Humboldt Broncos (SJHL) Junior team bus crash

Randall Flagg

Aren't buses safer than smaller vehicles?

They are, largely due to their huge mass.  Accidents that involve bus fatalities usually involve equally impressive forces, like a tree or, in this case, a semi.  Had that semi been just a car, the only fatalities would likely have been in the car itself.

This is horrifying.   Having logged many miles on team buses, this is just unfathomable... Had some close calls traveling around the north east in the winter, but this is just something you never really think about when you're on the bus with your teammates hanging out playing cards, studying, or just enjoying each others company.    Terrible tragedy.  

This is sad, many families affected. The Saskatchewan hockey community is small, everybody probably knows someone tied to that team.

There were family and friends waiting at the rink for them to arrive.

I have been on team bus trips and I felt safer in the sense that there was only one white knuckle driver in nasty weather vs 17 parents driving their kids to a tournament hours away from home.

My son is approaching may be playing junior hockey and on these trips in the next few years. I don't want to even think about that scenario.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.