Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

My personal rank or how I think they are viewed by the scouts?

1) Mayfield

2) Rudolph

3) Darnold

4) Rosen

5) Allen

6) Falk

7) Jackson - Great Athlete, mediocre QB.

Scouts

1) Darnold

2) Rosen

3) Allen

4) Mayfield

5) Jackson

6) Rudolph - I think scouts are worried he is a system QB. I think a 6’5 guy who can move and has a history of accuracy can play in any system.

7) White

8) Falk

I really don't understand how you can tag Jackson with the athlete/not-a-QB tag but not Allen. 

It’s cost vs value analysis. If I have to give up 12, 22, 53, 56 and 65 to get into the second slot, I’m not interested under any circumstances. If I can get to 4 or 5 and Mayfield is still on the board and I give up 12, 56 and something next year I’d definitely consider it.

But your cost vs analysis isn't putting together the full context. What is the point of having any sort of picks at all, if you don't have a QB? The cost of not making a trade up isn't really X amount of picks this year, it's all of the picks you will continue to spend on:

A) Trying to find that quarterback

B) on other positions that will leave in FA or be wasted because you don't have that quarterback

The Bills have literally spent 157 draft picks since 1996, the final year of Jim Kelley

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

In that time period, we have drafted 18 players that have made at least one Pro-Bowl. those positions are

DB, DT, DE, LB, C, G, RB, WR

Granted these are all just people we've drafted, that doesn't account for anyone in FA or trades we've acquired that have been elite players

So yes, we can lose the 4 picks you mention to get into the 2nd slot and give us the best chance at choosing the guy we believe is the best, we can wait and lose 1 pick and hope we get the QB we want in your second scenario, or we can wait until we give up no picks and hope we get it right at 12.

But in all of those scenarios, the further you go down in the draft, the less likely you are to get the guy you believe is the best. Does that gauruntee he is the best? No. But in my previous post, 99% of the time the best guy is found in the first 4 taken, and it just so happens that the 1st 4 taken this year are very likely to be taken before the Bills pick at 12. 

Personally I don't care what the cost is at all. We have seen elite talent at every position on this team, in every possible combination, for the last 20 years. In that time we've spent 157 picks, and only two of them were QBs in the 1st round. I get that you are taking a risk by trading up, but I think you're taking a larger risk by sitting put. 

@Schopptalk
 I've been told the October 29 MNF Patriots-at-Bills game is the only prime-time #Bills game of the season. #NFLSchedule
Edited by Jokertecken

Also

@LeadingNFL
 ESPN and the NFL Network have agreed not to “tip” picks for the first two rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft.

There will be no staffers to tweet out picks ahead of the podium picks for first couple of rounds. (via @richarddeitsch)

Who cares if they were the first QB or the 10th QB. It’s the results that count. Does anyone really care that Dan Marino was the 6th QB taken that year behind such greats as Ken O’Brien and Tony Eason, or that Kelly was 3rd after Elway and Blackledge?

I’m sorry, but I think long-term Rudolph and Mayfield will be the best two QB’s in this draft. The modern NFL wants guys who can pass accurately, but also move well in the pocket. Jackson and Allen aren’t accurate, Rosen doesn’t move well and Darnold moves ok but has a mediocre arm. If I can get Rudolph at 22 then I’m waiting, unless Mayfield is slipping and then I move up a couple of picks to make sure I get him.

You're missing my point, I am saying that you have the best chance of success getting one of the top 3 QBs in a draft.  You dont need to draft him in the top 5 every year, its just that THIS year, the top 3 will likely all go very early, probably top 5 picks.  There are outliers once in a while and you can cherry pick them from history, Dan Marino and Brady, but they are an exception that happen far less often.

My take: Giants and Bills are posturing to squeeze the Jests. Giants want Chubb, who they can get at 3, with Jests paying more to get their guy at #2. Buffalo waits to see what shakes out from picks 1-4 or 1-5 and attempts to move up if their QB is there. Beane willing to let the draft come to the Bills, but willing to take a shot if it presents itself. Old buddies, Beane and Gettleman, playing games to get NYJ to give up a little more. NYG get their guy and an extra pick. NYG repay the favor down the road.

Edited by oregelbundet oregelbunden

What's the deal with the schedule? Why do jack wads get all excited to see what given Sunday the teams meet up? I don't understand the hype. Three radio shows I listened too were practically jerking off with thoughts to the schedule. Especially Schopp. Not sure what skin he has in it but he sounds like he wants to spend some alone time with the NFL schedule. Who the cares?

Edited by inkman

What's the deal with the schedule? Why do jack wads get all excited to see what given Sunday the teams meet up? I don't understand the hype. Three radio shows I listened too were practically jerking off with thoughts to the schedule. Especially Schopp. Not sure what skin he has in it but he sounds like he wants to spend some alone time with the NFL schedule. Who the ###### cares?

Schopp is OBSESSED with the schedule. All I really care about is the prime time games, really.

But hey, local sports is in a bit of a rut right now, gotta talk about SOMETHING.

You'll like this, Ink: https://www.sportsmediaguy.com/blog/2017/4/20/the-nfl-schedule-and-stupid-sports-journalism

You're missing my point, I am saying that you have the best chance of success getting one of the top 3 QBs in a draft. You dont need to draft him in the top 5 every year, its just that THIS year, the top 3 will likely all go very early, probably top 5 picks. There are outliers once in a while and you can cherry pick them from history, Dan Marino and Brady, but they are an exception that happen far less often.

That makes no sense. So if the 2nd QB is drafted 49th and 3rd QB is drafted 85th we should expect one of those guys to work out, because they went in the top 3 QBs taken. If that were true they’d go much earlier in the draft.

My point is that in this draft I see little difference in the quality between Rudolph and the guys projected to go ahead of him.; so why would I waste my entire draft to get a marginal improvement in quality?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I hate to say this, but that schedule seems alot tougher than last years.

It literally always does. Last year we had to play a division which comprised half of the NFC playoffs, and were fine. 

Last year, the Broncos and Falcons games were two of the scariest going into the season. 

Meh, let's see what the teams look like in Fall 2018.

That makes no sense. So if the 2nd QB is drafted 49th and 3rd QB is drafted 85th we should expect one of those guys to work out, because they went in the top 3 QBs taken. If that were true they’d go much earlier in the draft.

My point is that in this draft I see little difference in the quality between Rudolph and the guys projected to go ahead of him.; so why would I waste my entire draft to get a marginal improvement in quality?

But that isnt going to happen, you're just making an extreme example to help your point, the chances the 3rd rated QB even makes it to 85 are pretty high.  

If Rudolph is almost as good as the top 3, then yes I would agree with you, stay put and hope hes there at 22, which he probably will be.  But, from all the reading I have done about Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Rudolph, Allen, Jackson, and what scouts have projected, I would rather take my chances trading up to Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield then sitting back and settling on Rudolph.  Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield are going to be able to takeover games and win them when other players are struggling or having a bad game.  Rudolph (again, based on what I have read about him) is a decent game manager system QB who on a good team will do fine, see Foles last year.

It literally always does. Last year we had to play a division which comprised half of the NFC playoffs, and were fine. 

Last year, the Broncos and Falcons games were two of the scariest going into the season. 

Meh, let's see what the teams look like in Fall 2018.

I think most fans are most worried about the offense.  Shady a year older, a whole new O-line (for the most part) even with a healthy Benjamin, one of the bottom WR corps in the league, we still have no idea whose going to QB (though I do believe AJ Mc will be under center to start) 

This could be a one step back year, let AJ Mc get destroyed most of the year, next off-season, we have almost $100M in cap space and another draft to add more talent.  

MMQB’s latest mock has Rosen falling to 9, with the Bills trading up to scoop him.

Allen to the Browns at 1

Darnold to the Jets at 3

Mayfield to the Broncos at 5

Jackson to the Ravens at 16

If the Browns go full-Browns and take the project at 1 (which we enabled them to do hehehe), it might start a domino where one of the other falls deeper than anyone expects. Like to 9 or 10. Bills might have to jump Miami to be sure.

I’m not sure why - but I am aggressively fed up with the NFL draft talk this year. Which is a little weird because you’d think I’d be super into it with the Bills such a big player.

That’s no slag on the good talk here, btw.

But it hit me yesterday: I’ve had enough. “Uncle.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.