonathan-pitre-dead-butterfly-child-1.4607671

Great day for Canada...between this tragedy and the death of a wonderful young man Jonathan Pitre, a splendid human being that suffered almost from the day he was born with a rare disease. You can read his full story at his link. This all kinda puts everyday nothingness that is thought to be so important in perspective...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/jonathan-pitre-dead-butterfly-child-1.4607671

I can't read this article.  I saw pictures of the poor boy on twitter yesterday and I can't bring myself to read it.

It might sound a little ludicrous and like a big overreaction, but should teams, especially with youths, travel in a caravan of smaller vehicles? 28 people were on the bus. You could do four minivans.

You lose the intangibles of team travel, the tradition of the bus in almost every youth team sport. Thankfully, these things rarely happen. My idea might be akin to putting a helmet on every child or kevlar vest on every school kid. A reach.

Side notes: Lindy Ruff's brother was on the Lethbridge bus crash in the 80s and didn't make it. Brent Ruff. Also John Vogl recently did a piece where Miller, Vanek etc. talked about close calls in the AHL, buses sliding sideways and so on.

Edited by PASabreFan

It might sound a little ludicrous and like a big overreaction, but should teams, especially with youths, travel in a caravan of smaller vehicles? 28 people were on the bus. You could do four minivans.

You lose the intangibles of team travel, the tradition of the bus in almost every youth team sport. Thankfully, these things rarely happen. My idea might be akin to putting a helmet on every child or kevlar vest on every school kid. A reach.

Side notes: Lindy Ruff's brother was on the Lethbridge bus crash in the 80s and didn't make it. Brent Ruff. Also John Vogl recently did a piece where Miller, Vanek etc. talked about close calls in the AHL, buses sliding sideways and so on.

Aren't buses safer than smaller vehicles? I suppose air travel would be the first choice, since airplanes are much safer than any type of road vehicle. But that's probably too expensive for minor league sports teams. Since incidents like this thankfully seem to be extremely rare, I don't know if there's anything we can do differently aside from continuing to stress safe driving habits.

Aren't buses safer than smaller vehicles? I suppose air travel would be the first choice, since airplanes are much safer than any type of road vehicle. But that's probably too expensive for minor league sports teams. Since incidents like this thankfully seem to be extremely rare, I don't know if there's anything we can do differently aside from continuing to stress safe driving habits.

I don't know the answer to your first question. But I think I'd rather be in an accident in my car than on a bus. I think your last sentence pretty much nails it, except I've always wondered why buses don't have to have seat belts.

Pretty sure the crash was in '86 after the Broncos moved back to Swift Current.

How friggin' bizarre that both fatal Canadian Junior bus crashes involved a team named the Broncos.

RIP boys. :cry:

Absolutely devastating.

I remember when the Bluffton University baseball team crashed when I was a senior in high school. It was a small college- everyone knew everyone. I had many friends who went there who were absolutely heartbroken and it raised the question again of "should entire teams travel together". The answer is, it makes sense to have them all together- this doesn't happen often but when it does... my god it's just terrible. I think of Lokomotiv, Marshall, Chapecoense, other air accidents, too. 

I saw a picture this morning of a couple of the players in hospital gurneys holding their hands up together in solidarity. All my love goes to them. 

I don't know the answer to your first question. But I think I'd rather be in an accident in my car than on a bus. I think your last sentence pretty much nails it, except I've always wondered why buses don't have to have seat belts.

In Europe they do, and drivers encourage people to wear them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.