Sabres Development Camp July 8-11

Brawndo

It's gotten to the point where I don't understand what Liger is trying to convey with his videos anymore.

Pi made an outrageous claim/accusation whatever. I am expressing my shock and annoyance with the statement "Kind of like WPG forcing GMTM to take Bogo with Kane." Which is . I know it and he knows it. 

To explain more, sometimes when people post things that are just eyerollingly wrong, I choose not to post a long winded response but instead of gif of confusion or in the case of Paul Rudd, a "what?" gif. 

He looked so much better than Nylander.

It's interesting that during the skills portion of the camp people were talking about Middelstadt fumbling and bumbling and Nylander having feet and hands miles above everyone else. Game time comes and Casey makes plays while Alex looks passive.

Some players force their will on the game, others let the game come to them.

Both games can work, but Jack and Casey are always going to have wider appeal than Sam and Alex.

So far as a pro, Alex is a much better practice player than a game player.

When I've seen him, his skill is obvious, but he hasn't seemed to see the same game his linemates do.

I wonder if that will change when he is paired with better players.

Edited by dudacek

Pi made an outrageous claim/accusation whatever. I am expressing my shock and annoyance with the statement "Kind of like WPG forcing GMTM to take Bogo with Kane." Which is ######. I know it and he knows it. 

To explain more, sometimes when people post things that are just eyerollingly wrong, I choose not to post a long winded response but instead of gif of confusion or in the case of Paul Rudd, a "what?" gif. 

Seriously?   How is that "eyerolling" wrong?   WPG wanted Bogo and his outrageous contract gone.   GMTM wanted Kane, so part of the deal was taking on Bogo's contract.    At that time he was an upgrade to tank squad, but he wasn't Murray's target, never was.     

Getting back to my original point.... if some team wants Nylander, you can bet your ass they'll have to take a toxic contract off our hands along with an appropriate return.

Edited by pi2000

Pomminstein and Moulson are gone in two years, Gorges after this year, and Bogo in 3

Winnipeg did not force Bogo, Murray liked him as well 

I see Pominville and Moulson being bought out next year.  Not just for the cap savings (dead money is very reasonable) but they have to make room for the youngsters. And the youngsters need to step up.

Seriously?   How is that "eyerolling" wrong?   WPG wanted Bogo and his outrageous contract gone.   GMTM wanted Kane, so part of the deal was taking on Bogo's contract.    At that time he was an upgrade to tank squad, but he wasn't Murray's target, never was.     

Getting back to my original point.... if some team wants Nylander, you can bet your ass they'll have to take a toxic contract off our hands along with an appropriate return.

This post ignores the fact that WPG swapped Bogo for an equally outrageous Tyler Myers contract. Nobody won on the defensive aspect of that trade.

So you're saying we actually ended up with McEichel?

but more American like Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Cheesburgers. 

If a team wants Nylander you could probably ditch a bad contract in the deal depending on the team. That said I wouldn't shop Nylander in order to dump a bad contract. 

but more American like Bacon Wrapped Cheese Stuffed Cheesburgers. 

If a team wants Nylander you could probably ditch a bad contract in the deal depending on the team. That said I wouldn't shop Nylander in order to dump a bad contract. 

What if trading Nylander allowed you to dump all 3 though? If we could dump all 3 of Moulson, Gorges, and Bogosian in exchange for Nylander that certainly tips the scales for me to where I'd seriously consider it.

Your post is implying Bogosian, at the time, was a completely useless and old player with a bad contract. He was a #3 overall pick, still young, and just had some injury issues. His style of play also fit exactly what Murray wanted. Was he the primary target of that trade? No. But definitely wasn't just forced on Murray

It's interesting that during the skills portion of the camp people were talking about Middelstadt fumbling and bumbling and Nylander having feet and hands miles above everyone else. Game time comes and Casey makes plays while Alex looks passive.

Some players force their will on the game, others let the game come to them.

Both games can work, but Jack and Casey are always going to have wider appeal than Sam and Alex.

So far as a pro, Alex is a much better practice player than a game player.

When I've seen him, his skill is obvious, but he hasn't seemed to see the same game his linemates do.

I wonder if that will change when he is paired with better players.

Sam is a little-flash, no-nonsense player though, whereas Nylander IS generally a player that moreso incorporates excitement and flash into his game. In game competition, Sam has translated his skills, whereas Nylander has generally not, at the pro level, yet.

However, Nylander's first pro season was at a year younger than Sam's was, I think we'll see a nice jump from Alex this season.

Your post is implying Bogosian, at the time, was a completely useless and old player with a bad contract. He was a #3 overall pick, still young, and just had some injury issues. His style of play also fit exactly what Murray wanted. Was he the primary target of that trade? No. But definitely wasn't just forced on Murray

How do you know that?   Bogo was languishing in WPG, he was bottom of their depth chart with a huge cap number and years left on his term.   You honestly think GMTM asked for him in the deal?   If anything, WPG wouldn't have made that deal unless they could wash their hands of Bogo.     GMTM probably went along with it because he really wanted Kane, and at the time Bogo was an upgrade for the tank D corps(es).      I believe Murray would pulled the trigger without Bogo included in the deal.   It was WPG who insisted he be included.

How do you know that?   Bogo was languishing in WPG, he was bottom of their depth chart with a huge cap number and years left on his term.   You honestly think GMTM asked for him in the deal?   If anything, WPG wouldn't have made that deal unless they could wash their hands of Bogo.     GMTM probably went along with it because he really wanted Kane, and at the time Bogo was an upgrade for the tank D corps(es).      I believe Murray would pulled the trigger without Bogo included in the deal.   It was WPG who insisted he be included.

No, he wasn't. He was their 2nd pairing defenseman. Look at his TOI

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/WPG/2015.html

I'm not saying he wouldn't have pulled the trigger, what I'm saying is he wasn't forced on him Datsyuck style. If he was, it was probably his shtty attitude, not his cap. 

Edited by WildCard

All in all, a decent camp. IMHO it stood out as having the most skilled players as I've seen in camp in years. In years past you could tell some of the guys had no skill whatsoever and were very "confused" at times. This year felt different to me.

All in all, a decent camp. IMHO it stood out as having the most skilled players as I've seen in camp in years. In years past you could tell some of the guys had no skill whatsoever and were very "confused" at times. This year felt different to me.

The Bottsley effect.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.