The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

Per John Vogl, Sam Reinhart, 4th line RW. I think this says alot about where our locker room problems lie.

Sabres’ new lines:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Nolan-O’Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Criscuolo-Moulson

Girgensons-Larsson-Reinhart

The coach? If they are gonna do Sam like that for whatever reason, may as well just get him outta here.

The order that the lines are listed are *not* indicative of which line is the first line, second line, etc.  We saw that when Jack was "bumped down" and played more minutes than any other center a few games ago.  Do you really think a line with Crisco and Matty Mo is the third line?

The order that the lines are listed are *not* indicative of which line is the first line, second line, etc. We saw that when Jack was "bumped down" and played more minutes than any other center a few games ago. Do you really think a line with Crisco and Matty Mo is the third line?

I disagree. I think those lines are in order.

Got demoted below Moulson, Pomminstein, Okposo, Criscuolo, and Larsson. That's brutal. Time for the ol' 'Reinhart will be fine' slogan to be put to death?

The return for Reinhart would be very interesting.

I honestly think we'd only be looking at someone like a Sam Bennett. A "two players needing a scenery change" type deal.

Though, with his paltry production this year, I don't think he'd be enough. Only 4 points.

Granted, Sam R. only has 10.

Edited by Thorny

I honestly think we'd only be looking at someone like a Sam Bennett. A "two players needing a scenery change" type deal.

Though, with his paltry production this year, I don't think he'd be enough. Only 4 points.

Granted, Sam R. only has 10.

I'd vomit if we received Bennett back for anything other than Bogosian.

Granted I get your point though. I'm sure there are some other young guns out there like that 

Edited by WildCard

I'd vomit if we received Bennett back for anything other than Bogosian.

Granted I get your point though. I'm sure there are some other young guns out there like that

Yup.

If the Bennett example isn't palatable to you, try, I dunno, Kassian for Hodgson. THAT's a hockey trade we can get behind!

I THINK BOGO actually has way more value

More value than Reinhart?

My guess is Bogosian has negative value. Botterill would have to pay someone to take him, due to his contract and the fact he's always hurt.

Edited by Thorny

I disagree. I think those lines are in order.

On the story about today's practice on the Sabres website, they showed the lines in this order:

9 Evander Kane - 15 Jack Eichel - 29 Jason Pominville

17 Jordan Nolan - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 21 Kyle Okposo

28 Zemgus Girgensons - 22 Johan Larsson - 23 Sam Reinhart

67 Benoit Pouliot - 51 Kyle Criscuolo - 26 Matt Moulson

Reinhart's line is the 3rd line.

Pouliot's been a great add.  Good speed, good skill, a scoring touch, great complementary player.  Still likely a one-year guy but maybe they'll keep him on next year too.

The one-year contacts JBot added- Nolan, Josefson, and Pouliot, have all played better than my expectations for them.  I wouldn't mind keeping any of them on but I hope their services won't be needed next year due to players coming out of Rochester.

Edited by Doohickie

On the story about today's practice on the Sabres website, they showed the lines in this order:

9 Evander Kane - 15 Jack Eichel - 29 Jason Pominville

17 Jordan Nolan - 90 Ryan O'Reilly - 21 Kyle Okposo

28 Zemgus Girgensons - 22 Johan Larsson - 23 Sam Reinhart

67 Benoit Pouliot - 51 Kyle Criscuolo - 26 Matt Moulson

Reinhart's line is the 3rd line.

Moving Nolan to the 2nd line and Pouliot to the 4th is just plain stupid. Pouliot has 6 goals and Nolan isn't really very good at hockey. 

Phil is desperate. 

Moving Nolan to the 2nd line and Pouliot to the 4th is just plain stupid. Pouliot has 6 goals and Nolan isn't really very good at hockey. 

Phil is desperate. 

As I said upthread,

I really don't worry too much about lineups in a practice on a non-game day.

I'm not sure why you think it's ok for him to not do better. That's his job. To improve the team.

If all we are asking him to do is sit on his hands, and allow the players his scouting team tells him to draft to marinate in college/Rochester, I could have been GM.

He's getting paid the big bucks. Find a way to sign Kane. Find a way to move a bad contract (Bogosian, Moulson, Okposo). Find a way to acquire a young NHL-ready D-man.

It's not my job to figure out how he makes this team better. I'm just aware of the fact that it's his job to do so. Botterill gets a pass for the Sabres on-ice performance this year, he can use the season to evaluate what we have, and strengthen Rochester, and next year significant improvement for the big club is a must.

We simply can't (and won't) trot out the lineup you outlined, it's not good enough for next season.

---

As to Bogosian: if buying him out allows us to sign Kane, it's valuable enough just for that reason. Because yes, his salary is certainly impeding signings. 5 million in wasted cap space is a lot.

I'm not saying it's not okay for him to not do better.  I am merely discussing the options for the pieces that he has to work with.  The ONLY options he has are to trade away players (WHO?) or to sign UFAs?  (WHO?).  I don't see a lot of UFA signings that will dramatically change this team either (when do they ever?).  So, if he's trading the question is.. WHO?  WHO has value?

We'll judge him on what he is able to do absolutely.  However, you can't fault the guy if he's not able to salvage value from pieces that had no value to begin with.  He didn't bring them to the team.

I'm not saying it's not okay for him to not do better.  I am merely discussing the options for the pieces that he has to work with.  The ONLY options he has are to trade away players (WHO?) or to sign UFAs?  (WHO?).  I don't see a lot of UFA signings that will dramatically change this team either (when do they ever?).  So, if he's trading the question is.. WHO?  WHO has value?

We'll judge him on what he is able to do absolutely.  However, you can't fault the guy if he's not able to salvage value from pieces that had no value to begin with.  He didn't bring them to the team.

+1