Eleven

Dave Andreychuk

Danielle Goyette

Paul Kariya

Mark Recchi

Teemu Selanne

Clare Drake

Jeremy Jacobs

Committee should've waited until the CBA expires so we could have a lockout in his honor.

Terrible class.

Selanne the only deserving nominee.

(I just turned 50, there's a lot of more fist-shaking to come.)

Once the arthritis kicks in you probably won't be able to so it as much as you'd like.

Good.

Who?

Good.

Good (as a Penguin).

Good.

Who?

I hate the Bruins.

Two olympic gold medals and a silver medal, 8 IIHF WC gold medals and a silver medal, one CWHL National Championship; Canada's all time leading scorer in the IIHF WC tournaments; IIHF Hall of Fame.

If one measures HOF worthiness by championships, she's probably one of the most decorated hockey players of all time.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Clare Drake.  The Coaches' Coach.  697-296-37 over 28 years at University of Alberta, 6 CIAU national titles.

The testimonals for this guy are off the charts.  Here's a few:

“The game we see on TV most nights is Coach Drake’s game. His strategies are now referred to as systems!”

– Dave Adolph, Coach, University of Saskatchewan Huskies
“I’m a head coach today because of Clare Drake. … His inventiveness and analytical mind have contributed so much to to growth in the tactics and strategies of Canadian hockey, through the National Coaching Certification Program and his various international coaching responsibilities. But his personal integrity, wisdom and humility are what really made him so influential. I was fortunate enough to meet John Wooden when I coached in Anaheim, and I’ve had the great privilege to work with and learn from Scotty Bowman since I joined the Red Wings. Clare Drake is a leader and builder of the same stature as those two men, but because he worked outside the public eye for so much of his career, he never got the recognition they’ve enjoyed. It’s time to change that. Clare is 82 years old now, with a distinguished body of work that spans 60 years in the game. I urge you to elect him to the Hall and give him the acclaim he’s never sought, but so richly deserves.”
– Mike Babcock, Stanley Cup and Olympic Games champion coach

“When people ask me who is Clare Drake, I quickly reply, ‘He is to hockey what the Pope is to Catholicism.’ ”

– Bill Liskowich, Coach, Notre Dame Hounds

“When Clare retired from the University of Alberta as the winningest college hockey coach ever, his picture should have been on the cover of Time magazine. Had this been done in the United States, it would have been.”

– Tom Watt, co-coach (with Drake), 1980 Canadian Olympic team 

“Clare Drake changed and grew coaching. He altered North American thinking about the methods we were using. He impacted players and coaches, and many of the coaches he impacted went on to coach National Hockey League championships teams and in addition contributed to Canadian Olympic Gold Medal achievements on more than one occasion.”

– Kevin Lowe, President Hockey Operations, Edmonton Oilers
Edited by IKnowPhysics

Twenty four or so years ago, Dave Andreychuk was traded by the Sabres to the Maple Leafs. It was big news. I learned when the morning paper arrived. News was on television at certain hours, on certain channels, and not omnipresent. There was no internet. I could learn something and think quietly before having to react, before being confronted with the very next fact, view, opinion, or development. Big news was big news. There was no need to contort the small, making it appear big in an attempt to satisfy multi-channel 24/7/365 appetites.

At work later that day, I talked to a friend and colleague. Bob was a Sabre die hard. If I'd met him on SabreSpace, I'd refer to him as among the learned. Bob, like many, loved the trade. Andreychuk always disappointed Bob because of what Andreychuk wasn't. "Hit him with your purse, Dave," and all that.

I offered a wager that very day. "Dinner, any where in the world, when Andreychuk is voted into the Hall of Fame!" I believed Big Dave was going to get there.

Bob laughed at me and took the bet. A few years later I moved to Tampa. I've not seen Bob in twenty years. It's time to find him. He owes me a dinner. Perhaps I'll use the web to search.

Congratulations, Mr. Andreychuk!

Edited by Neo

Twenty four or so years ago, Dave Andreychuk was traded by the Sabres to the Maple Leafs. It was big news. I learned when the morning paper arrived. News was on television at certain hours, on certain channels, and not omnipresent. There was no internet. I could learn something and think quietly before having to react, before being confronted with the very next fact, view, opinion, or development. Big news was big news. There was no need to contort the small, making it appear big in an attempt to satisfy multi-channel 24/7/365 appetites.

At work later that day, I talked to a friend and colleague. Bob was a Sabre die hard. If I'd met him on SabreSpace, I'd refer to him as among the learned. Bob, like many, loved the trade. Andreychuk always disappointed Bob because of what Andreychuk wasn't. "Hit him with your purse, Dave," and all that.

I offered a wager that very day. "Dinner, any where in the world, when Andreychuk is voted into the Hall of Fame!" I believed Big Dave was going to get there.

Bob laughed at me and took the bet. A few years later I moved to Tampa. I've not seen Bob in twenty years. It's time to find him. He owes me a dinner. Perhaps I'll use the web to search.

:lol: 

Go get that dinner. 

Kariya had a really good NHL career, but I think his time at UMaine is really what puts him over the top for the Hall of Fame. He is arguably the best American college hockey player ever, despite the short career. 

Based on NHL careers alone, I think Mogilny could be considered a stronger candidate than Kariya. 

Terrible class.

Selanne the only deserving nominee.

(I just turned 50, there's a lot of more fist-shaking to come.)

Pretty much agree w/ that on the NHL skaters.

Expected Andreychuk to get in though still don't believe he belongs there. He was a good player for a very long time but was never IMHO exceptional. Pretty sure he's still the only guy in league history to get traded in-season & end up w/ 50 goals on the year. Had he not been captain of the SC winning Bolts he could still be waiting to get in.

Good for him, but the standard should be higher.

He captained them to their only cup. So, what's the problem?

And the way he was run out of town here! If you called GR in 1993 and said Andreychuk would make the hall of fame people would have laughed at you. This city was ready to lynch him for his lack of playoff success

Ha ha!! Enjoy that dinner!! :)

Expected Andreychuk to get in though still don't believe he belongs there. He was a good player for a very long time but was never IMHO exceptional. Pretty sure he's still the only guy in league history to get traded in-season & end up w/ 50 goals on the year. Had he not been captain of the SC winning Bolts he could still be waiting to get in.

Pretty much this. Had Andy's mother not given birth to him slightly outside the goal crease I doubt he'd ever have been able to have made it there. He made a great career out of a limited talent. Good for him. Still, many more worthy candidates.

We're on the same page re: the standard should be higher. Good to very hood for a very long time should not be enough. But it is, which makes him deserving.

And the way he was run out of town here! If you called GR in 1993 and said Andreychuk would make the hall of fame people would have laughed at you. This city was ready to lynch him for his lack of playoff success

Ha ha!! Enjoy that dinner!! :)

I think everyone was ready to run the entire roster out of town for their failings. Not unlike the reactions to the post Briere/Drury Sabres rosters.

No Internet you say?

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/alt.sports.hockey.nhl.buffalo-sabres/n43pwL3rWZE/discussion

Looks like the archive doesn't go back far enough, sadly, but I bet there was much discussion at the time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.