Buffalo Bills 2018-2019

WildCard

Reminder that in the last 10 years, half of the Super Bowls have been won by Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, zombie Peyton Manning, and Ben Roethlisberger in the second worst season of his career. But tell me more about how great QB play is more important than ever.

0 replies0 retweets1 like

Retweet

Direct message

*ducks*

I know the argument about consistent competitiveness for a single franchise. I even agree with it. But the narrative has gone too far, IMO.

Oh, Wawrow.

You called me an anonymous interwebs clown.

Then I apologized (mostly).

But you never came back.

Welp. At least we can look forward to seeing reports based on your Russ Brandon leaks. #Hmmm

Is there a reason why we continue to throw rocks at this hornet nest rather than just move on already?

Here's a thought experiment: Rank the Bills QB's since Kelly and lets see how many we think could have won a Super Bowl if things had gone better. 

See, I think this thought experiment makes the same mistake though: viewing the league landscape only through our own experience as Bills fans rather than taking the wider view. That experience being the driving force between simply needing the team to find a franchise guy is completely understandable (and this is made all the stronger by getting our teeth kicked in by Brady). My issue is simply when that narrow experience is projected onto the league as a whole and magnified as some kind of general truth. 

TLDR: QB is far and away the most important singular position on a team, but unless you're talking about Brady/Manning/Rodgers level, the overall impact has become wildly overstated.

Because it's fun?

Which is more than I can say for the current draft coverage. I can't listen to WGR anymore. It's unbearable, and has been for weeks.

See, I think this thought experiment makes the same mistake though: viewing the league landscape only through our own experience as Bills fans rather than taking the wider view. That experience being the driving force between simply needing the team to find a franchise guy is completely understandable (and this is made all the stronger by getting our teeth kicked in by Brady). My issue is simply when that narrow experience is projected onto the league as a whole and magnified as some kind of general truth. 

TLDR: QB is far and away the most important singular position on a team, but unless you're talking about Brady/Manning/Rodgers level, the overall impact has become wildly overstated.

Which is more than I can say for the current draft coverage. I can't listen to WGR anymore. It's unbearable, and has been for weeks.

Actually, that's what I'm trying to do. Take the Billsiness out of the equation for a moment and look at just the QB's this team has had and say "okay, which of these guys could have won a Super Bowl" if we're looking at them on their own. 

Actually, that's what I'm trying to do. Take the Billsiness out of the equation for a moment and look at just the QB's this team has had and say "okay, which of these guys could have won a Super Bowl" if we're looking at them on their own. 

Im gonna go with none. Maybe Doug Flutie if he wasn't replaced for that game. 

Gotcha. I misunderstood. Flutie, Bledsoe, Tyrod. I'd never want to bet on any of them in a given year (which, admittedly, is kind of the source of the "QB wins" narrative), but with proper team construction I think they could all win one.

Mayock called Rosen a Sam Bradford sort of prospect.

Is that good enough?

I'm actually thinking it might be, at least for a while.

That is: A wonderful pure passer, accurate, but not very durable.

Bradford the prospect? That's absolutely good enough. Prospect Bradford was fantastic. Bradford the NFL quarterback? Hell no. That's nowhere near acceptable if we're trading assets to get him.

Change weeks to months

But what if we've is allergic?  I will hold you personally accountable for the results.

Woody can always prescribe him something

Bradford the prospect? That's absolutely good enough. Prospect Bradford was fantastic. Bradford the NFL quarterback? Hell no. That's nowhere near acceptable if we're trading assets to get him.

Well - I'm thinking it'd have to be a blend, if we are being realistic. The idea would be to have better luck with the durability issues. Just better luck, overall. I tend to like the idea of getting a very smart and accurate QB.

Im gonna go with none. Maybe Doug Flutie if he wasn't replaced for that game. 

Gotcha. I misunderstood. Flutie, Bledsoe, Tyrod. I'd never want to bet on any of them in a given year (which, admittedly, is kind of the source of the "QB wins" narrative), but with proper team construction I think they could all win one.

Bledsoe, and that's it.

What about Rob Johnson if his brains hadn't gotten scrambled? 

Well - I'm thinking it'd have to be a blend, if we are being realistic. The idea would be to have better luck with the durability issues. Just better luck, overall. I tend to like the idea of getting a very smart and accurate QB.

Sam Bradford's biggest issue isn't durability, it's that he just isn't that good. Sort of like Zach Bogosian, he's hurt so much that people have forgotten his play is wholly unimpressive. He's whatever. You don't give up major assets for whatever. How Bradford keeps bamboozling GMs out of tens of millions of dollars is one of the great mysteries of my lifetime.

What about Rob Johnson if his brains hadn't gotten scrambled? 

I tend to lean towards no, but then again, he did win a playoff game.*

Sam Bradford's biggest issue isn't durability, it's that he just isn't that good. Sort of like Zach Bogosian, he's hurt so much that people have forgotten his play is wholly unimpressive. He's whatever. You don't give up major assets for whatever. How Bradford keeps bamboozling GMs out of tens of millions of dollars is one of the great mysteries of my lifetime.

I think this is overly harsh. Bradford has never been great (obviously), but he's generally been good. 

I'm confident that GMs are not being bamboozled -- they're signing him for a reason. Now, mind you, the fact that Bradford gets the money he does for what he can do is most likely an indictment on the dearth of quality QB talent in the league. My point being: GMs are responding to market conditions -- they're not getting duped or anything.

If we were to give up some additional picks (but please not a king's ransom) in order to move into Denver's slot and choose Rosen, and Rosen turned out to be Bradford-like, but a notch above how Bradford panned out in the NFL, that'd be a very good or maybe great outcome.

Moving up to 5 should take 12, 22, and 56 I believe. Maybe a 3rd next year or something. Just because the Jets overpayed doesn't mean we should be dumb enough too. 

I think I am less concerned with Rosen's durability because he played behind a terrible line in college and was taking a lot of shots to make plays. A smart GM in the pros will actually build an offensive line. Buffalo should still draft the center from Ohio State who tore his peck at the combine. They need to keep pick 22 and take Isiah Wynn if possible. That would help to rebuild the line. If your line really is trash this season, start McCarron and rebuild it next year in draft and free agency. 

Moving up to 5 should take 12, 22, and 56 I believe. Maybe a 3rd next year or something. Just because the Jets overpayed doesn't mean we should be dumb enough too. 

I think I am less concerned with Rosen's durability because he played behind a terrible line in college and was taking a lot of shots to make plays. A smart GM in the pros will actually build an offensive line. Buffalo should still draft the center from Ohio State who tore his peck at the combine. They need to keep pick 22 and take Isiah Wynn if possible. That would help to rebuild the line. If your line really is trash this season, start McCarron and rebuild it next year in draft and free agency. 

All they have to do is outbid Arizona, and I'd think 12, 22 and a pick next year would be enough to do that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.