GDT: Sabres at Sharks, Thu 10/12/17, 10:30 PM ET

Doohickie

Sabres determined to be out of the playoff race by the end of October for the 5th straight year...

The one positive I have is that I didn't think they were a playoff team going in. Now my concern is will they show marked improvement. So far I would say a step backwards but it's less than weeks in so still hope we'll see a much improved team in future.

The Sabres are now at the very bottom of the league standings at ESPN.com -  and the worst differential in the NHL at -9   

What do Botterill and Housley have to say about this horrible start?  It's not exactly a ringing endorsement for the efforts of either man.  If it weren't for the veteran Pominville, this team would have 0 points after 4 games.   

Remember how a couple years back, it was optimistically stated here that we were ahead of Toronto in the Rebuild?   How Leaf fans had years of 'pain' as Regier would put it, ahead of them while ours was finally at an end?   How Babcock, accustomed to winning in Detroit, would be frustrated in Toronto, and regret passing up coaching the up and coming Sabres?

Well, Toronto is #1 in the Division with 6 pts, while the Sabres are basically settling in at the bottom of the Atlantic, once again. 

Yeah.    

Unfortunately I do. Talent is still an issue, but I'm seeing a lack of fire in our guys, I couldn't compare last night's game to anything, as it was my first game I was able to watch, but I saw what seemed like a relatively disengaged team

Same. The only reason they were in this game is because San Jose was pretty much doing the bare minimum.

I thought effort was fine and play much less disorganized than last 2 games. Significant improvement over those 2 games, which were just not NHL-level efforts.

I also think implementing Howie’s team offensive system is gonna take some time. In the meantime they need their big guns to produce, esp on the PP, and they need Lehner to step up.

Yeah, that's about where I am with this team.

So glad we got Pomminstein; that's the only thing I would add.

It's disconcerting that we're leaning on him so much, but I'll take what I can get.

He's not a long term solution for Jack at RW though, which is a problem. But he has proven to be durable, so we might be able to get away with him there for a few years. 

I thought effort was fine and play much less disorganized than last 2 games. Significant improvement over those 2 games, which were just not NHL-level efforts.

I also think implementing Howie’s team offensive system is gonna take some time. In the meantime they need their big guns to produce, esp on the PP, and they need Lehner to step up.

This is what I saw, as well. Not the entire game but there were moments of playing as a team and there were even some flashes from our big guns.

And I was at least entertained.

:huh: How low is your bar? That was one of the most boring games I've ever watched.

Very. With this many new numbers (which I still haven't learned yet) and new coach, I'm not looking for much at this stage, but at least last night I saw it.

Very. With this many new numbers (which I still haven't learned yet) and new coach, I'm not looking for much at this stage, but at least last night I saw it.

I don't know what you think you saw, but what I saw last night was a trap. I saw San Jose doing the bare minimum, and I saw the Sabres occasionally take advantage of that. I saw Reinhart and Eichel put the moves on some Sharks players, but the Sharks were giving them that space, so how much credit can we really give the Sabres?

I don't know what you think you saw, but what I saw last night was a trap. I saw San Jose doing the bare minimum, and I saw the Sabres occasionally take advantage of that. I saw Reinhart and Eichel put the moves on some Sharks players, but the Sharks were giving them that space, so how much credit can we really give the Sabres?

They were just as disengaged as the last 2 games but Eichel woke up. Maybe we get one player back per game. So now we have Eichel and Kane. Who's next?

They were just as disengaged as the last 2 games but Eichel woke up. Maybe we get one player back per game. So now we have Eichel and Kane. Who's next?

It needs to be O'Reilly. That line needs to produce. 

San Jose is the weakest team we've played so far. The competition on this road trip is stiff. None of these teams are giving up goals. The same effort as last night is going to get us nothing but losses until we get to Detroit or Boston. 

I actually forgot about Girgs for a second. So Eichel and Girgs woke up. He was in beast mode working to create opportunities for his line.

Like I said in the lineup thread, that line needs to just cook a little bit now. I need to see what happens with the second line. Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo needs to go somewhere. A lot depends on whether Kane is helpful or not. 

Unfortunately I do. Talent is still an issue, but I'm seeing a lack of fire in our guys, I couldn't compare last night's game to anything, as it was my first game I was able to watch, but I saw what seemed like a relatively disengaged team

I think what we saw was fear.

This was a team that was trained to play not to lose that has suddenly been told to go for it.

They roared into the first two games like eager, sloppy puppies and got their noses slapped.

They stepped uncertainly out of the yard in game three, another dog smelled the fear and kicked their tails.

Last night was their "maybe Dan was right" game. Not much trust in themselves at the moment.

Phil has a lot of work to do to get them to play his way.

You would hope that these guys would play without fear.  Most are secure with their over burdened contracts ranging from 2-10 years.  10 guys are new and shouldn't be burdened with the Sabres recent past, including Johnson whose memories here are very positive.  Others, guys like Tennyson, Josefson, and Pouliot are playing for an NHL future and should be able to just go for it.  

Is the leadership group so bad that they already injected all the new guys with their bad attitudes?  

If this is the case it maybe time to do the Edm thing and scrap the whole thing, because the rebuild has already failed.

One thing is for sure.  We need to send some to the bench or out of the organization if we come home from the LC winless.

Edited by GASabresFan

I missed the third. Had an early flight.  One thing i wanted to note.  There was a shift where Josefson was caught out while Eichel was coming on.  The two together pressed the sharks with their speed.  I thought it was intentional i.e. the switch until Josefson went off.  It struck me that we are still bereft of speed in the nominal top 6 to play the attacking game. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.