Kane traded to San Jose for a Cond. ‘19 1st, Dan O’ Regan and Conditional 4th

Brawndo

I’m wondering how much of this we are going to see over the last 20 games.

We’ve seen Nelson get a good look and we’re starting to see a little more of Antipin.

Will Baptiste get more minutes? Will O’Reagan, Smith, Fasching, Guhle Bailey Nylander Ullmark see any time up here?

We’ve got four open contract slots.

Will Mittelstadt and Borgen be signed? Any college free agents?

Can Possler and Asplund get a look-see when the Swedish league is done?

Come July 1st we have 25 open contract slots. I'm most interested in what happens then. The rest of this season.. meh.

Curious why everyone is so down on O’Regan. It’s like he’s an afterthought and y’all are just hung up on the draft pick. I’ve seen Danny ranked anywhere between 1st and 4th in the Sharks farm system. SJ has one of the weakest farms in the league, sure. But he’s still a top 100 prospect in the league.

#84 here: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking-2017/

Everyone clamors for Kane to be stapled to the third line for life.. DOR could be a solid third line center. Given our utter lack of secondary scoring, I’m excited about what he’ll bring. I don’t think he’s a cast-off to be discarded just because you didn’t get your shiny 30th overall pick.

Player A: 154 points in 154 H-East games

Player B: 144 points in 128 ECAC games

One guy got a 50+ page thread on this forum even though he never skated for the Sabres. The other guy won’t even get mentioned in a thread bearing his name in the title!

I get being underwhelmed with the picks and the conditions. But not many prospects better than O’Regan moved this deadline. And at some point we need immediate talent, not future picks. Idk, just my opinion. I’ll at least say his name :P

Edited by EichSnipe

this is why the Sabres are bottom feeders and the main reason is depth:

Updated trade from the Jets

2019 2nd round

2019 4th round

Zack Bogosian

the rights to Jason Kasdorf

and 2 1/2 years of Kane playing on a losing team

To Jets:

Drew Stafford

Tyler Myers

Joel Armia

Brendan Lemieux

Jack Roslovic

wow!

Tyler Myers best year is still his rookie year here, Joel Armia is like 8 other guys we have here now and Drew Stafford is with the Devils now.

Brendan Lemieux has played 9 total NHL games and has 1 point.

What exactly are you wowing about for Winnipeg? That they got a bunch of dudes who you think shouldbbe good but actually aren't?

They got an average defenseman who never lived up to his potential much like BOGO was for Winnepeg, a JAG in Armia, 1 decent season from Stafford and nothing else. Kane still was by far the best player in that deal...its not his fault the team sucked.

And since hockey trades largely are won by the team who ended up getting the best player the Sabres won that trade.

Edited by matter2003

Player A: 154 points in 154 H-East games

Player B: 144 points in 128 ECAC games

One guy got a 50+ page thread on this forum even though he never skated for the Sabres. The other guy won’t even get mentioned in a thread bearing his name in the title!

I get being underwhelmed with the picks and the conditions. But not many prospects better than O’Regan moved this deadline. And at some point we need immediate talent, not future picks. Idk, just my opinion. I’ll at least say his name :P

Great point about O’Leary’s pedigree.

Botterill knows his college dudes, if he likes O’Riordan, that’s good enough for me.

I am now officially excited to see what O’Manley’s got.

I generally agree with this.

However, I don't think we can discount the possibility that Kane has certain qualities that made the Sabres not interested in keeping him under any circumstances. 

If that was the case, then their only choice was to trade him for the best return they could get.

Interesting.  I thought it meant that if they finish out of the playoffs next year and are in the lottery then the Sabres don't get it.  But your alternative makes more sense (and is better for the Sabres).

I’m not positive on that though, just my guess.

I think a lot of GM's played themselves if it was anything other than his actual gameplay that kept them away.

On a rental? Sure.

Paul Hamilton tried to make the point that Botterill sent a message to the fans when he mentioned player preparation as being very important to the organization. He then went on to say how Kane is last one on and first one off the ice, as well as spending no extra time at the rink.

I think a lot of GM's played themselves if it was anything other than his actual gameplay that kept them away.

Definitely.

Plenty want to blame Murray, plenty want to blame Kane, and there are valid points to be had there, especially in regards to Murray in terms of the situation as a whole. But where this deadline is concerned, a few GMs likely bought into a character narrative that very easily may be irrelevant in this situation.

Kane has been quiet likely. He’s playing for a contract, his chance at a huge deal. Say what you want about him, he’s not stupid enough to step out of line right now. He’s going to impress with the Sharks.

Maybe the Sharks get in and play Winnipeg at some point and Kane gets the last laugh.

Edited by Thorny

On a rental? Sure.

Paul Hamilton tried to make the point that Botterill sent a message to the fans when he mentioned player preparation as being very important to the organization. He then went on to say how Kane is last one on and first one off the ice, as well as spending no extra time at the rink.

Was that in his presser today?

On a rental? Sure.

Didn't Botterill also say that come the deadline all the UFAs would be moved if the Sabres were not in the playoff hunt?  I seem to remember that. 

Management never has been a Buffalo strongpoint.

Too young to remember Punch?

(of course he did waste a pick on a non-existent Asian player once just for giggles)

Curious why everyone is so down on O’Regan. It’s like he’s an afterthought and y’all are just hung up on the draft pick. I’ve seen Danny ranked anywhere between 1st and 4th in the Sharks farm system. SJ has one of the weakest farms in the league, sure. But he’s still a top 100 prospect in the league.

Everyone clamors for Kane to be stapled to the third line for life.. DOR could be a solid third line center. Given our utter lack of secondary scoring, I’m excited about what he’ll bring. I don’t think he’s a cast-off to be discarded just because you didn’t get your shiny 30th overall pick.

I agree and the biggest thing we've been lacking is team speed, he is quite fast, skilled, was the 2016 AHL rookie of the year, I really like him and think he could be an asset for us, even as a 3rd line C. 

I agree and the biggest thing we've been lacking is team speed, he is quite fast, skilled, was the 2016 AHL rookie of the year, I really like him and think he could be an asset for us, even as a 3rd line C. 

Ya, speed is good. Maybe he pairs well with Rodrigues again. Could be 2/3 of a good 3rd line if we had good 1st and 2nd lines we'd be on to something. 

I went to a Barracuda/Roadrunners game last season in San Jose while I was there for work.   Entertaining game, one player really stood out as better than everybody else.... O'Regan.   Fast, skilled, making plays all over the ice, complete player.    Not sure what happened to him this season, but last season he stood out as a guy who was destined for the NHL.    

Well I've vented and am personally done bitching about Botterill for this season. I give him a failing grade on deadline day but it is what it is. Kane is gone, everyone else is still here (for now).

Let's just hope we get some effort from the rest of them and some entertaining games for the rest of this season. 

Good stuff.

It’s a 2nd, a 4th, and an AHL fixture/Depth NHLer for someone we could have lost for nothing. It’s really quite alright.

If one wants to me mad, be mad at the fact we are in a situation where we had to trade a player like this to begin with. The return itself is satisfactory.

Given the circumstances, from Kane being a rental, to league wide perception.

Moving on.

Good stuff.

It’s a 2nd, a 4th, and an AHL fixture/Depth NHLer for someone we could have lost for nothing. It’s really quite alright.

If one wants to me mad, be mad at the fact we are in a situation where we had to trade a player like this to begin with. The return itself is satisfactory.

Moving on.

good post, have to admit i was on a downer last night but i suppose the name Kane brings previous baggage and was the return always going to be low?

Lets see what the draft and free agency brings

Good stuff.

Moving on.

Great point

Missed this. It squares with my main beef with the guy: One of the lowest-hockey-IQ NHL hockey players I’ve seen.