2017 NHL Draft -- Sabres Thread

Thorny

Important Reminder: Literally everything you, and everyone else on the board (with the exception of Brawndo), knows about these players is from Google.  The teams know infinitely more from spending years watching them, and even for them it's guesswork.  A re-draft next year would look completely different, and another re-draft a year later would look different from that.

Maybe relax and hope for the best.

Bingo.

If you want a team with high skill on offense, but no defense and a goalie that gets shelled every night. Oh wait, this draft mirrors our NHL team. You know, the one that just finished with the 5th worst record in the NHL.

One question. Why aren't you a GM? I mean you come across like such a know it all. Okay where exactly is your expertise? Should I trust your opinion or our GM and scouting? If you're opinion why? Just asking because you seem very vocal about all this.

If you want a team with high skill on offense, but no defense and a goalie that gets shelled every night. Oh wait, this draft mirrors our NHL team. You know, the one that just finished with the 5th worst record in the NHL.

Our coach made us the 5th worst team in the league

MiddlingMittlestadt meh

What did they say, he did one pull-up and zero bench presses? Geez, get him away from his electronic devices and McDonalds (he's a lard a$$) and into the weight room.

I just watched the Botterill post-draft interview. He comes across as very personable and knowledgable. The anti-TMGM! I wondered what conversations were like between TMGM and other GMs.

Another GM calls Murray to start trade talks: "We have a surplus of players at position X. I wondered if you'd be interested in player A?" GMTM: "NO!!" Hangs up.

Edited by gilbert11

Important Reminder: Literally everything you, and everyone else on the board (with the exception of Brawndo), knows about these players is from Google.  The teams know infinitely more from spending years watching them, and even for them it's guesswork.  A re-draft next year would look completely different, and another re-draft a year later would look different from that.

I don't think I've ever googled one of these players.  

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we keep making the same mistakes over and over again and our franchise keeps failing.  I hope Jbot will ultimately be different but this year's draft isn't a huge positive step from this fan's point of view.  For example, when your prospect pipeline is nearly devoid of good D prospects (Guhle and maybe Borgen) and your GM adds to D prospects with picks 89 & 99 you would think that would help alleviate that issue, but when respected scouting services like ISS, CSS, Future Considerations, McKeens, Hockeyprospects etc, don't even have these guys in their top 500, this should give a knowledgeable fan pause and should be cause for concern that this glaring need hasn't been filled.

Why is this important?  Take last season.  Our D was terrible.  Why, injuries, a lack of speed, overpriced and unproductive talent were just some of the issues.  However, we had no prospects in Rochester to step up when the vets failed.  None.  Why? Because TM never drafted any good prospects in that area except Guhle and he was playing in Jr.  He also failed to acquire any to fill the gap.  Instead  TM and now JBot drafted and acquired forward after forward after forward.  Hard to improve the D internally if you don't have any.  To put it in better focus, since 2012 when this rebuild began in earnest we have drafted 14 forwards in the 1 & 2 rds, 4d, but only one since 2013, and 1 G (UPL this year).  In addition to the 14 forwards we also acquired F prospects Carrier and Fasching (using a D prospect to get him) plus hit on 2 3rd forwards in Pu and Baptiste.  MCCabe and Risto are two of the 4d.  They are also our two best.  Maybe we would have been better had we drafted one or two more.

Most of the guys and gals here do a great deal of research to support their opinions.  Liger, Dudacek, Rakish, Flagg, me and many others and while we might not be GM's many of us have either played hockey for a considerable period or watched it closely for a considerable period.  In my case it's both.  In fact of all the boards I've ever seen, the people here are amongst the most knowledgeable.  

Bottomline:  I hope I'm wrong about the D from this draft.  I pray that Oskari becomes the next Nik Lidstrom and I have to eat my words.  That would be wonderful. Sadly, the research on NHL drafting by Scott Cullen at TSN and others say that this kid has about a 5% chance of being the player we need him to be.  

Edited by GASabresFan

Agreed, but at the same time this is a message board. If we had that attitude about everything, there'd be nothing to discuss 

I don't think I've ever googled one of these players.  

How else do you know about them?

Agreed, but at the same time this is a message board. If we had that attitude about everything, there'd be nothing to discuss 

How else do you know about them?

There's discussion, and then there's having a 10+ hour long meltdown about a 3rd round pick that you literally know nothing about.  State your opinion and then go about your day.  It's a 17 year old NHL draft pick.  We're years away from definitively knowing if that move was good or bad.

There's discussion, and then there's having a 10+ hour long meltdown about a 3rd round pick that you literally know nothing about. State your opinion and then go about your day. It's a 17 year old NHL draft pick. We're years away from definitively knowing if that move was good or bad.

I predict this will be received poorly

There's discussion, and then there's having a 10+ hour long meltdown about a 3rd round pick that you literally know nothing about. State your opinion and then go about your day. It's a 17 year old NHL draft pick. We're years away from definitively knowing if that move was good or bad.

Bingo.

I mean there's enough info out there that if you want to make an argument they should have went with someone else at 8 then fine. But third round picks in at best a middling draft? Come on man. You obviously have done some homework and I appreciate the info you put out about certain guys but you're comments about how they were throwing picks away and your overall disdain for the selections is ridiculous. Wishing they took someone else? Sure. But your posts have been more than that. Just trust that jbot and scouting staff have wayyyyyyy more data than you and I do.

They should have taken Farrance at 89 and Oscari at 99. That would have been a wiser use of assets in my opinion. Last time I'll comment on it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.