2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I expect plenty of enjoyable individual moments from those players. I just happen to think they're going to be, unfortunately, buried with some pretty bad team play. It's similar to the first post-tank season for me when I was excited to see Eichel and Reinhart as kids with O'Reilly and Kane as good vets, while still having very little expectation for the team in the standings. Only difference is this time Sam and Jack are the vets I want to watch, and Dahlin and Mittstadt are the kids.

Ha! Fair. 

The boldedis pretty much where I'm at.

I actually am very expectant that the '19-'20 season will be quite good.  (Somewhere between Loafs results of the past 2 years.)  But, between having little faith in Housley @ this point & the on-paper strength of the East, tossed in w/ the expectation that the D pairings will be pretty much brand new (though Scandella-Ristolainen will probably be eating more minutes than they should), my expectation is ~84 points.  (Though would love to be under estimating them.)

That '05-'06 team had many factors workingin their favor that this team will be lacking.  1st off, no Ruff.  Ruff changed his coaching strategy to match his talent.  Housley has not demonstrated this  yet.

Though there has been speculation that O'Reilly was a dressing room problem; that's not a given he was.  Satan was DESPISED by his teammates and was absolutely addition by subtraction.

The '03-'04 Sabres were one of the hottest teams in the league in '04 & the '04-'05 Amerks had a long playoff run.  

Not seeing any of those indicators w/ the guys coming in this season.  (At least not many.)

Maybe Hutton/Ullmark being similar to Biron/Miller, but IMHO Miller/Biron had a better pedigree & Miller won the job out of camp.  Will actually feel better if Ullmark wins the job.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Maybe Hutton/Ullmark being similar to Biron/Miller, but IMHO Miller/Biron had a better pedigree & Miller won the job out of camp.  Will actually feel better if Ullmark wins the job.

I'm okay either way.  If Ullmark is truly #1, that's awesome, but if he's an understudy for a year or even two, that's okay as long as Hutton is effective, and as long as Ullmark isn't just stagnating.

Somebody elsewhere laid out the fact that of the recent cup winners (say, since 2009) only the Kings and the Caps really had two established bona-fide top 4 right handed defensemen. 

Niskanen+Carlson, and Doughty+Voynov. On the other teams you were seeing Rundblad, old Lovejoy, McQuaid, guys like that as the second best righty. 

I'd always be happy to add another righty to our group, but I don't think it's the most important thing in the world. Especially if you have a guy like Dahlin who enjoys the right side. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I see Ullmark as being the Biron comparable and someone like UPL being closer to the Miller mold. 

Think you're right on Ullmark, unfortunately.  And think the Sabres next Miller will, for the foreseeable future, be played by Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film.

Are we going to win the Stanley Cup, nope. Are we going to make the playoffs, probably not but I'm ok with that as long as we see some vast improvement in play and don't see a repeat of last years train wreck. I'm very optimistic about a big improvement in play. An ESPN article http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24119636/nhl-stacking-how-all-31-teams-improved-free-agency puts us as the 2nd most improved team in the offseason so far. 

That doesn't necessarily mean anything but the pessimistic outlook on this team by some here has me confused and I'm just as frustrated with the recent results as anybody. There's a bunch of if's on this squad but the addition of Dahlin should vastly improve the D and if Bogosian and McCabe give them a full season (between the 2) they have 4 NHL defensemen on the squad with Guhle-Pilut and some other young guys in the background.

Casey isn't going to be ROR out of the gate but if he's the real deal, line 2 should be ok and say what you may about Sobotka and Berglund but they're legitimate 30-40 point producers on the 3rd line which them alone will give us 50 more points total than our 3rd line gave us last year.

Playoffs maybe not but a big time improvement in play I believe we are in store for out of this team. The biggest question for me is can Phil H coach these guys up or not.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

His arm quads tho...

Those are triceps and biceps, back of the arm triceps, front biceps.... guess you don't work out anymore... ?

And yes they look impressive, now if he actually will use them for something....     hockey related that is....

Kevin Bieksa says Buffalo and Arizona are talking with him.   He wants to play one more year to gain US citizenship.   He plays on our beer league team.

IMO he'd be a good mentor for Dahlin, he's a solid dude.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Kevin Bieksa says Buffalo and Arizona are talking with him.   He wants to play one more year to gain US citizenship.   He plays on our beer league team.

IMO he'd be a good mentor for Dahlin, he's a solid dude.  

I love the fact he’s on your bar league team lol

He'd be a useful vet to have on a one year deal, gritty, good locker room guy and is a righty shot. I doubt his stats are great but he’s certainly the type of vet we’d want.

Edited by dewookieen
  • Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, dewookieen said:

I love the fact he’s on your bar league team lol

His kid plays on the same team as another guys kid and he got him to come out and play most of the season for us.   He's in fantastic shape, probably 5-8% body fat and strong, fwiw he still wears the old school garter belt and jock... ❤️

Anyway our jerseys are the old royal blue dark Sabres jerseys but with "Hounds" logo as the crest.   We talked a bit about Buffalo and he's very familiar with the city and heard lots of good things from other players.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

We can’t trade Hunwick but we can bury him.

We could trade Beaulieu or try him on LW

We could deal McCabe for a LWer

We don’t need to worry about Bogo’s spot since he’ll be out 35+ games as always anyway

I’d take Bieksa or Orpik on a 1 year deal just to play a bit but more so to help Dahlin 

9 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

If we want to add Bieksa, we may as well have kept Gorges. 

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute ... the Sabres may sign Gorges.

Always will like him, as he waived to come to a team fresh off a ####, but not to Toronto.  That is priceless.

Give Gorges a scouting job or D coaching job, but not as a player. I think Bieksa still has something in the tank.  I think he skates pretty well but I'm not sure at this point if he is a step up on Hunwick.  

Also why can't Scandella mentor Dahlin.  He has 455 games under his belt.  That is plenty of experience. 

33 minutes ago, N S said:

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute ... the Sabres may sign Gorges.

Always will like him, as he waived to come to a team fresh off a ####, but not to Toronto.  That is priceless.

Yeah, and Moulson came back to the Sabres after getting traded away at the deadline.  Just because they chose to come here doesn't make them all-stars; in fact the truth is closer to the opposite.

At this point I want to see someone else in Gorges's roster spot, but I didn't really have a problem with him on a limited-use basis last year.  He seemed particularly effective in shutting down McJesus.

16 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, and Moulson came back to the Sabres after getting traded away at the deadline.  Just because they chose to come here doesn't make them all-stars; in fact the truth is closer to the opposite.

At this point I want to see someone else in Gorges's roster spot, but I didn't really have a problem with him on a limited-use basis last year.  He seemed particularly effective in shutting down McJesus.

I would bet my left nut this isn't true 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.