GDT: Lightning at Sabres 2/13/18 7:00pm MSG

Sabel79

Man, I hope so. There were players that I honestly didn't think were as quick as they showed tonight.

I also think Baptiste will be a nice full time addition next year. I think I want Falk on my hockey team moving forward, as well.

Is the defense-men whisperer starting to get through to his pupils?

I think it's the confidence they are getting as a team.

I don’t blame you but I think the team has turned a corner. Beaten Tampa and Boston in the last week. Over .500 in last 11 games. Good news is there is some optimism for next year. Bad news is there’s no way the team picks in the top 4.

Fun game, the crowd was actually into the game as the team gave something to cheer for.

And I think the passengers comment was the perfect description for this team

Actually we need to look at possibly drafting sixth as they are only 3 points behind Ottawa

Everyone just keep being negative. It’s working.

Tonight I was busy watching the game but also the men’s snowboarding finals. No time to post.

The team seems to have found another gear. They’ve gained confidence and they certainly look like they understand where they are supposed to be on the ice most of the time.

It’s nice to see.

6-4-1 in their last 11 the boys are getting better

Nice to see someone on here actually notice.

Does Casey Nelson honestly look good?

Don’t look. If you do it will disappear.

Thoroughly entertained.

Tampa didn’t bring their A Game, but they usually don’t need it to beat us.

Wilson, Reinhart (!) Baptiste, Girgensons, Okposo, Kane and especially O’Reilly with some of that relentless Rochester forecheck we’ve been hearing about.

PP has really starting coming on since they starting passing it to Sam at the goal line and Sam started making plays instead of just immediately giving it back to Jack.

Game turned on that 5-3 kill. Guys busted their ass there and both teams realized tonight Buffalo wanted it more.

Edited by Mick O’Manly

Totally missed the game, as we were out looking for a house to buy.

I liked the replays though.  Sam turning into Good Sam again.  I wish he would do that in October and press like that all year.  Maybe next year when the Rochester kids are all fighting for jobs on the big club he'll feel the pressure and show them how it's done.

Awesome win! Screw tanking. Let's learn how to be a winning organization instead.

Interesting how we started the season with 3 of our top 6 forwards producing (Eichel, Kane, Pominville) and the trio of supposed slowpokes not producing (Reinhart, Okposo, O'Reilly). Now with the Eichel injury, it looks like these groups have completely flipped.

So is Nelson for real?! If so, maybe I was wrong and maybe we are only a single elite defender (Dahlin?) away from having what you could consider a "good" defense corps of 8 next season, listed from best to worst in my opinion: Risto, Scandella, Guhle, McCabe, Antipin, Nelson, Beauioieuieioaaeuualuiueaeaeu, Bogosian. Nelson's arrival is most welcome because this team badly needs a quality right-hand shot defenseman aside from Risto.

Edited by FuhrUrsinne

Seemed that way. Pens teams in the late '90's tended to pick up their play when Lemieux was out. Let's hope these guys can keep it up (they won't get to play goalies w/ 3.88's every game unfortunately) & then remember to play like that when Eichel is back. Next season may not be as ugly as predicted.

Hear, hear.

Also: Please, HCPH, don’t fall into playing ROR 25 minutes a game (which is what happened last night).

The best part of this last several games is that it appears that Nelson and Antipin are legit and it bodes well for the Sabres future defense.

Seriously. Nelson especially — if he can keep up his current trajectory, he’s gonna be good.

Fun game, the crowd was actually into the game as the team gave something to cheer for.

And I think the passengers comment was the perfect description for this team

Actually we need to look at possibly drafting sixth as they are only 3 points behind Ottawa

Agreed, agreed.

The chirps about how bad the home crowd is can go away forever. Last night, the team showed a real pulse, and the crowd responded in kind. Getting some puck luck against a bad goalie helps, of course.

Well worth staying up for and watching the game.

Like Brawndo says if we may end up drafting in the top 6 instead of top 4 if we continue to play well. Wouldn't want see our chances of drafting one of the top 3 LW gone but winning is also important.

Edited by Sabre1974

Not at all worried about drafting 4th, 6th or 8th. 

We have enough high draft picks to be really good already in theory. Another high draft pick is only conjecture that this team will get good.

It's drafting the right player in the 2nd-4th rounds and the right free agent pick ups that will make this team and keep it good for years to come. My example of high drafting and bad choices is of course Edmonton. We cant be the Oilers 2.0.

Winning games and instilling confidence will go further than a draft pick that was picked 4th and not 8th.

I can't be the only one that thought after the Sabres went up by 2 goals there wouldn't be a prevent mode implosion.

Tampa scores to bring it within in 1 goal difference...... here we go.

The Sabres kept the for-check up, maintained a good deal of the 5 on 5 puck control and closed it out nicely. That was a big difference in play compared to pre-Christmas games.

Does Casey Nelson honestly look good?

If Hoss, X. and qwk were still around I'd be tongue-lashed for saying this (I wish), but he just looks like a defenseman. WASPy name, Canadian, good, solid hockey name (not Bodiy or whatever). I like the cut of his jib. What has Risto's Nordic hotness done for us? Why do we need more guys from hole hockey countries like Finland? We need more guys from Canada. (OK, I just googled Casey and he's from Minny. I will leave my idiocy untouched.)

Hear, hear.

Also: Please, HCPH, don’t fall into playing ROR 25 minutes a game (which is what happened last night).

Seriously. Nelson especially — if he can keep up his current trajectory, he’s gonna be good.

Agreed, agreed.

The chirps about how bad the home crowd is can go away forever. Last night, the team showed a real pulse, and the crowd responded in kind. Getting some puck luck against a bad goalie helps, of course.

The crowd applauds one two-man-down kill and the chirps can end? Not so fast.

MUST WIN!!

They somehow seem to rise to the occasion against good teams.  Tampa is not a good team.  They are great.

Therefore, 4 -1 Sabres tonight.  Lehner with the Miller shutout.

GO SABRES!!

Well, I was off a bit.

Really, though, you guys need to listen to me more often, eh.

:flirt:

;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.