Chad Johnson Signs 1 Year 2.5M Deal with Sabres

Brawndo

That is an odd one.

Not that Chad isn't a good backup, or that Lehner/Johnson/Ullmark/Johansen/Kasdorf/Ukko isn't solid enough organizationally.

It's just I was convinced by the contract that Linus was in Buffalo.

Also thinking Chad is a little pricier than, say, Nilsson.

Wonder if this is insurance in case/because the Lehner talks aren't where JBot wants them.

That is an odd one.

Not that Chad isn't a good backup, or that Lehner/Johnson/Ullmark/Johansen/Kasdorf/Ukko isn't solid enough organizationally.

It's just I was convinced by the contract that Linus was in Buffalo.

Also thinking Chad is a little pricier than, say, Nilsson.

Wonder if this is insurance in case/because the Lehner talks aren't where JBot wants them.

Interesting. Wonder if there was something to those trader murmurs--Johnson and Ullmark combined probably get what, little more than half of what Lehner may? But what team even needs a starting goalie right now?

Interesting. Wonder if there was something to those trader murmurs--Johnson and Ullmark combined probably get what, little more than half of what Lehner may? But what team even needs a starting goalie right now?

I think it may be less about need and more about Botterill not wanting Lehner at all. 

I think it may be less about need and more about Botterill not wanting Lehner at all. 

Where do you get that from?

So if we get the Big Johnson, are we going to *start* Ullmark, back him up with Chad, and deal/release Lehner?

Edited by Doohickie

Where do you get that from?

So if we get the Big Johnson, are we going to *start* Ullmark, back him up with Chad, and deal/release Lehner?

Nah. Chad and Ullmark platoon. Chad is a vet and can help guide Ullmark until he's ready to take over starting duties full time. 

Lehner gets traded before he gets exposed as actually terrible under Housley's new system. 

I think he was signed to back up Lehner.

Johansson is unproven and would benefit from backing up Ullmark for the year.

Ullmark can get more games in Housley's System to learn while in Rochester.

Doesn't he have to pass through waivers?  :unsure:

Edited by LGR4GM

Doesn't he have to pass through waivers?  :unsure:

No. He's in a small category of players who was expansion eligible but waiver ineligible.

Something to do with being a goalie and being under contract to us while playing in Europe.

My first reaction was really, but after a little thought it makes some sense.

Ullmark did ok in the AHL last year, but (granted terrible D) he didn't exactly dominate.  He can also still be sent down without having to do through waivers.

So Jbot signs Lehner and Johnson, send Ullmark back to the AHL to backstop hopefully an improved Amerks team. Johannson gets to backup his countryman and learn the NA game.  Kasdorf is sent to the ECHL.  

This works.

Edited by GASabresFan

Saw this coming.

Checked out FA Goalies on spotrac when Bots mentioned a veteran to come in and start in Rochester he was one of the guys I thought of.

Funny thing is he only had one bad year in 14-15 with the Isles. Otherwise he's been starter quality.  Even in Buffalo he had a better GA and same Save %  in 15-16 than Lehner had last year.

For his price tag not sure why a team struggling for a solid starter doesn't sign this guy.  But i'll be happy to take him.  Won't be surprised if he backs up Lehner and they send Ullmark down.

Edited by dejeanerret

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.