Beaulieu: So Much for Being Any Good

WildCard

I’m generally down on Beaulieu, but I didn’t think he looked bad yesterday.

Far different games, but he’s like Reinhart in the sense that he’s in the lineup to create offence but he isn’t.

Housley benched him the third for McCabe - interesting choice when the team is down a goal.

I guess I'm still ok with the trade. He definitely has talent. Third rounders rarely make any impact whatsoever in the NHL anyway. Maybe Beaulieu will finally figure it out in the next 1.5 seasons. Most likely he won't. Even so, I don't want to shame JB for making deals like this one.

Edited by FuhrUrsinne

Beaulieu is better than Gorges and is a decent 3rd pairing player. Problem is he's been spending a lot of time above the 3rd pair and with prime PP minutes, where all of his gaffes are magnified 10x.

He is. But Antipin is their 5th best D-man & he and Beaulieu together is a disaster waiting to happen. Antipin & either Gorges or Falk is far less likely to result in an Earth-shattering kaboom. ;)

Beaulieu has been a disaster, Antipin has been a disaster, Scandella has been a revelation. I guess 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

DIsagree.    Beaulieu and Antipin are who most of us thought they were.   

Scandella was supposed to provide some offensive punch, he's done nothing, and his play in the d-zone leaves a lot to be desired as well IMO.    I like his effort level, I just don't think he's anywhere near being a top pairing guy.    Risto and Scandella would make a nice 2nd pairing.    Everybody else is at best candidates for a 3rd pairing.    

McCabe has largely been a disappointment IMO, his d-zone play away from the puck is atrocious.   

I’m generally down on Beaulieu, but I didn’t think he looked bad yesterday.

Far different games, but he’s like Reinhart in the sense that he’s in the lineup to create offence but he isn’t.

Housley benched him the third for McCabe - interesting choice when the team is down a goal

I thought Beaulieu was one of our best defensemen last night, and was able to escape pressure effectively using his skating.

I find it pretty baffling that we play guys like Gorges and Falk over Beaulieu on a consistent basis.

McCabe has largely been a disappointment IMO, his d-zone play away from the puck is atrocious.   

If we want to talk about massive disappointments, McCabe has gone from Risto's partner on the top pairing to minimal impact train wreck. Oof. 

Frankly, is there anyone on this team not to be disappointed in other than the goaltender Lehner, Jack and Kane? Actually I'm slightly disappointed in Jack's progress but tend to think some of that's the team around him.

Edited by Radar

So much for that trade being a steal. Can't even seem to be a mainstay over Gorges in a lineup of garbage defensemen 

I think sometimes you have to take a chance on whether a player is just bad or needs a change of scenery.  I wouldn't say we have a bad group of DMen.  The team has talent but has not been able to put it together.  Is this because of coaching or player's lack of enthusiasm?  Who knows.  Risto, McCabe, Bogo I do think are top four with Antipin coming along.  We have a couple who are third pairing worthy.  I think McCabe and Risto are both capable of 1st pair responsibilities but much like Jack on the offense, Risto is not playing to his ability.  Bottom line is what we have on paper does not match on ice results.  Is this just one of those seasons or something else?  Again, who knows.

Beaulieu has been a disaster, Antipin has been a disaster, Scandella has been a revelation. I guess 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

Wtf?? What ever, have you even watched the games? How many goals against has Beaulieu been on the ice for lately?

He is an above average player who needs to contribute a bit more offensively. I don't know if that will happen but he is worth the gamble. If this team scored more goals no one would be complaining about Beaulieu

I thought Beaulieu was one of our best defensemen last night, and was abl

I find it pretty baffling that we play guys like Gorges and Falk over Beaulieu on a consistent basis.

He was and they don't. Housley plays him a lot, the other guys, not so much

• 3 months later...

This is really disturbing. Nathan Beaulieu and his father were involved in a violent incident a ways back 

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/habs-prospect-nathan-beaulieu-pleads-guilty-to-assault-charges/

At about 10:30 p.m., the group retired to Hackney’s home where they played hockey in the large detached garage.

Both Beaulieus were seen damaging some of Hackney’s property. Nathan Beaulieu used a goalie stick to smash a net and break some hockey sticks belonging to Hackney’s kids.

Vanderwal thought this was wrong and told the Beaulieus they should stop.

That suggestion, Monaghan said, “seemed to enrage Jacques Beaulieu.” He walked up to Vanderwal and said “who the (expletive) do you think you are?”

And with that, Jacques Beaulieu grabbed Vanderwal by the left shirt sleeve and ripped it off. Both Beaulieus attacked Vanderwal, who tried to leave, but not before he was punched eight times in the face, Monaghan said.

He was chased to his pickup truck by the father and son and had to lock the doors to get away from them.

Vanderwal was home shortly after 11 p.m. and immediately got a call from VanGeffen, who was still at Hackney’s, Monaghan said.

VanGeffen reported he was assaulted by the Beaulieus because “he would not tell them Vanderwal’s address.”

Jacques Beaulieu had grabbed VanGeffen’s shirt and “rag-dolled him around the garage,” tearing it, Monaghan said. Nathan Beaulieu joined in and punched VanGeffen under the right eye.

The assaults were allegedly alcohol fueled and these details make an already bad situation worse. At the time the charges were filed initially, the details of the altercations were not made public. 

This is really disturbing. Nathan Beaulieu and his father were involved in a violent incident a ways back 

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/habs-prospect-nathan-beaulieu-pleads-guilty-to-assault-charges/

Wow, that's from 2013 and it was never brought up when he the Sabres acquired him?  Ugh.  That's pretty bad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.