GDT Sabres at Detroit 2/22/18 7:30 pm GR MSG

Brawndo

That was a back breaking goal. Sabres have a bad problem giving up late game tying goals. If they hold true to form, they will lose in OT.

I was going to bring it up and ask how many games the Sabres this season have given up the tying or lead goal in the last 2 mins. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s close to 20. Then they go and score the winning goal at the last second of OT. Good thing with Lehner’s track record in shootouts.

Just when I was thinking I don’t like Reinhart in OT he makes a brilliant play at the line to both keep it in and send away Larsson for the winner. I don’t track this stuff, but he’s got to be our best possession player. I do track points. He has 18 in his last 17 games.

Beaten by a weak wrist shot from inside the blueline? Check.

Failed to hug the post to allow a softie from the goal line? Check.

Backbreaking late goal with the game on the line? Check.

Yep just another day at the office for a mediocre NHL starter....Jimmy Howard.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Just when I was thinking I don’t like Reinhart in OT he makes a brilliant play at the line to both keep it in and send away Larsson for the winner. I don’t track this stuff, but he’s got to be our best possession player. I do track points. He has 18 in his last 17 games.

Failed to it the post to allow a softie from the goal line? Check.

Actually when he was centering the 3rd line, and I said this more than not, his line had the best offensive zone possession stats.

The kid does need good wingers and needs to work on his face offs.

Failed to it the post to allow a softie from the goal line? Check.

:lol:

Antipin with the HIT !

Next day memory here...

Open ice hit in D-zone?

It was a *stand my ground* hit?

I thought , that was nice. In a perfect world you would have learned the game in Rochester and be a nice addition next year. But the Sabres where desperate and there's his contract or rules or whatever so  we get to watch him learn on the fly. Which turned out not to hurt our playoff chances.

Next day memory here...

Open ice hit in D-zone?

It was a *stand my ground* hit?

I thought , that was nice. In a perfect world you would have learned the game in Rochester and be a nice addition next year. But the Sabres where desperate and there's his contract or rules or whatever so  we get to watch him learn on the fly. Which turned out not to hurt our playoff chances.

Open ice hit in the high slot.  Carubba Collision.

From what I saw in the highlights, the Sabres were 0.2 seconds away from a sure loss

They had a sure loss several times before that.  Fortunately for the Sabres, the Wings are even more inept than we are at burying opportunities.

Talk about an incredibly biased viewpoint. Kane has earned a contract... he wants to be the one who decides on where he will play next year.

What evidence is there that Kane ever wanted to stay here? Has he even said the standard UFA quote? You know “of course I want to be here, we have to see what works out.”

I'm not saying Kane expressed wanting to be here - nor am I saying I know what the team did and didn't want.  There's no way any of us could know. 

I'm just simply stating that on the ice he's earned a contract extension and unfortunately he's not getting or wanting one from us.  While he's an imperfect player for reasons widely debated - as a fan I've appreciated his on ice effort the last 3 years.  On a team where effort has been questioned - I personally never felt that was an issue with him. 

So for that reason I just find it disappointing that his production and effort are leaving when there's players without the production and unanswered reasons why,  staying.

Edited by 7+6=13

I'm not saying Kane expressed wanting to be here - nor am I saying I know what the team did and didn't want.  There's no way any of us could know. 

I'm just simply stating that on the ice he's earned a contract extension and unfortunately he's not getting or wanting one from us.  While he's an imperfect player for reasons widely debated - as a fan I've appreciated his on ice effort the last 3 years.  On a team where effort has been questioned - I personally never felt that was an issue with him. 

So for that reason I just find it disappointing that his production and effort are leaving when there's players without the production and unanswered reasons why,  staying.

I understand more now.  I think, frankly, he doesn't want to be in Buffalo.  The players who are staying at he moment (and I am not sure we know all who are really staying) are probably pieces that need to be here given their relative cost and performance.  There are just a few too many of those type of players at the moment.

I hope his reported friendships with current teammates makes him amenable to signing here July 1. I feel he's going to have more 30 goal seasons, especially on a better team.

nice pass Larry

At least he made up for his brutal penalty that got us to OT in the first place. This guy can’t be off the team soon enough for my liking.

Unless Botterill really has it in for the guy, I can't see how moving him now makes any sense at all.

This isn’t to advocate for trading him, but if the reason people wanted to avoid trading him earlier was because his value was perceived to be low, it could be argued that now is the time to trade him, if he’s rehabilitated his value.

Hot take: Reinhart has to be here and has to be the Sam of the New Year for the Sabres to ever be good in the foreseeable future.

Unless he’s getting moved for a similar type player (relatively high ceiling, good but not great start to career, young) I’m inclined to agree.

Unless he’s getting moved for a similar type player (relatively high ceiling, good but not great start to career, young) I’m inclined to agree.

Yes, although I would add one more alternative:  Reino being a borderline star won't be necessary if Mittlestadt is a star.

I just don't care how ugly they are a win is a win.

The Sabres played a good road game, while actually on the road this time.

They've been much better on the road than at home all season long.

Yes, although I would add one more alternative:  Reino being a borderline star won't be necessary if Mittlestadt is a star.

I like the prospect of two demi-stars (Reino and Mittelstadt) alleviating some of the pressure on Jack to carry the team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.