The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

I played RW as a left shot.... This was sooooo long ago, but i always remember a lot of the guys I played with like to play "off wing" as the angles for shooting were much much better

As a defender you want to play off wing for sure, so that you can cover the blue line with your reach. 

As a forward I found it was easier for me to dig the puck out and win battles as a right handed shot playing RW. I was never as good a shot so getting to the middle of the ice with the puck wasn't a big deal for me. If I had opportunities they came from sliding to the left side on the cycle to pick up a pass. 

Gotcha, that makes more sense, for mucking it up on the boards then having same wing, same shot is much better.... I was always smaller and faster than everyone, so I cherry picked a little, so that's why it worked for me

Gotcha, and yes for mucking same side and same handle for me is better as well. On the cycle and as a center I guess it was pick and choose depending on the D I an facing - and where the open ice is.

Off wing can also be tricky on the breakouts, where a lot of passes will be on your backhand. If you cut to the middle to be on your forehand you need to look out for a Scott Stevens type of hit.

Your shooting angles are far superior.

Like many things in life, it's finding the right balance and comfort level.

Okposo to my knowledge has never played his off wing 5v5 in the NHL. Reinhart has not either except for a couple shifts this season. Why force them to do it when you don't have to?

Well, he's not lighting it up right now.  So why not?

I am sure there are a lot of reasons.  At this point, with the way the Sabres are performing I am not sure I would pencil in anyone for any position definitively.

Off wing can also be tricky on the breakouts, where a lot of passes will be on your backhand. If you cut to the middle to be on your forehand you need to look out for a Scott Stevens type of hit.

Your shooting angles are far superior.

Like many things in life, it's finding the right balance and comfort level.

This. I'm mostly a left-shooting RW and the zone exit thing is real. But so are the benefits for setting up the quick wrister.

Wowie keeps shortening the bench in the third. Granted we are usually behind, but .......

I wonder if it is time to start double shifting Jack and a couple of others earlier in the game?  Maybe putting Jack with KO or Samson for a few shifts will get them going.

I'm also keeping Bailey up when Z returns.  

Bailey Jack Pommers

Kane ROR Samson

Pouliot Girgensons KO

Moulson Larsson Nolan

Griffith

Josefson to the AHL.

Josefson to the AHL.

I think that was the plan all along.  They knew Bailey "had it" in camp, but he didn't show it.  So they sent him down and told him he needed to earn his promotion, and earn a continued spot on the team.  A few games in and he's definitely been a spark plug for the team.  He's using his speed to get opponents on their heels which sets the table for his line mates.

Wowie keeps shortening the bench in the third. Granted we are usually behind, but .......

I wonder if it is time to start double shifting Jack and a couple of others earlier in the game?  Maybe putting Jack with KO or Samson for a few shifts will get them going.

Bailey Jack Pommers

Kane ROR Samson

Pouliot Girgensons KO

Moulson Larsson Nolan

Griffith

Josefson to the AHL.

Well, it looks like Howie is pretty committed to keeping Kaner and Eichel together.

Maybe:

Kane-Jack-Bailey

Zemgus-ROR-Pommer

Pouliot-Reino-KO

Griffith-Larsson-Nolan

Moulson

#Sabres practice is underway at HarborCenter, with some tweaks to the lines:

Pouliot-O'Reilly-Pominville

Kane-Eichel-Okposo

Nolan-Reinhart-Bailey

Moulson-Larsson-Griffith

Per LaBarber

Johan Larsson be like:

tyit3.jpg

When did we call up Redmond?

Defensive lines:

Scandella - Risto

Antipin - Redmond

McCabe - Tennyson

Paul HamiltonVerified account @pham1717 28m28 minutes ago

More

Defense. 6 55. 93 38. 19 5 (27)

Saturday... In the park... I think it was the 4th of Joo-Lye

Sabres’ power play: O’Reilly-Reinhart-Eichel, with Antipin-Ristolainen.

Kane-Okposo-Pominville, with Scandella-Tennyson.

I like not having Eichel on the point for now.  Let the D patrol the blue line and shift in a pseudo umbrella fashion to still get Eichel the one-timer look but not having to worry about the blue line anymore.

Tweaks to lines at #Sabres practice:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Pouliot-O'Reilly-Okposo

Girgensons-Reinhart-Bailey

Nolan-Larsson-Griffith/Moulson

Per LaBarber

D Pairings

On defense:

Scandella-Risto

McCabe-Tennyson

Antipin-Redmond

Falk-Fedun

Edited by BRAWNDO

Tweaks to lines at #Sabres practice:

Kane-Eichel-Pominville

Pouliot-O'Reilly-Okposo

Girgensons-Reinhart-Bailey

Nolan-Larsson-Griffith/Moulson

Per LaBarber

D Pairings

On defense:

Scandella-Risto

McCabe-Tennyson

Antipin-Redmond

Falk-Fedun

If they would only flip Kane and Zemgus.