Than vs then

inkman

We used to have one or two serial offenders of this faux pas but with the influx of new posters the last couple of years its gotten out of hand. So here ya go:

With than (which rhymes with can) and then (which rhymes with men ) sounding so much alike, it is easy to understand why using these words incorrectly is one of the most common grammar mistakes. Luckily, there is quick way to remember which word to use when. The word then has many uses; however, than is only used in comparisons. So if you are wondering which word to use, ask yourself if the sentence is a comparison. If yes, use than. If no, use then.

https://grammarpartyblog.com/2011/07/19/than-vs-then/

Figure it out people!!

Edited by inkman

Your right. But it’s tough with people, you know? Their going to do what there going to do. Ignoring the malapropisms is better then obsessing over them. You could pin this tweet, and nothing would change — than what?

I sea what ewe done their.

The one that gets me is loose vs lose.

All the idiot MLM sellers on my facebook, "buy my crappy lularoe and essential oils , don't loose out!"

:wallbash:

another one I see frequently messed up: peek vs peak. "Come get a sneak peak" Yes, those mischievous sneaky mountains... 

another one I see frequently messed up: peek vs peak. "Come get a sneak peak" Yes, those mischievous sneaky mountains...

That's one I struggle with personally. If I think about it I know which one is which, but when I'm typing away, I almost always type the wrong one and have to go back and check it.

alot vs a lot

ect vs etc. vs et cetera (and pronounced correctly as in ett-sett-air-uh not eksetra)

lie vs lay (Rob Ray, are you reading this?)

try and do vs. try TO do [you know, the Infinitive thingy.]

Any (proper) use of a gerund these days. (Are you reading this Rob Ray?)

It really annoys me how much Rob Ray rips on Dan Dunleavy . Dan, and/or the producers,

should tell Rob to stuff it. [Don't anyone dox me to Rob!! I want to live beyond today.]

It really annoys me how much Rob Ray rips on Dan Dunleavy . Dan, and/or the producers,

should tell Rob to stuff it. [Don't anyone dox me to Rob!! I want to live beyond today.]

He rips on everybody.  RJ, the guy for the other team at ice level, etc.  It's part of his schtick.  It's also apparent that he's pretty bad at it and his digs actually are awkward enough that he ends up being the butt of the joke.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.