Mittelstadt - Hobey Baker?

WildCard

Botterill was on GR this AM was asked about Mittelstadt and his future. He mentioned he was very happy with his WJC Performance and the fact that came in big in critical situations and he excelled especially when the tournament was in Buffalo.

He mentioned they will have the conversation with him after his season on what to do and it’s important that both the Sabres and Mittelstadt agree on his path forward. He mentioned that if the Sabres want him to stay in school and he doesn’t there will be a problem and vice versa.

My expectation is that he'll look an awful lot like Reinhart did the 1st 40 games of this season. (It won't be that bad, but it won't look particularly good.)

At times he dominated in the WJC. He hasn't dominated in the NCAA though he's had some highlight reel plays. Let him dominate at the NCAA level next year & then come up at the end of the season. (Yes, that burns a year of his entry level deal, but it still keeps him on an ELC through age 22.)

If he's up early next year, they'll either force him into the top 6 before he's ready or waste him on the 4th line. Really not interested in either scenario.

Would he be better than the plugs the Sabres have in the bottom 6? Offensively, yes, but not by the margin the Legend of Casey implies. In his own end, not likely. Would really rather see him developed properly. And, I'd expect he'd be happier as a BMOC rather than an Amerks' rook hearing stories about how lucky his is Cal O'Reilly is no longer associated w/ that team.

I'm on the same page, although I suspect he'd look worse than Sam for much of the time early.  He needs to be more dominant against NCAA players before he comes up here.

I'm on the same page, although I suspect he'd look worse than Sam for much of the time early.  He needs to be more dominant against NCAA players before he comes up here.

I think he is a pretty dominate player already in the NCAA, just has zero support from his team mates. Though I would admit there is a possibility that I've been watching through Rose Colored Glasses. I wonder if the quality of the team will significantly weigh in his decision to stay or not? 

He also dominated against the top juniors in the World this past Christmas.  

Not sure why the BIG 10 scheduled its Hockey Championships the same weekend as the Basketball Championships cause it looks like none of the hockey will be televised. 

I will say, if Casey winds up in the Blue and Gold by next weekend, i will be pretty excited about it.  

Are you guys confusing Sam’s first post-draft season with his second?

Next season for Casey compares to the year when Sam scored 23, not his tentative nine game post draft audition

Casey’s as big and as strong as Sam was. He seems faster and more engaged.

Casey as our saviour is just a fun Sabrespace meme, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he could play for us next year.

Edited by dudacek

Next season for Casey compares to the year when Sam scored 23, not his tentative nine game post draft audition

Casey as our saviour is just a fun Sabrespace meme, but I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he could play for us next year.

Hear, hear! I suppose if I were a committal Ebriate I’d say it would be better for Casey to play another year at Minnesota. But it’ll be better for the Sabres for him to be with the big or in Rochester next season. That 9-game of Sam isn’t a true comparison. [sam] knew what to do. I saw him perfectly place himself a few times against SJ that season only to be rumbled by the bigger older stronger Shark player. This is that season for Casey. He’s sturdy and can be in the NHL next season. Probably in a lighter role, but this season for him is that nine-game tryout for Sam in terms of learning how much stronger 22 year-olds are than 18s. It’ll be another upgrade to NHL strength, but he’s learning it now. Edited by DarthBerusad

I trust Kris Baker's opinion.  He feels that, while Casey demonstrates that he's a top prospect when he plays against his age group, he's not showing enough of that dominance against college age competition to assume that he is ready for the NHL now.

I trust Kris Baker's opinion.  He feels that, while Casey demonstrates that he's a top prospect when he plays against his age group, he's not showing enough of that dominance against college age competition to assume that he is ready for the NHL now.

Baker is normally on target in his assessments.

My belief is based on watching all the US WJC games and about 8-10 Gopher games. (They've been on Big 10 Network a lot and even more games have been on the Big 10 app.) He's looked good but hasn't stood out (except in brief stretches & not always in a good way). But, man, in those occassions he has stood out, he's fun to watch. He'll be a good one, but will be surprised if he's NHL-ready in October.

Will he be ready to play 8 minutes/night in a 4th line role? Almost definitely. But if he's in Minny, he'll be the #1 center (not just the focus of the PP). He'd also be 1st or 2nd C in Ra-cha-cha if he were to sign (which would be surprising IMHO).

Interesting. Baker said on GR Monday that whether he comes out this year or next, he will be in the NHL.

Interesting. Baker said on GR Monday that whether he comes out this year or next, he will be in the NHL.

Absolutely on the bolded. If he comes out this year, he'll likely be there still but on a 4th line playing PP & 4 other minutes a game. Better to be where he'll get real playing time.

I wonder if the context wasn't, he's only coming out if he's in the NHL.

I’d have to relisten, but I took the whole exchange as He may or may not be ready, but if both sides decide he’s coming out, he will not be in Rochester. The quote was something like “sure he’s skilled, but the reason he will be in Buffalo is because of his competitiveness.

Personally, I’d like to see him signed now, play in Buffalo down the stretch and join the Amerks for the playoffs, if that is legal.

Even if he’s not ready, I think he’s better off in Rochester than in Minnesota. I have a lot of faith in Sexton and Taylor.

After listening to Botterill, I think he’s already made up his mind where he wants Casey next year, but I got no sense of which way he’s leaning.

Edited by dudacek

Right. It’s common for high picks to play in the NHL in their second post draft season. I think there’s some slight bubble-wrap thinking going on where Casey is concerned due to past mishandling of prospects.

Reinhart is a good example. Reinhart had a very good rookie season. No reason Casey can’t do the same, at the same age.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.