The New Lineup Thread

GASabresIUFAN

Sometimes you guys really over value our roster from last year. Seem to forget how bad this team was.

Of course you try to trade Larsson before waiving him - if you can. I'm sure the Kings tried to trade Nolan too but at this stage of the season most teams don't look to trade for 4th liners, they usually give their younger guys or minor leaguers a shot first. It just becomes a salary issue and nothing more.

I think Larsson is probably on the roster, I just said it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't.

It's not about being attached to last year's roster. Contract status plays a way bigger part than you want to admit to yourself.

Since Botteril seems to be focused on improving Rochester as much as he is on improving Buffalo he's not going to expose people to waivers that he doesn't have to because he wants to build up the roster in Rochester as well.

If that means Griffith stays up to avoid sending him through waivers even though Baptiste performed just as well simply because Baptiste can be sent to Rochester without passing through waivers (just an example, I'm not sure of the waiver status for either player) than I think that's going to impact who stays and who goes.

Edited by Drunkard

Sometimes you guys really over value our roster from last year. Seem to forget how bad this team was.

Of course you try to trade Larsson before waiving him - if you can. I'm sure the Kings tried to trade Nolan too but at this stage of the season most teams don't look to trade for 4th liners, they usually give their younger guys or minor leaguers a shot first. It just becomes a salary issue and nothing more.

I think Larsson is probably on the roster, I just said it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't.

It hasn't nothing to do with last year. You don't like Larsson that's the issue. He's better than Moulson, Deslauriers, and Baptiste easily. Why not waive a worse player? Larsson last night was one of the better players out there. Certainly better than Moulson.

Further it isn't a salary issue. Larsson makes next to nothing. 1.48 mil I think and he's 25. Half the league could fit him under their cap.

Edited by LGR4GM

Is it time to start worrying about the D.  Bogo is hurt hopefully minor but given his injury history, Scandella is mostly practicing and not playing (is his hip not 100%) and McCabe is week to week with a hopefully return of soon.  Those three are critical is we are going to turn this team around, especially McCabe and Scandella.  Where does the put us if they can't start the season?

Is it time to start worrying about the D.  Bogo is hurt hopefully minor but given his injury history, Scandella is mostly practicing and not playing (is his hip not 100%) and McCabe is week to week with a hopefully return of soon.  Those three are critical is we are going to turn this team around, especially McCabe and Scandella.  Where does the put us if they can't start the season?

Well, I think it shows or will show that not only did they add quality but also quantity to the mix on D. That is especially true if Tennyson and Cody Gfoldooty can play. Antipin and Beaulieu look ready to fit in. Georges is still here and is way better than nothing in a pinch. Falk is a good player and there is Fedun, not to mention we have a kid in Rochester ready at the call. So the injury situation looks like something that can be weathered.

Sabres are probably going to have to place two defenseman on waivers. Goldof is in camp on a professional try out so not sure what they do with him on Tuesday at five

Bailey, Des, Fedun to the Roch.  Goloubef shown the door entirely. 

Here's a question, who's going to take that extra forward position? We have 12 F, 9D, a 2G. The D makes sense seeing as we may have as many as three D out for the opener, but is Botts intending to poach another player of waivers? sign someone? Recall another forward? Is ERod to be ready by the opener?

*Edit: Missed Griffith who's not listed on CapFriendly for some reason

Edited by thewookie1

Bailey, Des, Fedun to the Roch.  Goloubef shown the door entirely. 

I, like many, wanted Bailey to stick.  He just didn't do it.

Not too surprised Goloubef didn't get a contract. If the parent club ever gets healthy, Ra-cha-cha is fairly well set at D. Falk (or Gorges, whoever isn't pressbox sitter), Fedun, Tennyson, Guhle as the top 4 isn't awful for the AHL.

Disappointed that Bailey didn't grab the spot but not really moreso than Baptiste & Fasching also not stepping up.

Here's a question, who's going to take that extra forward position? We have 12 F, 9D, a 2G. The D makes sense seeing as we may have as many as three D out for the opener, but is Botts intending to poach another player of waivers? sign someone? Recall another forward? Is ERod to be ready by the opener?

Moulson would be an obvious choice at 13. Not getting ice time won't set his game back any.

Sad to see DLo waived, the guy gives max effort. Hopefully gets claimed or down to Roch. I wasn't impressed that Nolan did anything better.

I expect Moulson will be the extra forward that will play occasionally, like Gorges on D when all are healthy. Purely contract-cap reasons to keep them.

Sad to see DLo waived, the guy gives max effort. Hopefully gets claimed or down to Roch. I wasn't impressed that Nolan did anything better.

I expect Moulson will be the extra forward that will play occasionally, like Gorges on D when all are healthy. Purely contract-cap reasons to keep them.

They assigned him to Ra-cha-cha. Unless the sun explodes later today he will either be claimed by another team (unlikely but possible) or will find himself an Amerk (probable).

Goloubef was the only one punted from the organization today.

No surprises to me...

...but to the original topic:

After last night, I think Reinhart needs to be on Eichel's wing to put up impressive numbers. As others pointed out, #1 priority is finding the right chemistry to play on Eichel's wings. If Samson was to center a 3rd line, that'd leave him with whatever crumbs are left over, and that will not put him in a position to succeed at center. He's an impressive player, but he's not someone who can control the flow of play (because of his lack of speed and strength).

So Griffith, Josefson, Nolan and ERod are all ahead of Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching.

It's too early to give up on Fasching, but if Bailey and Baptiste don't have more than a cup of coffee in Buffalo this year, it will be time to assume that they aren't ever going to do so.

I guess that also means that if Reino is going to be the #3C, it will probably be with Pouliot and ERod or Griffith as his wingers.

Yeeeeeeeesssshhhh.

So Griffith, Josefson, Nolan and ERod are all ahead of Bailey, Baptiste and Fasching.

It's too early to give up on Fasching, but if Bailey and Baptiste don't have more than a cup of coffee in Buffalo this year, it will be time to assume that they aren't ever going to do so.

I guess that also means that if Reino is going to be the #3C, it will probably be with Pouliot and ERod or Griffith as his wingers.

Yeeeeeeeesssshhhh.

If Rodrigues is still nursing the wrist injury, can't necessarily say he's ahead of the "big 3."

The others would appear to be ahead of them. Though I could definitely see Nolan sliding if any of the kids step up in Ra-cha-cha.

No surprises to me...

...but to the original topic:

After last night, I think Reinhart needs to be on Eichel's wing to put up impressive numbers. As others pointed out, #1 priority is finding the right chemistry to play on Eichel's wings. If Samson was to center a 3rd line, that'd leave him with whatever crumbs are left over, and that will not put him in a position to succeed at center. He's an impressive player, but he's not someone who can control the flow of play (because of his lack of speed and strength).

Or with ROR

None of these moves is much of a surprise. The AAAA RW's need to play big minutes, all could be returned without going through waivers nad none proved that they were currently better then 4th line players at the NHL level. I still think one of these guys will figure it out. My guess is Bailey. I wouldn't be surprised if one is traded for a natural LW.

I also think the guys that did make it should feel overly secure in their positions. All could be best out by mid season if the kids plus Nylander play well in the AHL.

It seem consistent with Botterill's philosophy of making the kids earn their spots.

Griffith was better than Bailey last year and probably better than Bailey in camp.

I'm glad Falk made it and Antipin deserved (as opposed to was gifted) his shot.

My question is what happens when to Gorges when Scandella and McCabe are back?

The two guys above are clearly better, and Tennyson may have been too.