The team has no identity

erickompositör72

OK, well I stole this concept from someone I know who's in the business, who was telling me his opinion on the Sabres.

I think it's the most apt way to put our situation. It has a little more nuance than "not enough talent" or "no heart."

What I read into this concept is: we don't have clear strengths and weaknesses as a team. On the contrary, when a team with an identity prepares for a game, they can look at it from two ends of a spectrum:

1. Our opponent is a great match-up for us. Let's do what we do best (Housley wants that to be fast transition, puck-moving defense, high pace, etc. Suffice it to say, we're not there yet)

2. Our opponent is a tough match-up for us. We need to focus on the little things and be aware of our weaknesses. We need to pay extra attention to details

This is an over-simplification, but it is a mindset with which a team with an identity can approach different opponents, and use to improve throughout a season- building on strengths and shoring up weaknesses.

I think Housley's and Botterill's main task is building an identity for the Sabres. This assessment actually gives me some hope, because there really hasn't been enough time yet for a team with a real identity to be assembled.

OK, well I stole this concept from someone I know who's in the business, who was telling me his opinion on the Sabres.

I think it's the most apt way to put our situation. It has a little more nuance than "not enough talent" or "no heart."

What I read into this concept is: we don't have clear strengths and weaknesses as a team. On the contrary, when a team with an identity prepares for a game, they can look at it from two ends of a spectrum:

1. Our opponent is a great match-up for us. Let's do what we do best (Housley wants that to be fast transition, puck-moving defense, high pace, etc. Suffice it to say, we're not there yet)

2. Our opponent is a tough match-up for us. We need to focus on the little things and be aware of our weaknesses. We need to pay extra attention to details

This is an over-simplification, but it is a mindset with which a team with an identity can approach different opponents, and use to improve throughout a season- building on strengths and shoring up weaknesses.

I think Housley's and Botterill's main task is building an identity for the Sabres. This assessment actually gives me some hope, because there really hasn't been enough time yet for a team with a real identity to be assembled.

Every other team sees us as their number 1.

An identity means opponents need to prepare for you. If the game is played your way, you win more often than not.

You may be a quick transition team, a bull of a forechecking team, a trapping team, a kitty bar the door team or even a firewagon team.

I agree that they need to develop a reputation and have teams wary of coming into their barn for a game.

Since 2005-2007, when we were a dangerous "don't give them space or they'll punish you" team, the perception around the league is that it's a frail team. Push us around or pressure us and we'll crumble like an AT-ST. Even before the tank. 10 years is a long time to be seen as pushovers.

Let the past die.

Kill it, if you have to.

I can't speak for erick, but my interpretation of the "identity" concept as put forth in the OP is "an important part of the game that the team is really good at -- to the point where it makes the team a threat to win every night and the opponent needs to gameplan for it." 

Clearly, such an element doesn't exist with this team, since they stink at pretty much everything.

Maybe the first such element could be the PP -- but having a really good PP alone isn't enough. 

Now, really good PP and really good PK PLUS really good goaltending (which of course is a critical element in the PK) -- that might be achievable next year and might be enough to vault this team up a few levels to bubble team status.  That might give the team another season or 2 to develop Howie's attacking defense/high speed 5-on-5 style, which is what I think the identity goal really is, and what will be needed to get to contender status.

The first and most immediately critical step is to step way up at goalie.

Let the past die.

Kill it, if you have to.

I recall that second half of Bylsma's first season...   We stunk in the first period. Game in and game out. But the third would come along and we'd play like gangbusters. That could have been our identity: "No lead is safe against the Sabres." That's not a bad identity. The problem was we never advanced our efforts in periods 1 and 2... and you can't live by comebacks alone. Then, the following season, all we had was a good powerplay. If we'd have become a "play even in periods 1 and 2, and then been a third period team of destroyers of opponents..." then this thread wouldn't be an issue. Alas...  Killing the past and starting anew. Again.

Identities are for winners.

Identities are for closers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.