Mittelstadt - Hobey Baker?

WildCard

If Tankathons odds are right, the Sabres stand with a chance to draft anywhere from 1st to 5th with a nearly 50% chance of drafting 5th.  I think this puts Tkachuk right in our cross hairs.  It looks to me like Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina are the top 3, then either Tkachuk or Boqvist.  We could use either.

Woah, i.'ll guess you haven't seen Dahlin play to this point?

If you want to start talking about Tkachuk at #2, I'll listen but I don't care how Guhle looks to be, there is no way you pass up Dahlin at #1. He is the McDavid of defensemen.

If you want to start talking about Tkachuk at #2, I'll listen but I don't care how Guhle looks to be, there is no way you pass up Dahlin at #1. He is the McDavid of defensemen.

Not even at #2

If we are talking about forwards at #2 overall, imagine Mittelstadt with Svechnikov on his wing... 

That is the one quality Jack is missing.  If he had that dogged pursuit of the puck, he'd be better than McDavid.

I hope this kid reaches his ceiling.  We really need that one two center punch.

If there are two better centers than him on the roster, it makes sense.  He has had success on the wing.

It took several years for Lemieux to gain that fire to really NEED to win. Had he had it at an earlier age, Gretzky wouldn't be the only player to ever hit/ break 200. Eichel's shown flashes of wanting to be that full on compete player. I'm still expecting him to continue improving.

Middlestadt does not have the speed or the shot that Eichel has.  They both have incredible hands and can put the puck on a teammates tape from seemingly anywhere be it forehand or backhand.

Middlestadt does better along the boards where as Eichel uses his reach to create open ice space.

Right now Team USA runs its power play through Middlestadt the same as the Sabres running it through Eichel.

They are both players who drive puck possession and they do it in different ways which is what makes me very excited.  It's quite possible those two will never see a line together as they can both make every one of their linemates better.

Yep. Really see them both having their own lines except when the Sabres REEEAALLY need to make something happen, much the way the Pens use Crosby & Malkin.

Really looking forward to seeing him in B&G. My guess is he plays at Minnesota again next season & then joins the Sabres after Minny's NCAA run is done. Will be interesting to see what he/the Sabres decide to do if they have a very good run this year. They started excellent & then slumped some. Expect having Mittelstadt back in 2 weeks should be a boost.

To the learned .... I am as excited about Mittelstadt today as I was about Eichel when Jack was drafted. Am I nuts?

You might be. But, not about this. :p

Perhaps. He's billed that way. Reminds me a lot of Lidstrom. Extremely smooth.

• 4 weeks later...

Did he take that puck out of the air at full speed?

It was hard to tell if it came down to the ice before he hit it.  Doesn't matter, it's a good goal.

Just as important was Mittelstadt escaping a defender at center ice and carrying the puck in to start the play.

I was watching the game and I believe that was Mittelstadt's first shift in the OT period.  I was getting frustrated because I wanted to see him out there.  They put him out... BOOM.  Game over.

It was hard to tell if it came down to the ice before he hit it. Doesn't matter, it's a good goal.

Just as important was Mittelstadt escaping a defender at center ice and carrying the puck in to start the play.

I was watching the game and I believe that was Mittelstadt's first shift in the OT period. I was getting frustrated because I wanted to see him out there. They put him out... BOOM. Game over.

That's a good point. When I started watching the highlight I didn't know which guy was mittlestadt until he made that sweet move at centre ice and just knew that had to be him.

Casey had a bruuuuuuutal turnover to lead to the game-clinching 3rd goal for ND last night. He's getting closer and closer to being ready for the Sabres. Maybe he can take Beaulieu's spot on the power play.

He had 2 assists in the 4-1 loss. That's not exactly easy to pull off. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Mittelstadt with the only goal as The Gophers trail Penn State 2-1 through two periods.

The Sabres should have some great inside intelligence on Casey, Scott Bell who is the Assistant Coach for Minnesota was a scout for Pittsburgh until this past June and he reported directly to Randy Sexton.

This maybe common knowledge, but I found it interesting.

how important is Casey Mittelstadt joining the Sabres next season for you from an interest standpoint?

for STH does it weigh at all on your decision to renew?

Will it change your expecations for the Sabres next season?

For me it weigh's fairly heavily on my expectations and the amount of emotion that I am going to invest in this team. I'll start the season hoping for an Avalanche / Devils turnaround and will be emotionally invested in them once again. If he goes back its  "hello darkness, my old friend"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.