2018 - 2019 Lineup

Tondas

On 7/16/2018 at 2:12 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

That said Van forwards may look similar, but they don't have any forwards with the upside of Eichel or Mittetstadt (although I really like Boesser).  They also have zero decent D.  Edler is 31.  Their youngster Hutton and Pouliot would be below McCabe on our depth chart.  They have no one as good as Risto and they don't have a Dahlin coming.  

Boesser put up 29 goals and 26 A’s in 62 games in his 20 year old season. This will be Casey’s 20 year old season (3 months older than Boeser) and I seriously doubt he’s gonna do anything like that.

I’d say Mittelstadt might have the upside of Boeser. But I’d also say Boeser might have the upside of Eichel. If Casey can exceed Horvat’s career that will be a win.

39 guys played for the Sabres last season including 4 G, 13 D, & 22 F.  Here is our most common roster last season based on games played; all non goalies played at least 46 games.  No non listed skater played 41 games or more.

L1 Kane Eichel Okposo

L2 Erod ROR Reinhart

L3 Wilson Girgensons Pominville

L4 Pouliot Larsson Nolan

D1 Scandella Ristolainen

D2 McCabe Falk

D3 Beaulieu Antipin

Lehner Johnson

8 of these players are already gone from the organization.  As our reserves Moulson, Gorges, Josefson and Griffith. (and Fasching).  Another 4, Larsson, Girgensons, Beaulieu and Pominville should also be replaced

The Replacements

Kane —— Sheary

ROR ——Mittelstadt

Pouliot —- Sobatka

Girgensons - Berglund

Nolan — Baptiste

Pomminstein — Thompson

Larsson - Girgensons/O’Regan/other

Falk - Dahlin

Baloo - Guhle/Pilut

Antipin - Bogo/Nelson 

Lehner- Hutton

Johnson - Ullmark

19 minutes ago, Sakman said:

Boesser put up 29 goals and 26 A’s in 62 games in his 20 year old season. This will be Casey’s 20 year old season (3 months older than Boeser) and I seriously doubt he’s gonna do anything like that.

I’d say Mittelstadt might have the upside of Boeser. But I’d also say Boeser might have the upside of Eichel. If Casey can exceed Horvat’s career that will be a win.

Edit: I don't think this is quite right. This will be casey's 19-20 year old season, whereas Boeser this past year was 20-21.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Sakman said:

Boeser is a year behind Casey in his NHL debut. He had two years of college.

I don't expect Casey to put up Brock's rookie numbers, but I do think he will have a better career.

I like me some Brock, but his ceiling is Thomas Vanek, IMO.

Another interesting Brock note: Casey gets dumped on a bit for his 30 points in 34 games last year. Boeser had 34 points in 32 games before signing in Vancouver. 

Edited by dudacek

10 minutes ago, Sakman said:

You realize that Boeser is almost 2 years older then Mittelstadt and was drafted 2 years before Mitts . Casey doesn’t turn 20 until late November.  While your comparison is interesting it’s a year off.  Boeser played two years in college before jumping to the NHL. Mitts is actually going to be playing in the NHL full time a year faster then Boeser.  Also Boeser played a full year in the USHL before being drafted compared to Mitts 26 games.  Mitts frankly is a much more raw prospect yet still made the NHL a season faster.  I expect him to put up 40 pts next season in a support role, compared to Boeser’s 1st line assignment.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Sheary is younger than Kane

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Last I looked Sheary, 26, isn’t old.

Boy, I see you guys are taking over for shrader in the wet blanket department.

OK.  Remove old and so Kane is replaced by 'a guy'.  Not a JAG mind you.

On 7/17/2018 at 11:24 AM, Randall Flagg said:

Somebody elsewhere laid out the fact that of the recent cup winners (say, since 2009) only the Kings and the Caps really had two established bona-fide top 4 right handed defensemen. 

Niskanen+Carlson, and Doughty+Voynov. On the other teams you were seeing Rundblad, old Lovejoy, McQuaid, guys like that as the second best righty. 

I'd always be happy to add another righty to our group, but I don't think it's the most important thing in the world. Especially if you have a guy like Dahlin who enjoys the right side. 

What about the fact we have 2 RHD total....

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What about the fact we have 2 RHD total....

3 Nelson, Bogo and Risto. Redmond and Tennyson are also RHD’s.

However, I think the must have a balanced D pair thing is over emphasized.  

That said

Scandella Ristolainen

Dahlin Bogo

McCabe Nelson

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Sakman said:

Maybe Boeser has the upside of current Eichel, but Boeser's upside doesn't scratch the surface of Eichel's.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

3 Nelson, Bogo and Risto. Redmond and Tennyson are also RHD’s.

However, I think the must have a balanced D pair thing is over emphasized.  

So, 2 RHDs. 

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Edit: I don't think this is quite right. This will be casey's 19-20 year old season, whereas Boeser this past year was 20-21.

Yup. Boeser is entering into his 4th season post draft, Mittelstadt only his 2nd. 

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You realize that Boeser is almost 2 years older then Mittelstadt and was drafted 2 years before Mitts . Casey doesn’t turn 20 until late November.  While your comparison is interesting it’s a year off.  Boeser played two years in college before jumping to the NHL. Mitts is actually going to be playing in the NHL full time a year faster then Boeser.  Also Boeser played a full year in the USHL before being drafted compared to Mitts 26 games.  Mitts frankly is a much more raw prospect yet still made the NHL a season faster.  I expect him to put up 40 pts next season in a support role, compared to Boeser’s 1st line assignment.

I was looking at the birthdates too quickly...so if Casey is 1 year 9 months younger than Boeser if we compare Casey's 2018-2019 to Boeser's 2017-2018 we aren't exactly apples to apples, are we? Closer to a year (more or less) apart still.  Hmmm. 

Ok then I amend my original thought somewhat. But I still think Boeser is going to be a 40+ goal scorer at some point but he's a better 2-way player and passer than Vanek.  

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Maybe Boeser has the upside of current Eichel, but Boeser's upside doesn't scratch the surface of Eichel's.

I think they're upsides are in the same ballpark, albeit Jack's is higher for sure. I was just reacting to the idea that Boeser's wasn't even as high as Middlestadt's which I don't think is true. 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Just because a guy hasn’t played a complete season in 9 years is no reason to think he won’t this year.

To Randall's point, assuming Bogo is a nogo, the guy we have slated as our next up RHD would be Nelson, who doesn't match up to even the lower quality RHDs he mentioned in his post, for the teams without two bonafide top 4 RHDs. 

Botterill allowing the team to enter into camp with Bogosian penciled in as a top 4 Dman on the right (assuming no further moves) is to my mind his biggest mistake thus far. 

4 hours ago, Sakman said:

Incorrect.  Boeser was born Feb 1997.  He was 20.62 when the season started in October last year (2017).   Casey was born in November 1998.   He will be 19.8 years old in October 2018.   Difference of 3/4 of year.  He had two full years of college, not one and Casey will put up 55 pts. + in 2019-2020.   And as far as Boeser having upside on Eichel you might not have too many on this board (or anywhere) agree with you on that one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.