2017 NHL Draft -- Sabres Thread

Thorny

vegas would be dumb to do it. but no the talent difference does not seem enough to say no to that

Looking at what I think, there really isn't a huge drop until in that 13-15 range. Necas, Petersson, Tippett, Suzuki could all come in that 6-12 area.

There is little sense for Vegas to do anything that reduces the number of assets they have. Move a 4th and a 6th for a 3rd round, ok. But moving higher value pieces like first rounders doesn't make much sense. They have to build out an entire organization from scratch. That takes a lot of pieces.

There is little sense for Vegas to do anything that reduces the number of assets they have. Move a 4th and a 6th for a 3rd round, ok. But moving higher value pieces like first rounders doesn't make much sense. They have to build out an entire organization from scratch. That takes a lot of pieces.

agreed. If they could walk away with Glass, Valimaki and Suzuki

I am bracing for Tippett.

The way the draft falls and with a BPA philosophy it just seems likely.

It would be my least favourite pick since Zagrapan.

I do think Botterill will be trying to lever a trade down or up.

Dropping two spots in the lottery moved the Sabres out of the top defenceman range.

More importantly, the guy is an asset manager, and with an early second tier pick and an extra second rounder in a flat draft, he's in a good spot to make a move.

Edited by dudacek

That's it, the Owen Tippett hate has gone too far! He's not my pick (that'd be Liljegren, or Mittelstadt if he's unexpectedly there), but in a draft without a slam dunk at all, let alone at #8, there's value in taking a great skater with the best shot. I know he doesn't play the style that many around here gravitate towards, but it'd be far from a bad pick.

That's it, the Owen Tippett hate has gone too far! He's not my pick (that'd be Liljegren, or Mittelstadt if he's unexpectedly there), but in a draft without a slam dunk at all, let alone at #8, there's value in taking a great skater with the best shot. I know he doesn't play the style that many around here gravitate towards, but it'd be far from a bad pick.

Offense only, skate fast, shoot fast, sniper. Oh, you can sign me right up. That's my favorite style of hockey. Defense be damned.

it would not be a bad pick because of the reasons you state. That's why I think there is a good chance we pick him.

I'm just not a fan of selfish players.

I think Tippett is going to be our pick, for whatever reason. Just a guess from what I've read. I've advocated for not drafting him, so I'll have to come around on him, I suppose.

There's no better goalscorer in the draft than Tippett. The rest of his game sucks RIGHT NOW but he's 18 and that can change. He would be gold with eichel. Imagine eichel nylander Tippett in two years? In saying that, if Makar somehow makes it to 8 he's the pick and Ljengrin (spelling) is a strong possibility. He was a top 3 player heading​ into the year before Mono got him

If Glass, Middlestadt, Liljegren, Vilardi, Heiskanen, Hischier, Makar, Patrick are on the board, and we take Tippett, I will go bat crazy.  Tippett has no defense in his game and has boom or bust all over him.  He reminds me of Kassian coming into his draft year, the premier "power forward".  I don't buy it.  I will take Glass, Liljegren, Valimaki, over this kid.  Pass!

To me I'm all for taking Tippet or Mittelstadt. Grab a defenseman with the other picks. I have more faith in Bob McKenzie than Kevin Devine. This is what bothers me with this organization. They should be heavily invest in scouting with the emphasis on these kids.

They did? :unsure:

To me I'm all for taking Tippet or Mittelstadt. Grab a defenseman with the other picks. I have more faith in Bob McKenzie than Kevin Devine. This is what bothers me with this organization. They should be heavily invest in scouting with the emphasis on these kids.

I don't. Not at all 

If Glass, Middlestadt, Liljegren, Vilardi, Heiskanen, Hischier, Makar, Patrick are on the board, and we take Tippett, I will go bat ###### crazy. Tippett has no defense in his game and has boom or bust all over him. He reminds me of Kassian coming into his draft year, the premier "power forward". I don't buy it. I will take Glass, Liljegren, Valimaki, over this kid. Pass!

...I'm kinda rooting for Tippett now :nana:

Of the players you listed, I'd be really surprised if Glass or Mittelstadt is actually there. Shocked in the case of Glass, really. Choice will probably be Liljegren, Tippett, or Valimaki. I think I take them in that order.

Not saying I'd take him at 8, but what do you think about Suzuki? I'm increasingly intrigued.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.