Carolina at Buffalo Dec. 15, 2017, 7pm, MSG

Eleven

Just finished watching the game on delayed fashion and haven’t read this thread since this afternoon.

This one’s hard to take. The team puts forth a creditable performance. Jack looks like a star. The goalie,

For all intents and purposes, puts three in his own net.

UGH........

Just got home.

What an adventure. Eichal with the hatty, the place was some what empty, but the funniest thing, my brother blew a tire as he was going up the on ramp of the 190. No spare, triple a and tow services busy beyond belief, he rode the rim up Niagara until the rubber finally flew off in front of the Roost.

Great time, picked up a Risto winter classic jersey for the Mrs.

First time I ever wore a jersey to a game. Reebok/Adidas Eichel home jersey.

Had such fun. Win, lose, didn't matter, another memory with family, that is what its about for me.

Lots to like tonight; as strong a game Eichel has played since last year. 

The team looks different since the lineup changes and Moulson hitting the road.

Tons of work remains.  Watch for the trade window to start to open in January.

Can't wait to see what Botts does first.  This team is going to look a lot different as time rolls forward.

At least that is my hope.

Some guys are playing better, others obviously can't do what's being asked of them.... Larsson, Bogo.

On the first CAR goal, both Risto and Scandella are in front of the net with O'Reilly chasing behind. The puck goes to the point and O'Reilly cruises up high to the point... so 3 Sabres up high, and then Johnson leaves the a juicy rebound on a silver platter. Pi minus to O'Reilly and Johnson, and a secondary Pi minus to Girgensons for not getting in the shot lane after Pominville chased the puck to the boards... which could explain why O'Reilly came up high expecting Girgensons to slide over.

CAR second goal is on Larsson, not tying up Staal, he tried, just too weak and small.. also Simpson way out of position, not in the shot lane too low in the zone. Pi minus to Larsson and Simpson.

CAR 3rd goal Bogo coughs it up on the dump in. Kane goes to the bench for new lumber instead of staying in his shot lane. Pi minus to Bogo and Kane.

CAR 4th goal, McCabe makes a bad pass, Antipin goes for a change without making sure the puck got deep. McCabe hustles back into position, Bogo makes an absolutely brutal play on the mini 2-on-1, he drops down to his knees without taking away the pass for the easy tap in. As a dman you must take away that pass. Johnson is out at the top of the crease taking away the angle on the shooter, expecting Bogo to take away the pass. He doesn't and they have an easy goal. Pi minus to Bogo and Antipin.

Edited by paj två tusen

Chad Johnson with his usual five against.

I quite liked Chad in his first stint here but he has been god-awful this seaon.

We've talked a lot about the switch Bylsma hockey to Housley hockey exposing goalies, I think we’ve focused too much on the wrong goalie. Maybe Lehner is better than I thought.

If Lehner was in goal we almost certainly would have won.

Edited by Bjorn Borg

Just got home.

What an adventure. Eichal with the hatty, the place was some what empty, but the funniest thing, my brother blew a tire as he was going up the on ramp of the 190. No spare, triple a and tow services busy beyond belief, he rode the rim up Niagara until the rubber finally flew off in front of the Roost.

Great time, picked up a Risto winter classic jersey for the Mrs.

First time I ever wore a jersey to a game. Reebok/Adidas Eichel home jersey.

Had such fun. Win, lose, didn't matter, another memory with family, that is what its about for me.

Nice!!

I'm not trying to be the "conciliatory guy", but I've been watching the Sabres for 47 years.  I used to live and die with them, and even when they lose today, it still hurts.  But my perspective has changed and I think I've earned the right to feel as I do after 47 years.

You have the right to feel any way you want!  (I just don't share the feeling.)

I recall being about the only one around here who favored Draisaitl back in the day. I backed down because everyone around here was enamored with Samson's "hockey IQ"... which at the NHL level seems to translate to "not physical, not fast, doesn't score."  :P

(it was a weak draft overall)

I know the main reason I wanted Reinhart is because he was a center--Draisatl wasn't--and the team desperately needed centers.  So it was Reinhart for me.

Years later, the team is relatively flush with centers and Reinhart isn't even playing the position.

Some guys are playing better, others obviously can't do what's being asked of them.... Larsson, Bogo.

On the first CAR goal, both Risto and Scandella are in front of the net with O'Reilly chasing behind. The puck goes to the point and O'Reilly cruises up high to the point... so 3 Sabres up high, and then Johnson leaves the a juicy rebound on a silver platter. Pi minus to O'Reilly and Johnson, and a secondary Pi minus to Girgensons for not getting in the shot lane after Pominville chased the puck to the boards... which could explain why O'Reilly came up high expecting Girgensons to slide over.

CAR second goal is on Larsson, not tying up Staal, he tried, just too weak and small.. also Simpson way out of position, not in the shot lane too low in the zone. Pi minus to Larsson and Simpson.

CAR 3rd goal Bogo coughs it up on the dump in. Kane goes to the bench for new lumber instead of staying in his shot lane. Pi minus to Bogo and Kane.

CAR 4th goal, McCabe makes a bad pass, Antipin goes for a change without making sure the puck got deep. McCabe hustles back into position, Bogo makes an absolutely brutal play on the mini 2-on-1, he drops down to his knees without taking away the pass for the easy tap in. As a dman you must take away that pass. Johnson is out at the top of the crease taking away the angle on the shooter, expecting Bogo to take away the pass. He doesn't and they have an easy goal. Pi minus to Bogo and Antipin.

Glad Botterill got rid of that Simpson guy

If plus/minus actually got assigned this way, it'd be a useful stat.

Near-tragedy after the game last night. People are telling me I've been told that Muffin Louise Van der Bean of Williamsville took a terrible tumble on the snowy sidewalk outside the arena — well, a slip that she caught in time — and lost an alpaca mitten that was said to have been "slightly soiled" by shoe crud from hundreds of peasants. Muffin, who suffers from vertigo and an allergy to certain sound frequencies, is reported to have been dizzy from the aftereffects of cheering and crowd "Waves" after a pair of Buffalo Sabre goals. Husband Chetley Arthur Van der Bean, same address, tragically suffered a one half inch tear in his Garbardine slacks when he attempted to brace his wife. Both are said to be emotionally devastated by the events and have retained counsel to consider a lawsuit against Jay Moran, the horn dude, Jack Eichel, Cam Ward, DJ Kool, Pegula Sports and Entertainment, and Buddy Iafallo of Lackawanna, who is believed to have started the Wave. The Van der Beans are known to have season tickets in the 200 level at the end where Eichel callously scored twice in 10 seconds. Muffin Van der Bean is a scrapbook blogger and Chetley is believed to work as a groundskeeper at the Buffalo Zoo.

Near-tragedy after the game last night. People are telling me I've been told that Muffin Louise Van der Bean of Williamsville took a terrible tumble on the snowy sidewalk outside the arena — well, a slip that she caught in time — and lost an alpaca mitten that was said to have been "slightly soiled" by shoe crud from hundreds of peasants. Muffin, who suffers from vertigo and an allergy to certain sound frequencies, is reported to have been dizzy from the aftereffects of cheering and crowd "Waves" after a pair of Buffalo Sabre goals. Husband Chetley Arthur Van der Bean, same address, tragically suffered a one half inch tear in his Garbardine slacks when he attempted to brace his wife. Both are said to be emotionally devastated by the events and have retained counsel to consider a lawsuit against Jay Moran, the horn dude, Jack Eichel, Cam Ward, DJ Kool, Pegula Sports and Entertainment, and Buddy Iafallo of Lackawanna, who is believed to have started the Wave. The Van der Beans are known to have season tickets in the 200 level at the end where Eichel callously scored twice in 10 seconds. Muffin Van der Bean is a scrapbook blogger and Chetley is believed to work as a groundskeeper at the Buffalo Zoo.

#narrative

:P

A few more notes.. now that I am much more sober.

On the first power play I believe they had a whistle in the Carolina zone and they traded out Reinhart for O'Reilly.  The camera was on Jack at the time and you could see him put his hands in the air and basically say :"WTF?".  I thought for sure it meant they were changing the whole unit out but it turns out only Reinhart was taken off the ice.

If you watch Eichel's reaction to McCabe scoring the goal you can see just how excited he is for McCabe.

Just things I like watching when you try and figure out what the locker room/bench politics are on the team and if there are issues.

On the first goal Scandella got pinched off the D coverage as he ran into the guy in front of the net that RIsto had.  It made it easy put back for the Carolina player.  Sigh.

Perspective, it looks like the Sabres are finally figuring out how to play together and are playing a lot better. Housley et sl said it would take some time. Most thought or hoped it would be sooner. Yet they are... problem is they need more talent especially at goalie and wing. So my expectations are limited this year. Progress is what Im looking for and the back end is looking much better. Antipin is gonna be a force. Bogo is playing smart what we hoped when we got him. Risto is slowler than I liked, but as his minutes go. down Im betting his energy and production goes up. If Beaulieu looks like he is turning a corner and McCabe is finally getting it. Scandella has a ways to go and hasnt taken the next step but not for lack of trying. Again Sabres need some more puck carriers forward talent in general and again a goalie. Team needs to push it even faster. We saw glimpses of it against Carolina. The wins will come if they keep ramping up the effort

Edited by Kottbullar

A few more notes.. now that I am much more sober.

On the first power play I believe they had a whistle in the Carolina zone and they traded out Reinhart for O'Reilly.  The camera was on Jack at the time and you could see him put his hands in the air and basically say :"WTF?".  I thought for sure it meant they were changing the whole unit out but it turns out only Reinhart was taken off the ice.

If you watch Eichel's reaction to McCabe scoring the goal you can see just how excited he is for McCabe.

Just things I like watching when you try and figure out what the locker room/bench politics are on the team and if there are issues.

On the first goal Scandella got pinched off the D coverage as he ran into the guy in front of the net that RIsto had.  It made it easy put back for the Carolina player.  Sigh.

Something that seems to happen fairly frequently this year - Risolainen & Scandella tending to get in each other's way. Really expect that to happen w/ less frequency in the new year & looking forward to them having chemistry together next year.

If they do manage to mesh, that alone will probably be worth close to 10 points in the standings.

I am glad that you gracefully took his sphincter point. Wait... no. Uh. Never mind.

Something that seems to happen fairly frequently this year - Risolainen & Scandella tending to get in each other's way. Really expect that to happen w/ less frequency in the new year & looking forward to them having chemistry together next year.

If they do manage to mesh, that alone will probably be worth close to 10 points in the standings.

10 sphincter points, that is.

Yeah, agreed. Defense awareness is lacking up and down the lineup. It's why I said last summer they need some bottom 6 guys who can defend... to take some pressure off the defense, and spell ROR late in games and on the PK. Was hoping they would've targeted a guy like Brian Boyle. Instead they're stuck with guys like Larsson, Josefson, Wilson (Simpson), and Nolan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.