BREAKING: WAWROW: BOTTERILL SLAMMED A DOOR

PASabreFan

Friedman was on GR this and mentioned that it’s frustration on all levels of the organization about the fact there will be more pain before things are headed in the right direction

A very disappointing tweet to wake up to. Could we really be headed for another few years of a bottom of the league finish?

(I'm still hoping he's a solid 5/6/7 guy.)

He's also a UFA at season's end.

I'm starting to get a whiff of what Murray talked about one time. Paraphrasing, "We could do a long rebuild and I could have job security for five years, but I don't want that." AFAIC, Botterill is on the seat this calendar year. Let's remember — no one's asking for a Cup contender right away. But the 18-19 Sabres better resemble an NHL team and at least make a run at the postseason.

I'm starting to get a whiff of what Murray talked about one time. Paraphrasing, "We could do a long rebuild and I could have job security for five years, but I don't want that." AFAIC, Botterill is on the seat this calendar year. Let's remember — no one's asking for a Cup contender right away. But the 18-19 Sabres better resemble an NHL team and at least make a run at the postseason.

Agree completely.

I think the problem for Botterill is that the carnage of GMTM's attempt at an "accelerated" rebuild is extremely gruesome. A bunch of junk contracts for old guys who were supposed to be "leaders" and a bunch of players who are talented but either chronically hurt or in some way problematic to the team culture.

I think the problem for Botterill is that the carnage of GMTM's attempt at an "accelerated" rebuild is extremely gruesome. A bunch of junk contracts for old guys who were supposed to be "leaders" and a bunch of players who are talented but either chronically hurt or in some way problematic to the team culture.

At yet they put up back to back 80 point seasons under Bylsma.     

Wow what a bench mark polish up the participation trophies

80 points is hardly "extremely gruesome"... considering year 1 was Eichel's rookie season, and year 2 Eichel missed 1/3 of the season.

What's Housley's excuse for coming in 20 points under this "bench mark".  

And all this talk of "unlearning Bylsma's crappy system" is absolute bunk.    Give me one example where an "better" coach took over and ran the team into the ground just because they were all "brainwashed" by the previous coach.  

Edited by pi2000

80 points is hardly "extremely gruesome"... considering year 1 was Eichel's rookie season, and year 2 Eichel missed 1/3 of the season.

And all this talk of "unlearning Bylsma's crappy system" is absolute bunk.    Give me one example where an "better" coach took over and ran the team into the ground just because they were all "brainwashed" by the previous coach.  

As much as I hate thinking about it - I fear you may be right.  

Now this is a great question that drives home an unavoidable point:  although IMHO there's no way to know yet, it's certainly possible that Howie will wash out. 

Why do we think the problems are more personality-based than based on the fact Nelson, Beaulieau, Larsson, Girgensons, Pominville, Rodrigues and Pouliot are all playing significant roles?

I mean of course there are morale issues. The team is terrible and has been for quite some time.

This is where I'm at. I maintain that (perhaps subconsciously) people want it to be a mental/chemistry issue because it's a heck of a lot easier to swap out a couple pieces than it is to add six major parts. The need to add many significant cogs indicates a longer time line to competitive hockey than a quick culture change.

The team stinks. The team doesn't stink because it's unhappy; it's unhappy because it stinks.

Edit: this team needs two top-pair defensemen, two top-6 wingers, a goalie, and a 3C.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

The results speak for themselves.

Housley hasn't done anything to impress me. Additionally, Bylsma may have coached a system that masked weaknesses. But that doesn't change the fact that the way Bylsma coached was not conducive to the current NHL.

Again, Bylsma sucking was no guarantee that his replacement would be good.

Housley hasn't done anything to impress me. Additionally, Bylsma may have coached a system that masked weaknesses. But that doesn't change the fact that the way Bylsma coached was not conducive to the current NHL.

Again, Bylsma sucking was no guarantee that his replacement would be good.

Yep. In the current NHL advanced stats means more than wins and losses.

teehee

So nothing.

This is funny as hell. Thanks, I needed it after wasting time on that game.

From Elliott Friedman 31 thoughts

25. Some of the scouts/reporters who were watching Los Angeles at Buffalo last weekend said they haven’t seen a general manager all year as upset as Jason Botterill was during that game

Not sure why you'd want to associate yourself with that particular poster.

Because the irrational hatred of Bylsma around here spurred on by a vocal minority has people actually believing that we're somehow playing better this year with him gone. It's a crock.

We're on pace for less wins, less goals, more goals against, less shots per game, and I don't care to look at what else were are worse at this year.

How exactly are we better?

Because the irrational hatred of Bylsma around here spurred on by a vocal minority has people actually believing that we're somehow playing better this year with him gone. It's a crock.

We're on pace for less wins, less goals, more goals against, less shots per game, and I don't care to look at what else were are worse at this year.

How exactly are we better?

Yep.   It is a crock.   

The problem is that it doesn't fit the narrative that the players hated Bylsma and that Housley's system and player friendly approach was somehow going to open the floodgates and unleash the true potential of this group.       Reality is that they're worse in every single category... and it's not even close.    

Edited by pi2000

My own view is that Bylsma/Housley difference comes down to Bylsma recognizing that these guys can't pass or score so the best chance of maximizing points was to play a tight checking shut down as much as possible system and try to win close games with good specialty teams. This year Housley has tried to implement a faster more offensively focused system but they still can't pass or score so they have floundered and simply look lost all too often. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.