Anyone Else Worried about Okposo

GASabresIUFAN

It means he should quit. We should be more concerned about his life going forward.

I agree.  After Ennis, Patty, and Connolly,  guys who more easily get concussions should retire.  It's not worth your health and life. 

If he does retire, the Sabres should immediately make him part of the organization as an asst coach or scout.  I really like KO the player and from what I've read, the person.  I think he'd make a great coach.  

I think it's premature for talk like this.  He probably went into the protocol as much because of his recent history as for the actual injury.  Abundance of caution, and that's the right move for him right now.

It was definitely a hard hit, but we don't know if he was concussed or the severity the injury if he was.

I agree.  After Ennis, Patty, and Connolly,  guys who more easily get concussions should retire.  It's not worth your health and life. 

If he does retire, the Sabres should immediately make him part of the organization as an asst coach or scout.  I really like KO the player and from what I've read, the person.  I think he'd make a great coach.  

I'm not sure if one concussion actually can lead to another, of if your judgment is off enough that you put yourself in more bad spots. Last night was a brutal thing to watch, Kyle putting himself in that situation. Now, I'm sure he'd be fine out in the world, but on that ice, there's not much room for error.

Sure, he's a good guy from everything we can see. But I say no thanks to more promoting of former Sabres into the organization.

Edited by PASabreFan

I'm not sure if one concussion actually can lead to another, of if your judgment is off enough that you put yourself in more bad spots. Last night was a brutal thing to watch, Kyle putting himself in that situation. Now, I'm sure he'd be fine out in the world, but on that ice, there's not much room for error.

Sure, he's a good guy from everything we can see. But I say no thanks to more promoting of former Sabres into the organization.

I'm no doctor, but I have been told by one (after my third) that each concussion makes the next one easier to obtain.  FWIW.  

From a biological standpoint? Or could impaired judgment lead one to make poor decisions/take risks?

From a physiological standpoint.  They become more likely and severe as you go on.

Here's a hockey-themed article about it I found on a physio from Edmonton's blog if you're interested.  Seems legit in as much as I am able to make that determination: 

https://leadingedgephysio.com/blog/the-effects-of-repeated-head-trauma-and-multiple-concussions/

This is definitely the case, he's been nothing but a class act on and off the ice.  I have no disdain for him.  It's such a shame when this happens to great hockey players (Lindros, Pronger, down to others like Savard).  It's just garbage.  He should have the chance to live without complications for his family.  

Horrible to read the Okposo has another concussion.

I wonder who gets called up in his place. At this point we have 2 maybe 3 actual NHL forwards on this team. Should bode well against Vegas.

Insures the tank... though seriously worried for him. Guess if long term would free up cap space.

I started this thread because I had a bad feeling about the hit after I saw the replay. Best wishes KO and get well soon.

The season started and we had 5/6 of a legit top 6. Now we are down to a top 3. Mittelstadt, Asplund, Pu and Nylanders' development is more critical then ever if this rebuild is going to work.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just watched a thing on TV about Savard and how his whole life is affected by that cheap hit to his head. I am certainly no Bruin fan but feel bad for the team as they lost  great player and person. He is still having problems related to that hit and I do think it may be in Kyle's best interest to consider retirement. One's health is far more important then money although I am sure he is well off anyways

I think it's important to note that head injuries are wildly unpredictable and each person is impacted differently.  So, while Savard may have had one set of symptoms and impacts, Okposo may be different.  There are certainly plenty of people who have sustained major concussion and as of yet are not showing major brain trauma impacts.

The good news is that there is a massive amount of study going on and the use of fMRI, etc. to map and monitor changes in brain function.  I am certain that Okposo will get very good treatment and some projection of the latest injury (assuming it's even a head injury) impact on his mental function.

Frankly I really hope it's a chest injury... unlikely, but I hope.

I wonder what Crosby's brain looks like at this point.  He was out of hockey for a significant period of time.

I wonder what Crosby's brain looks like at this point.  He was out of hockey for a significant period of time.

Crosby had whiplash and irritated his occipital nerves. I know this because my daughter had two head injuries last year and we are going through the same thing. It's been 9 months and she still has daily headaches caused by these nerves being compressed at the base of her skull. The steroids that helped Crosby get back on the ice after the proper diagnosis, only partially helped her.

If I were Okposo, I'd be stepping away. Savard is still not right and KO has probably made enough $ to live comfortably and retire. 

Savard did not retire until January of 2018.  In fact, his contract was traded 2 times since his second concussion.  The Bruins got the benefit of LTIR for the CAP and Savard still got paid (by the NHL insurance company I believe).  Now, a doctor has to sign off on the fact that KO is not well, but if that's the case, KO gets paid, has no more health risk, and the Sabres don't have a CAP hit of $6 million for the next 5 years.  A potential Win-Win-Win situation.

Edited by Tondas

I think it's important to note that head injuries are wildly unpredictable and each person is impacted differently.  So, while Savard may have had one set of symptoms and impacts, Okposo may be different.  There are certainly plenty of people who have sustained major concussion and as of yet are not showing major brain trauma impacts.

The good news is that there is a massive amount of study going on and the use of fMRI, etc. to map and monitor changes in brain function.  I am certain that Okposo will get very good treatment and some projection of the latest injury (assuming it's even a head injury) impact on his mental function.

Frankly I really hope it's a chest injury... unlikely, but I hope.

While this is true, KO's first reported concussion landed him in the ICU and IIRC he lost a lot of weight as well as had other symptoms. As you say, I'm sure KO will make the right decision based on expert medical opinions and the advice of his family. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.