The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

I think this is Botterill's plan anyway. I agree.

I agree with you as well.  While frustrating it seems that the plan is to season the young guys in a sheltered environment and let a bunch of players suffer through another year in Buffalo.  Move the parts that can be moved to obtain the longer term players.  As such, Pouliot and Kane are the top targets there without a doubt.  I think even Gorges and Falk might be traded, especially Gorges if a team thinks it could use a steady 6/7 D to shore up a young D corps for a Cup run.

Those picks and potentially prospects are helpful to the future.  The only player that can be moved now for a significant return is Kane.  There's no doubt the conversations are out there.  Does a team like Colorado take a shot at him if they keep winning?  If Vancouver keeps winning are they willing to part with a bit more because they can probably sign Kane to a long term contract there (with Sedins coming off the books next season?).  It seems to fit.  Vancouver is a young team that's winning now and could use a player like Kane to shore up the team this year and into next.

I think O'Reilly could be traded too if he'll pull enough of a return.

Who are they going to clear out though, and when? Quite a few poor contracts, and even Moulson's goes another year.

There are things we can do now

1) Send Moulson down.  Not likely to happen this season because we don't need the cap help, but next year he should be in Roch if we can't somehow trade him.  

2) Bogo should be bought out at seasons end. we get a 4 year cap hit, but save $4 mill each year for the next two years.  This could be the difference between keeping Kane or not depending on what Jbot wants to do.

3) Entertain offers for Reinhart.  At this point I'm keeping him because he's 22 and I can probably lock him in for 3 year 9-10 mill.  He'll out perform that deal once other talented forwards arrive. Still if we could get a top 2 line D for him, we'd have to consider it considering we only have one legit D prospect in Guhle.   

4) Move on from Girgensons, Larsson, Tennyson, Falk, Nolan, Griffith, Josefson etc.. Anybody that some wants at the deadline needs to be traded.  I love Z, but if Wowie isn't going to play him in anything but a depth role, I think we are wasting the kid.  Larsson is a nice Pker, but his lack of size and speed doesn't fit here anymore.

5) Lehner.  I actually like his effort each night.  We'll never know if he could be a excellent goalie because he'll never play behind a good D.  Keeping him for another year at $4 mill is a waste.  Trade him for what we can get and next season give the goal Ullmark and a someone else (as long as $2 or less). 

6) I'm not trading Pommers.  We need someone on this team who has the right attitude.  He also has just one year left on his deal.

7) Kane: biggest ?  Keep or trade.  I'm still in the trade camp.  I think it is going to take Jbot 3 years to fix this mess.  Kane will be 29 by that time.  How much tread will be left on his tires considering his style of play and injury history.  We already have ROR and KO with long-term K's that they won't perform to.  I don't want another.  I admit I could be wrong on this one.  Kane has been our best player this season with no one even close.  But we aren't winning with him either.  I also think Jack is focused on getting Kane that puck.  We might want to try to separate them.  ROR made a slick pass to Kane.  Lets try Kane there and see if Jack goes back to shooting.  Having Sam as a playmaker for Jack works for me.

8) I'm keeping McCabe.  Good depth player and cheap contract.

9) I think we are stuck with Okposo and ROR, so I'm penciling them in long-term.

10) I like Antipin.  He's getting better every game.  We might have something by year end.  A third pairing of Antipin and McCabe would be excellent.  Baloo is take or leave at this point. Trade him in the off-season?

11) I might bring up Smith for a look see

Lineup to try now

Pouliot  Jack Sam

Kane ROR Pommers/KO

Smith Big Z Pommers/KO

Larsson  Criscuolo Nolan

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Kill me. 

Yes we lost last night, and yes Kane scored off of an Eichel feed. But did we really need to put them back together so quickly? Do we really think Jack learned his lesson?

Or is this just going to be a thing? Take Kane away from Jack to make him put some effort in and then reunite them when you think he's working hard enough?

Kill me. 

Yes we lost last night, and yes Kane scored off of an Eichel feed. But did we really need to put them back together so quickly? Do we really think Jack learned his lesson?

Or is this just going to be a thing? Take Kane away from Jack to make him put some effort in and then reunite them when you think he's working hard enough?

It screams 'I need immediate results so I can take the pressure off me'

Kill me.

It's hard for me to disagree. I think the possibility of creating more dynamic lines separating them outweighs the net benefit of having them together. We've seen other good players finish Jack's feeds. Pominville, Reinhart both did it with regularity. Being able to get product tin out of Girgensons, Okposo or whoever you put there would be so vital to this team's success. Ugh!

Kill me. 

I think the bolded is likely it, more less. Housley sees Kane as/has him stapled to First Line LW. When Jack gets demoted, he's removed from Kane's line. When Eichel has the favour of the coach, he'll be playing with Kane.

As of now, Josefson is still on IR. Somebody (Griffith, please) goes when they activate him, I guess.

Technically Griffith or whoever wouldn't HAVE to go down, as Josefson being activated puts us at the max 23 on the active roster.

Per Botterill Alex Nylander will be made available to Sweden for the World Juniors if Sweden wants him

Don't like it.

He's already dominated there, and he's missed so much time already this year, I think he'd be best served development wise by playing in Rochester.

Jason Botterill feels otherwise.

He wouldn’t have made this call if it wasn’t the case.

Obviously Jbot wants Nylander to gain some confidence, have some fun playing against players of his own age and he may even be showcasing him for trade.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN