Will Butcher To Hit Free Agency

bob_sauve28

Butcher's agent makes it sound like he was essentially ignored by Colorado during his second and third years and made to feel he was not going to be offered a contract before they got interested again when he started lighting it up this year.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/02/despite-being-shunned-by-avalanche-will-butcher-hopes-to-attend-the-teams-prospects-camp/

According to Chambers Butcher was actually told prior to last season he wasn't getting a contract from the Avs. Not real surprising he told Sakic to take a hike when he changed his mind.

It's not Buffalo

Insider on another site, who's been right a lot, thinks it is buffalo. Housley and jbots expect him to sign with BUF.

Now...It is easy to say it's not Buffalo when there are 31 teams in the NHL and only one team will sign him. Odds are pretty stacked that you'll be right.......

I'm not hugely invested in Butcher - he's going to land somewhere between Casey Nelson and Jason Woolley - but landing him is good for the organization. I look at him like Borgen and Stephens and Fitzgerald - longshots, but not no-shots. You buy enough of those guys and you will hit on a few and we needed more in the system.

Adding him, Antipin and Beaulieu in a few months would really plug the most obvious hole in the depth chart. Remember, we already have McCabe and Risto in that 20-25 age group on the blueline.

Edited by dudacek

Remember, we already have McCabe and Risto in that 20-25 age group on the blueline.

Butcher is only two months younger than Risto. I hadn't realized that until your comment nudged me to google their ages. Helps put Risto in perspective a bit- we're lucky to have a guy so established at such a young age.

Just from my perspective as a fan that gets his hopes up and invests far to much energy into the possibility that it'll be us then gets let down. Soooo, not getting my hopes up.

If you look at this thread I think most of the fan base feels exactly like you do. A lot of minimizing both Butcher's potential and our ability to get him going on here. Very little hype or excitement.

If you look at this thread I think most of the fan base feels exactly like you do. A lot of minimizing both Butcher's potential and our ability to get him going on here. Very little hype or excitement.

Yes that's my take on it also, it would be nice if we can sign him up and add to the talent mix whether it's top rung or middle rung or bottom rung, we'd like to just rung him up

Just from my perspective as a fan that gets his hopes up and invests far to much energy into the possibility that it'll be us then gets let down. Soooo, not getting my hopes up.

I think that's the fan base's biggest problem. Getting their hopes up. I have no hope so no issues here. :lol:

Who is Slava Malamud ? He just tweeted that his sources say that the Sabres have no intention of signing Butcher and the Sabres are out. I don't do this twitter thing so not sure how that shite works. I'm sure one of you twits can sort it out. I'm off to work.

"He wants to play for team that really understands and believes in him as a player and what he can bring to an organization, so it's weeding out the ones who just kind of want good players since every team needs good players," Bartlett said. "The second part is which team has the opportunity and resources to give him the best chance to be a longtime professional player. We haven't been demanding he make the team right out of [training] camp or have a roster spot. It's about the process over the next couple of years."

Butcher had 37 points (seven goals, 30 assists) in 43 games last season, his fourth at Denver. He was the Pioneers captain and helped them win the NCAA championship. He is the first defenseman to win the Hobey Baker Award since Matt Gilroy of Boston University in 2009, and the second player from Denver (Matt Carle, 2006).

https://www.nhl.com/news/hobey-baker-winner-will-butcher-to-pick-nhl-team-sunday/c-290755970?tid=281072352

Who is Slava Malamud ? He just tweeted that his sources say that the Sabres have no intention of signing Butcher and the Sabres are out. I don't do this twitter thing so not sure how that shite works. I'm sure one of you twits can sort it out. I'm off to work.

I mean he has 16.5k followers so he seems reputable

Take him with a grain of salt. A lot of his timeline is bashing Buffalo Sports Teams in general. He did grow up a Sabres Fan in Russia though

With the Panthers?

Looks that way

idk, never heard of him. 

The thing is with so many media guys around if someone had actually leaked that info then they leaked it to multiple places, OR people with other sources would have been contacted to confirm such as the national guys.  My guess is the guy is playing the odds that Buffalo doesn't sign him and then plans to look smart afterwards if he is correct. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Butcher's agent makes it sound like he was essentially ignored by Colorado during his second and third years and made to feel he was not going to be offered a contract before they got interested again when he started lighting it up this year.

That was all on Roy. Both cases, it is partially his fault that team is in shambles.

obviously :)

Vesey and his camp flat out lied about Poile and the Preds.  

I've not yet heard of any shenanigans between Sakic and Butcher other than the fact Butcher informed them he wasn't going to sign... unlike Vesey who dragged them along and then got into a "he said, she said" ordeal like a 9 year old.

Colorado didn't offer him a contract while Roy was there. Said he was too small. Then they tried to revers course after Roy left, and the damage was done.

Malamud has some good KHL Contacts, but I wouldn't trust anything else

Not criticizing you but him here.  A guy with good KHL contacts suddenly has inside scope about a team with 1 russian player about an American born college player with a none Russian agent. Seems unlikely. 

I am fine either way. I think our D has improved significantly over last season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.