Will Butcher To Hit Free Agency

bob_sauve28

I count one good player and maybe 2 ok players on that list

Right. And how many have the Rangers signed in the past few years because everyone wants to come to New York?

Deharnais, Shattenkirk, Georgiev, Vesey, Chris Mueller, Matt Hunwick, ondrej Pavelc, Brandon Pirie, Jarret Stoll, Luke Adam?

You can go through the entire league. There are 31 teams and a handful of "good" free agents available every year. Objectively, the Sabres stack up OK compared to everyone else, but that doesn't fit the narrative. Who is coming to Ottawa? Florida? Toronto? Montreal? BOston?

because Buffalo. This self-hatred drives me crazy.

Edited by dudacek

Right. And how many have the Rangers signed in the past few years because everyone wants to come to New York?

Deharnais, Shattenkirk, Georgiev, Vesey, Chris Mueller, Matt Hunwick, ondrej Pavelc, Brandon Pirie, Jarret Stoll, Luke ###### Adam?

You can go through the entire league. There are 31 teams and a handful of "good" free agents available every year. Objectively, the Sabres stack up OK compared to everyone else, but that doesn't fit the narrative. Who is coming to Ottawa? Florida? Toronto? Montreal? BOston?

###### because Buffalo. This self-hatred drives me crazy.

Amen.

Deharnais, Shattenkirk, Georgiev, Vesey, Chris Mueller, Matt Hunwick, ondrej Pavelc, Brandon Pirie, Jarret Stoll, Luke ###### Adam?

Exactly. It's like not winning the 50/50 and calling yourself unlucky.

No, with 31 teams, the odds are always unlikely you'll land a specific FA. It's just odds.

This is Stafford's fault

Is he still available?

Can he play D?

Until the Sabres or Bills win a championship, because Buffalo will be a thing.  After the championships, it will still be around and it will be a good thing.

I have no idea if Butcher signs here. I think it's about 20% considering Guhle, Antipin and the 5 guys under contract for some length. I l also don't know if he is good enough to make this team this season.

I want him because he is a winner and we need more players who know how to win in this organization. As Capt of U of D he won the Hobey Baker and lead his team to the NCAA Championship. Not even something Jack could do.

I could be wrong, but do we have anyone on the roster who has won a Stanely, Calder or Memorial Cup? Anyone else with an NCAA Championship (Florentino ok). Certainly gus like Risto and Reinhart have won World Jr titles, but that isn't the same for me as leading a team to a full season league or NCAA championship.

Edit: Beaulieu won a Memorial Cup in 2011. I did a quick look and Gorges and Kane won Memorial Cups.

Edited by GASabresFan

The Calder I could care less about. Eichel came close to winning the ncaa championship.

I have no idea if Butcher signs here. I think it's about 20% considering Guhle, Antipin and the 5 guys under contract for some length. I l also don't know if he is good enough to make this team this season.

I want him because he is a winner and we need more players who know how to win in this organization. As Capt of U of D he won the Hobey Baker and lead his team to the NCAA Championship. Not even something Jack could do.

I could be wrong, but do we have anyone on the roster who has won a Stanely, Calder or Memorial Cup? Anyone else with an NCAA Championship (Florentino ok). Certainly gus like Risto and Reinhart have won World Jr titles, but that isn't the same for me as leading a team to a full season league or NCAA championship.

Edit: Beaulieu won a Memorial Cup in 2011.

Also not even something Jack could do is laughable. Jack was 17/18 his freshman year, not 21/22 like Butcher. Eichel is still younger than will and if you put him back in college he'd easily win the Baker. If i remember right he came in 2nd in voting in his only ncaa season.

As for winning the championship, that's a team effort.

You know I harp on this a lot, age matters. A 18 year old kid isn't the same as a 22 year old young adult. Butcher is a decent college prospect with potential. That's IT.

Edited by LGR4GM

Jack won the Hobey Baker, but his team lost in the finals to Providence.

The Sabres need a Chris Drury type presence on this team. We don't have it. Someone like Butcher could be that guy.

You think a college FA is going to have that presence 

You think a college FA is going to have that presence

Maybe. Drury made a significant impact his first year after winning the Hobey Baker and the NCAA during 4 years at BU. He was the ROY in the NHL and a key figure in the Avs Cup team a few years later.

Butcher is more then some marginal prospect. I think he is a superior player to Brian Dumoulin and might make the Ssbres this season if he signs.

Maybe. Drury made a significant impact his first year after winning the Hobey Baker and the NCAA during 4 years at BU. He was the ROY in the NHL and a key figure in the Avs Cup team a few years later.

Butcher is more then some marginal prospect. I think he is a superior player to Brian Dumoulin and might make the Ssbres this season if he signs.

Dude. Brian Dumoulin is a no-BS top 4 defenseman on a cup winning team. He faced the hardest competition of any defenseman that played the whole season for them (only Hainsey faced harder competition overall) and did well. Will Butcher will not make any non-Vegas/NJ NHL roster this year, and is a small defenseman prospect with skating issues. 

There are loads of players that win tournaments and will never touch NHL ice, and that's because they aren't good enough hockey players. Will Butcher has a much greater chance of this happening to him than he does of becoming what Brian Dumoulin is. 

And if he's superior to Dumoulin already, he would be the Sabres' second or third best defenseman. 

The Avs forum on hfboards did an annual prospect ranking of their own team last season like all of the others usually do. This was before Butcher left and gave them any hard feelings. They ranked him 17th out of their prospect pool. 

His failure to improve his skating at this point will make him a solid AHL player at best. 

Butcher is the very definition of a marginal prospect. No size, average at best skating and generally a one trick pony on the pp, which he will not see much of in the AHL much less the NHL. Thinking he has some aura that will lift this team is delusional. Hi a prospect with 5/6 NHL potential.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.