Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I understand, but still, it hardly indicates a run-first approach.

It baffles me when fans continue to speak about this offense in this way. They don’t have enough talent for any approach. For this year, it is what it is. A non entity. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I understand, but still, it hardly indicates a run-first approach.

They threw it 13 times in the 1st half for 76 yards. Another 58 yards on 9 more attempts in the 3rd quarter. 60 garbage time passing yards on the drive that ended in a pick 6. Another 43 garbage time yards on the next drive. Another 35 on the drive he was injured, and then Peterman came in and miraculously completed 2 for 23 yards.

I appear to be missing 18 yards somewhere. But all of their yardage came with the game well out of hand. 28 throws in the 2nd half. So 22 passes through 3 quarters and 19 passed in the 4th. Give or take. I'm on my phone, so I apologise if I screwed anything up. 

44 minutes ago, SDS said:

It baffles me when fans continue to speak about this offense in this way. They don’t have enough talent for any approach. For this year, it is what it is. A non entity. 

There's no approach. There's no plan. There's no process. These guys have no idea what they're doing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabills said:

There's no approach. There's no plan. There's no process. These guys have no idea what they're doing.

I am not a fan of these sort of takes. I get it - you are disappointed.  To dismiss everything just because you aren’t happy today or because they have invited you and personally into their team meetings is not based in fact. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SDS said:

I am not a fan of these sort of takes. I get it - you are disappointed.  To dismiss everything just because you aren’t happy today or because they have invited you and personally into their team meetings is not based in fact. 

Ok, I went a little far, but I don't think I'm THAT far off. If they had plans at QB, WR, and O-line they were so irredeemably bad that they might as well have not had one. If the plan was to BE this bad, then why not go grab a decent vet QB to sit in front of your QB, who EVERYONE knows needs some time to grow, to take the hits that he's GOING to take because a) your wideouts will never be open and b) your offensive line is a sieve.

Why trade Tyrod at all? The year to tank was last year before you take a QB. Now that you're in "we have to pick a QB now" mode, why not keep him in there, and let Allen site comfortably behind a guy who doesn't take hits and doesn't throw picks?

Its just insanity. I can't imagine what they think the path forward is from here.

Edited by sabills

16 minutes ago, SDS said:

I am not a fan of this sort of take.

Fans can reasonably conclude that there was no (legitimate) plan with respect to the QB position, given what's transpired. 

I mean, there obviously was plan -- but is it worthy of being called a plan given how patently horrific and historically incompetent it has proven to be?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I am not a fan of this sort of take.

Fans can reasonably conclude that there was no (legitimate) plan with respect to the QB position, given what's transpired. 

I mean, there obviously was plan -- but is it worthy of being called a plan given how patently horrific and historically incompetent it has proven to be?

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ubkev said:

How many TD's did that lead to?

Exactly. If every drive goes 60yrds and stalls and you have 5 of them... who cares? 

57 minutes ago, SDS said:

They have no idea how to run an offense and until they prove otherwise we have the evidence before. Worst offense of the modern era. 

Here's what I think really happened:

They wanted a better QB. Ok, understandable. I liked TT, but you don't think he's the answer long haul, I get it. They knew before the 2017 draft that they were going to be drafting a guy the next year though, thats why they traded down (instead of just drafting Mahomes...but thats a different story)

So Beane comes in after the draft, he and McD look at the roster and think "hmm, this might just be a decent enough team to get us in trouble, lets do something about it". So they trade away Darby, trade away Watkins, and think they're a lock for a top 10 pick AT WORST, plus then having the KC pick should easily move them into the top-5, probably top-2. They'll have their man, or at least their second choice.

But then: disaster. The team is...kind of OK? They're 5-2, 1-0 in the division, and...now what? We have to actually go for it now? They trade for Benjamin and some how squeeze into the playoffs and 9-7.

And thats where they ran out of ideas. They thought they'd be able to get Allen with barely having to move, but instead have to spend a lot of assets to get up to pick him. They looked at their WR's and thought "meh, that's fine" with ZJ and KB, despite Jones' rough offseason and Benjamin never living up to his potential. They didn't know what to do at QB, so they brought in McCarron hoping he'd just win the job, but he looked exactly like he's always looked. Wood and Incognito leave and they're dead up the middle. Now they're trying to convince us and themselves that its all part of the plan, next year they'll have all these draft picks and all this cap space.

But good players don't move to bad teams in free agency, especially not WRs, and especially when you have very suspect QB play. At best this team is what, 3 years out from being decent? Thats assuming they hit on their picks. Meanwhile they're wasting a defense who actually knows how to play football. Kyle is 35, Lo is 35, and Jerry is 30, what happens when they disappear, too.

Edited by sabills
  • Like (+1) 2

I would tune in to watch Pryor play QB. I'd tune in to watch Barkley play QB. It's not that I'd expect them to do well, but given this point in the game, I would presume that the team is trying something and is just doing what it has to with what it has. It would be, in a vacuum, the logical thing I'd expect a team in this situation to do. So I'd tune in.

But I know what Peterman is. I've watched his progression. I've watched the horror that this team put HIM through, as well as that which he put US through. I cannot believe that they are trotting him back out there. With what has happened in his previous outings, with him being a national punchline, the worst QB so many people have ever seen, over journeymen bad QBs whose names have at least been tried out and heard of, names that don't come with the emotional and  national-discussion baggage that Peterman does. 

I can't believe they have the balls to do this. But balls is the wrong word, because that implies some sort of courage. I can't believe they have the audacity to do this to us. 

Take a walk, McBeane. I'm not watching your garbage

What should we do at QB next season?

i want Allen on the bench for this season and next.  I want a real vet (Fitzpatrick would have been nice) to tutor the kid.  

I hate the say this, but I’d bet that the Ravens move on from Flacco after this season.  He seems like the perfect fit for the mentor job. Our defense is good enough to win with if we just had a mediocre offense.  

If we draft and or sign some decent O-Line and a good runningback we might be able to field a decent team while Allen develops.  The nice thing about Flacco is that he is young enough to lead the team if Allen doesn’t develop. 

Peterman needs to be sent packing and their needs to be changes in the GM’s staff if the GM himself isn’t fired.

the Bills have 10 picks next draft but no extras until the 4th rd.  The Bills also have the 2nd most cap space available for next season.  

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What should we do at QB next season?

i want Allen on the bench for this season and next.  I want a real vet (Fitzpatrick would have been nice) to tutor the kid.  

I hate the say this, but I’d bet that the Ravens move on from Flacco after this season.  He seems like the perfect fit for the mentor job. Our defense is good enough to win with if we just had a mediocre offense.  

If we draft and or sign some decent O-Line and a good runningback we might be able to field a decent team while Allen develops.  The nice thing about Flacco is that he is young enough to lead the team if Allen doesn’t develop. 

Peterman needs to be sent packing and their needs to be changes in the GM’s staff if the GM himself isn’t fired.

the Bills have 10 picks next draft but no extras until the 4th rd.  The Bills also have the 2nd most cap space available for next season.  

And next? If Allen still isn't ready to play in year 2, then he's already a bust and we should draft somebody this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SDS said:

Just because there was a plan doesn't mean it was constructed or executed well. For all the talk about how detail-oriented McBeane is, did nobody raise their hand for 3 seconds and ask what if Peterman really is every bit as bad as the San Diego game showed? 

Partial joking aside, the most optimistic appraisal of their plan is that it's from about two decades ago. I think they believe the best way to "insulate" a young QB is to have a solid defense and run game, as to not ask them to do too much too soon. That's horribly antiquated. Jeff Fisher-esque, even. It's pretty obvious the best way to insulate a young QB in today's NFL is to load up on college concepts with simple, defined reads that get players open in space. That does infinitely more than a good running game. 

And if a good running game was the plan, then, well, they failed there too. I know that losing Wood and Incognito wasn't part of the plan, but both of those things happened before the draft. They had opportunities to address it, and opted to draft Harrison Phillips. Also, to the extent the plan was to address the defense first and the offense second, they surely didn't think they'd be fielding a contender for worst offense since the merger. So even in might of a plan, they still wholly misjudged the talent on offense (and may have picked a second dud coordinator in a row at the same time).

And it's going to have detrimental effects going forward, too. Everyone knows John Brown turned down our contract offer. Today on WGR it was reported the contract was 3 years $21M. He chose a 1-year deal in Baltimore instead. If a mid-pack WR like Brown turned down more money from us last year, why should we have any confidence we can just add Tate and Cobb after this debacle of an offensive season? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

And next? If Allen still isn't ready to play in year 2, then he's already a bust and we should draft somebody this year. 

Aaron Rodgers was the backup in GB for 3 seasons behind Farve.  Not being the man in Year 2 doesn't mean your a bust.  With our terrible O Line I much rather someone other then our prized rookie QB gets beaten up.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Aaron Rodgers was the backup in GB for 3 seasons behind Farve.  Not being the man in Year 2 doesn't mean your a bust.  With our terrible O Line I much rather someone other then our prized rookie QB gets beaten up.

I think Allen was the wrong pick, but I wanted to give Manuel 40 games (2.5 seasons) whether starting or not, and I'll do the same for Allen.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

/Sarcasm?  Because I almost fell outta my chair reading that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

He is prized because the bills gave up a lot to get him though ?

How else would you describe a QB who management paid an arm and a leg to acquire.  We walked into the draft with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and could have fixed our depth issues for years to come.  Instead we walked out with a solid LB and an inaccurate QB.  

The only way to salvage this pick if the talent is really there is to properly build an O Line and give him time to develop properly.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How else would you describe a QB who management paid an arm and a leg to acquire.  We walked into the draft with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and could have fixed our depth issues for years to come.  Instead we walked out with a solid LB and an inaccurate QB.  

The only way to salvage this pick if the talent is really there is to properly build an O Line and give him time to develop properly.

He's always going to be a big armed inaccurate QB. That's what he is. I would try and get the best WR and OL help available. For WR look for guys with great hands and body control outside their normal catch window. Javon Wims springs to mind. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.