New Jersey Devils @ Buffalo Sabres, 7PM ET, 1/30/2018

Doohickie

Here is a fun stat about Jack from a little while ago

Removing Empty Netters affected Eichel both positively and negatively (circle moved down and to the left). He has been on the ice for 7 #SabresNHL_2017_2018_Buff_Sabres.png empty netters and 12 empty netters against BUF.

There were times, especially earlier this season, when Buffalo was absolutely dreadful with the extra attacker and you could almost bank on the empty netter.  You might also consider there have been a few times when HCPH pulled the goalie with several minutes left in the game when the Sabres were down by multiple goals.  The 12 EN goals against seems about right.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ability-roll-four-lines-buoying-sabres-recent-success/

Bill Hoppe article with a great quote from Baptiste "Scoring for me is obviously something I want to do, but it’s not my focal point right now, it’s doing all the little things right, things that allow me to stay in the lineup,” Baptiste said."

Edited by SkuggaLiger

I really like the idea that Baptiste is being groomed to be a speedy, effective, responsible bottom-6 player.

That's the sort of roster construction this team has needed for a while.

I mean, a guy like Larsson was targeted to fulfill such a role. I don't think he has the wheels to do it.

I really like the idea that Baptiste is being groomed to be a speedy, effective, responsible bottom-6 player.

That's the sort of roster construction this team has needed for a while.

I mean, a guy like Larsson was targeted to fulfill such a role. I don't think he has the wheels to do it.

No, but prior to his nasty injury Larsson was pretty effective in a shut-down role- very tough to play against.  I think there's a spot for that role on the roster still, but it may need to be in conjunction with the Baptiste speed role (i.e., Larsson will be fine, especially playing with Nick or someone like him.)

If I remember correctly, Larsson was at his best last year when Kane was on his wing.

The "Related Posts" on that page haven't updated in quite some time.  Among the headlines:

"Sabres send prospect Mikhail Grigorenko back to junior"

"Ott thrilled to be with Sabres, 'brother' Weber"

"Ted Nolan says Pysyk will be back with Sabres soon"

:blink:

Edited by Anordning

No, but prior to his nasty injury Larsson was pretty effective in a shut-down role- very tough to play against.  I think there's a spot for that role on the roster still, but it may need to be in conjunction with the Baptiste speed role (i.e., Larsson will be fine, especially playing with Nick or someone like him.)

You know - I forgot about that injury.

Jeez. Maybe a return to form for Larsson would be yet another shot in the shoulder for this club.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ability-roll-four-lines-buoying-sabres-recent-success/

Bill Hoppe article with a great quote from Baptiste "Scoring for me is obviously something I want to do, but it’s not my focal point right now, it’s doing all the little things right, things that allow me to stay in the lineup,” Baptiste said."

This expands on his episode of Americans Made. Chris Taylor told him his path to the NHL will probably be as a 3rd Liner and to work on his PK. A role he embraced thus far

There are 14 games before the deadline. You figure on average Kane should put up 9 points.  If you put him with Eichel he might get what? 12-15 points. That said I believe Evander has something like 3 points in his last 13 games. 

Here is a fun stat about Jack from a little while ago

Removing Empty Netters affected Eichel both positively and negatively (circle moved down and to the left). He has been on the ice for 7 #SabresNHL_2017_2018_Buff_Sabres.png empty netters and 12 empty netters against BUF.

I'm not sure I understand this stat...what it tells me is that Jack is put on the ice in critical situations.

I'm not sure I understand this stat...what it tells me is that Jack is put on the ice in critical situations.

Yep.  And that in those situations, the Sabres are losing more often than they're winning, thus a negative goal differential.  I don't put too much stock in it.

Yep.  And that in those situations, the Sabres are losing more often than they're winning, thus a negative goal differential.  I don't put too much stock in it.

I agree. The Sabres have played a lot more time in danger of having an EN goal against them (down at the end of a game) than they've played with the chance that they'll score an EN goal (up at the end of a game).

This expands on his episode of Americans Made. Chris Taylor told him his path to the NHL will probably be as a 3rd Liner and to work on his PK. A role he embraced thus far

Huh. I had kinda hoped he would be able to creep into the top 6 but it sounds like the organ-eye-zation has already made up their minds.

I hope you are not saying something that I hope you are not saying.

The idea that Kane, pretty much the only player who gave a crap when the season could be saved and produced a-plenty, deserves to be on the third line, that that's his place or something, is weird.

Huh. I had kinda hoped he would be able to creep into the top 6 but it sounds like the organ-eye-zation has already made up their minds.

Hardly.  If he continues to develop he will have a shot at top 6.  Think about someone like Justin Abdelkader- came in as a speedy forechecker but got duty on the top line eventually (he's sinking back down through the depth chart now, but he topped out in the top 6 for a while).

I think what they’ve said is you’re not jumping into a top six role immediately.

Make the team as a bottom sixer first, then keep trying to grow.

Skill-wise, I think we should be developing him as a bottom 6 player.  We've had our target for what makes a top 6 player too low for too long.

The idea that Kane, pretty much the only player who gave a crap when the season could be saved and produced a-plenty, deserves to be on the third line, that that's his place or something, is weird.

*touches nose and nods*

It's where he should be now if he's just going through the motions. Earlier in the year it would have been nice to see him on a line with ROR and Reinhart

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.