The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

I have tweaked my ankle many times and I have not been out of commission for 4 - 6 weeks ever.

What gives?  Is that just mumbo jumbo to cover up some more serious injury?

High Ankle Sprain?

LTS, I agree with the idea that Jbot is working towards bring up a wave of players from Roch next season. It certainly makes sense financially for the franchise. We need to get some lower cost and hopefully effective players on the NHL roster.

However, does that projected roster really look to you like a step forward from this year? It looks much the same, especially on D and without this year’s best player. I think Bogo will be bought out. You aren’t bring Guhle up to sit as the 7th D. I also don’t think Lehner will be retained. My guess is Jbot trades Lehner at the deadline for a backup goalie and a draft pick, not unlike the Halak, Johnson and Neuvirth deals TM did. Dumping Lehner and Bogo, actually gives Jbot the money to re-sign Kane if he is so inclined. Also, I think Pouliot stays and gets another 1 year deal if continues to play well be the deadline.

I don’t mind the John T idea, but again he is already 27. How much and for how long? Also do we really need another 30 year old big $ star when this team finally turns the corner?

I didn't mean to project prioritization.. just the roster.

You can believe he's not leaving the island... you can try all you like.  But he's leaving there.  

A roster with a group of forwards who can provide secondary scoring is nice.  If Fasching/Bailey/Smith can't get it done then there will be some pain for a bit longer.  There's not much else you can do about it.

Every UFA with value will be dumped at the deadline to provide picks/prospects for the future.  If Botterill wants to keep Pouliott he'll be signed before the deadline.  I just don't see it happening.

Lehner is an RFA... they can go dumpster diving for a goaltender next year but they'll put ALL their eggs in the Ullmark basket and I don't see that happening.

BTW, Risto has been really good this year

https://twitter.com/Puck_Prose/status/935201600863391744

cool, now the guys with the calculators are seeing what Sabres fans have seen for awhile!  Would still like to see him with a few less minutes 

I really want Nylander to stay in Rochester so he can play with Mittelstadt for a year. Same with anyone else that can

Tavares is never leaving the Island

I don't think Mittelstadt leaves Minnesota  if Rochester is a possibility. If he leaves college, he's playing with the Sabres IMO. 

cool, now the guys with the calculators are seeing what Sabres fans have seen for awhile!  Would still like to see him with a few less minutes 

I don't think Mittelstadt leaves Minnesota  if Rochester is a possibility. If he leaves college, he's playing with the Sabres IMO. 

Probably, but I really don't want that. If we can get one year of him, Nylander, and a few other of those core prospects together in Rochester to win and grow as a group, then we're golden. If not, I feel like we're just going to continue the cycle

When I look at what Botterill said on his interview the other night.. it seems that everything this year is to get to next year.  They learn what they have and put themselves in a position to build in his eyes (not Murray's).

So, I don't think E-Rod gets called up except as an emergency. 

Next year's roster looks a lot like some combination of:

Eichel - Reinhart - Nylander

ROR - Okposo - Pominville

Girgensons - Fasching - Bailey

Larsson - E-Rod - CJ Smith

Ristolainen - Scandella

Bogosian - Beaulieu

McCabe - Antipin

Guhle

Lehner and Ullmark in goal

Gone by the end of the year are the UFAs: Pouliot, Kane, Gorges, Nolan, Falk

They'll pull some picks or prospects that will prime Rochester for the next few years.  I think he'll still trade a few other players if he gets the right deal...

Oh.. and somewhere in there I would put Tavares' name.  It's going to happen.

If they do end up trading Kane, I'd be disappointed if the trade doesnt bring back at least 1 prospect who is NHL ready.

Probably, but I really don't want that. If we can get one year of him, Nylander, and a few other of those core prospects together in Rochester to win and grow as a group, then we're golden. If not, I feel like we're just going to continue the cycle

I get that cause i really want the Amerks lineup to be left alone as much as possible this season. That being said, I'm hopeful that they can win in Buffalo next season as a group.

When I look at what Botterill said on his interview the other night.. it seems that everything this year is to get to next year. They learn what they have and put themselves in a position to build in his eyes (not Murray's).

So, I don't think E-Rod gets called up except as an emergency.

Next year's roster looks a lot like some combination of:

Eichel - Reinhart - Nylander

ROR - Okposo - Pominville

Girgensons - Fasching - Bailey

Larsson - E-Rod - CJ Smith

Ristolainen - Scandella

Bogosian - Beaulieu

McCabe - Antipin

Guhle

Lehner and Ullmark in goal

Gone by the end of the year are the UFAs: Pouliot, Kane, Gorges, Nolan, Falk

They'll pull some picks or prospects that will prime Rochester for the next few years. I think he'll still trade a few other players if he gets the right deal...

Oh.. and somewhere in there I would put Tavares' name. It's going to happen.

This projected Roster hasn't improved on this year, Botterill will have to do better than that.

And Bogosian coming back is unacceptable.

LTS, I agree with the idea that Jbot is working towards bring up a wave of players from Roch next season. It certainly makes sense financially for the franchise. We need to get some lower cost and hopefully effective players on the NHL roster.

However, does that projected roster really look to you like a step forward from this year? It looks much the same, especially on D and without this year’s best player. I think Bogo will be bought out. You aren’t bring Guhle up to sit as the 7th D. I also don’t think Lehner will be retained. My guess is Jbot trades Lehner at the deadline for a backup goalie and a draft pick, not unlike the Halak, Johnson and Neuvirth deals TM did. Dumping Lehner and Bogo, actually gives Jbot the money to re-sign Kane if he is so inclined. Also, I think Pouliot stays and gets another 1 year deal if continues to play well be the deadline.

I don’t mind the John T idea, but again he is already 27. How much and for how long? Also do we really need another 30 year old big $ star when this team finally turns the corner?

I agree with this a little more.

Josefson tweaked his ankle and is out 4-to-6 weeks.

Per Hamilton

"Tweaked". This team is the worst with injury updates.

Devils fans said Josefson could never stay healthy. We need to start staying away from these guys.

Edited by Thorny

where would the Sabres be if they had Sergachev and Butcher in their line-up? 

Though (I think) Butcher didn't sign here because he didn't see and immediate opportunity as he did with the Devils and it would be even more unlikely he signs if Sergachev was in the fold.

Murray, seems to have made a big mistake in not taking Sergachev (not a knock on Nylander) but Sergachev shoulda been the pick, rumors are that he asked for Sergachev when the Canadians asked about Kane.

This projected Roster hasn't improved on this year, Botterill will have to do better than that.

And Bogosian coming back is unacceptable.

I'm not sure how you think he's going to do better.  Where does the "better" come from?  UFA signings?  Maybe.  Trades?  If he trades Reinhart at best he's getting prospects or picks.  If he trades Kane I would hope for a solid D roster player in return and more.  But you can't project it yet.

Still.. MASSIVE changes aren't coming because they can't. Okposo isn't being traded.  ROR? maybe.  Eichel, not a chance.  Moulson?  nope.  Bogosian?  Nope.  You can buy those players out but that doesn't net you a player.. it frees up space that has to be replaced by an AHL player or a signing from somewhere.  I just added some of the AHL players to the roster.. who's left?

If he can pull more for the UFA trades than I believe he can then perhaps there are more changes, but it's limited right now.

You say Bogosian being here is unacceptable.  Do you propose to buy him out?  If his salary is not impeding the Sabres roster signings then they might as well keep him (if they can't trade him).  If buying him out is more advantageous then perhaps it happens.. we just need a body to fill the space.  It's gonna be a JAG though.

If they do end up trading Kane, I'd be disappointed if the trade doesnt bring back at least 1 prospect who is NHL ready.

I get that cause i really want the Amerks lineup to be left alone as much as possible this season. That being said, I'm hopeful that they can win in Buffalo next season as a group.

I agree... Kane nets the most.. and especially if they trade him soon.  It's just hard to project who that player will be... so I filled with what is available from the team.

I'm not sure how you think he's going to do better.  Where does the "better" come from?  UFA signings?  Maybe.  Trades?  If he trades Reinhart at best he's getting prospects or picks.  If he trades Kane I would hope for a solid D roster player in return and more.  But you can't project it yet.

Still.. MASSIVE changes aren't coming because they can't. Okposo isn't being traded.  ROR? maybe.  Eichel, not a chance.  Moulson?  nope.  Bogosian?  Nope.  You can buy those players out but that doesn't net you a player.. it frees up space that has to be replaced by an AHL player or a signing from somewhere.  I just added some of the AHL players to the roster.. who's left?

If he can pull more for the UFA trades than I believe he can then perhaps there are more changes, but it's limited right now.

You say Bogosian being here is unacceptable.  Do you propose to buy him out?  If his salary is not impeding the Sabres roster signings then they might as well keep him (if they can't trade him).  If buying him out is more advantageous then perhaps it happens.. we just need a body to fill the space.  It's gonna be a JAG though.

I agree... Kane nets the most.. and especially if they trade him soon.  It's just hard to project who that player will be... so I filled with what is available from the team.

the only way you get someone to take Moulson is if you take back a LTIR player. Maybe someone will think Moulson provides some help on their PP and would prefer a warm body who can play over the LTIR player?

David Clarkson is the guy I keep thinking would be a good trade for both parties.

I'm not sure how you think he's going to do better. Where does the "better" come from? UFA signings? Maybe. Trades? If he trades Reinhart at best he's getting prospects or picks. If he trades Kane I would hope for a solid D roster player in return and more. But you can't project it yet.

Still.. MASSIVE changes aren't coming because they can't. Okposo isn't being traded. ROR? maybe. Eichel, not a chance. Moulson? nope. Bogosian? Nope. You can buy those players out but that doesn't net you a player.. it frees up space that has to be replaced by an AHL player or a signing from somewhere. I just added some of the AHL players to the roster.. who's left?

You say Bogosian being here is unacceptable. Do you propose to buy him out? If his salary is not impeding the Sabres roster signings then they might as well keep him (if they can't trade him). If buying him out is more advantageous then perhaps it happens.. we just need a body to fill the space. It's gonna be a JAG though.

I agree... Kane nets the most.. and especially if they trade him soon. It's just hard to project who that player will be... so I filled with what is available from the team.

I'm not sure why you think it's ok for him to not do better. That's his job. To improve the team.

If all we are asking him to do is sit on his hands, and allow the players his scouting team tells him to draft to marinate in college/Rochester, I could have been GM.

He's getting paid the big bucks. Find a way to sign Kane. Find a way to move a bad contract (Bogosian, Moulson, Okposo). Find a way to acquire a young NHL-ready D-man.

It's not my job to figure out how he makes this team better. I'm just aware of the fact that it's his job to do so. Botterill gets a pass for the Sabres on-ice performance this year, he can use the season to evaluate what we have, and strengthen Rochester, and next year significant improvement for the big club is a must.

We simply can't (and won't) trot out the lineup you outlined, it's not good enough for next season.

---

As to Bogosian: if buying him out allows us to sign Kane, it's valuable enough just for that reason. Because yes, his salary is certainly impeding signings. 5 million in wasted cap space is a lot.

Edited by Thorny

Dump Lehner and buyout Bogo nets over 7 mill in cap savings next season, contingent upon bringing up Ullmark next season at 750 K, dumping Johnson, replacing him with a back up at $2mll and giving Bogo’s slot to Guhle.

Now you have enough to keep Kane. I’m still for trading him however, but readily admit he has been our best player ytd.

Some of what KTS suggest has to happen for cap reasons. However, there is room in th budget for an upgrade or two at forward.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Per John Vogl, Sam Reinhart, 4th line RW. I think this says alot about where our locker room problems lie.

Sabres’ new lines:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Nolan-O’Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Criscuolo-Moulson

Girgensons-Larsson-Reinhart

Edited by We've

Per John Vogl, Sam Reinhart, 4th line RW. I think this says alot about where our locker room problems lie.

Sabres’ new lines:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Nolan-O’Reilly-Okposo

Pouliot-Criscuolo-Moulson

Girgensons-Larsson-Reinhart

Got demoted below Moulson, Pomminstein, Okposo, Criscuolo, and Larsson. That's brutal. Time for the ol' 'Reinhart will be fine' slogan to be put to death?

The return for Reinhart would be very interesting.