2017 NHL Draft -- Sabres Thread

Thorny

It is basically playing by NCAA rules. You transfer, you sit a year. That is a little harsh so instead you transfer you have to play in the AHL for the year, no call ups or NHL playoffs for you.

There's no need to be punitive towards the player. Just have him re-enter the draft. And if this happens, the team losing the player should get a comp pick.

So the rumors I've heard were Arizona was looking for a D in the draft.  Now that Rags hold the spot does this mean maybe a guy like Heiskanen drops to 8?

Depends on if the NYR take that pick. I could see them taking a forward though for sure. 

If Glass, Middlestadt, Liljegren, Vilardi, Heiskanen, Hischier, Makar, Patrick are on the board, and we take Tippett, I will go bat ###### crazy.  Tippett has no defense in his game and has boom or bust all over him.  He reminds me of Kassian coming into his draft year, the premier "power forward".  I don't buy it.  I will take Glass, Liljegren, Valimaki, over this kid.  Pass!

Power Forward? he is not a power forward at all. He is a goal scorer and elite skater who will play next to Eichel for years and score a ton of goals.

Power Forward? he is not a power forward at all. He is a goal scorer and elite skater who will play next to Eichel for years and score a ton of goals.

I prefer a defenseman, but I agree that Tippett would look good running with Jack.  Perreault /Martin 2.0.

Oh boy - I wouldn't make that comparison lightly. That's best ever Sabres territory.

I didn't and saw the original.  Jack is up to the task, the question is can Tippett continue to produce at that level.  Martin was almost exactly the same type of player; fast good shot and fed off Perreault.  

and Rico couldn't spell defense either. 

Fine. Roy/Vanek

I chuckled

Tippett will not be anything more than a mediocre NHL player, ever.

B-)

Depends on how you define mediocre.  If Kessel is a mediocre player then I agree with you.  I see the same guy essentially.

Liljegren seems to be the name I keep seeing out of the top 3 D that may be available at 8.

Anyone have a strong opinion either way?  How close is he to NHL ready?  Are we seeing him (realistically) max out as a top 2 guy?  Top 4? 

this is the best break down of Liljegren I have seen. 

http://draftineurope.blogspot.ca/2017/02/

definitely worth a read.

Change the rule on college kids to RFA is team makes an contract offer and therefore if they sign elsewhere the losing team gets a draft pick equal to the level of the contract signed. So if the kid signs for a rookie max deal the losing team gets at worst the signing team's 2nd rd pick.

As to this draft. Looking at 10 mock drafts including the 3 new ones on NHL.com, I have reset my tiers a little

Tier 1 - Patrick and Hischier, but Hischier goes 1st

Tier 2 - Heiskanen, Makar, Vilardi, Glass and Mittelstadt. We should be thrilled if one of these falls to us at 8.

Tier 3 - Tippett, Petterson, Liljegren, Necas and Suzuki. Tolvanen falls down to 4.

Tier 4 - Rasmussen, Valimaki, Tolvanen, Vesalainen, Andersson, & Foote.

There is not much seperating Tier 3 from Tier 4. Unless someome from Tier 2 falls to us at 8, the player we get at 12-15 could end up being just as good. This seems like a prime opportunity to trade down if another team has their heart set on a particular player.

Tier 5 - Kostin, Hague, Poehling, Yamamoto, and Brannstrom. This is the last group with a nearly unanimous 1st rd grade.

For what its worth - ESPN's mock from today has Tippett going to Buffalo.

"I've heard they (Sabres Brass) like Tippett quite a lot".

"Tippettt is the best speedster in the draft (NOT A POWER FORWARD), his ability to go from 0-60 is impressive, and he can gain the offensive blue line with ease".  "High Skill level and can make open-ice plays". "he can play shorthanded due to his speed and IQ" "His ability to make plays to his teammates improved as the season went on"."Tippett is an elite skater".

from Future Considerations:

on Tippett "shot is impressive for not only quantity for its quality. His wrist shot off the rush is especially deadly. When he is further back, he has an effective slap shot that has many defenders turning away due to its power" 

"High end skater with a great burst". "edges are powerful as well, making him very effective in the cycle game" "good puck skills although definitely more of a goal scorer than playmaker" "future first line winger"

The Draft Analyst:

"Rugged goal scorer with a lethal shot who produced one of the best wire-to-wire seasons of any 2017 draft prospect. A power forward who can skate extremely well and has tremendous balance and agility, Tippett led the Steelheads with 44 goals and 284 shots. He’s a tenacious goal scorer with a strong desire to succeed. Tippett has an excellent shot and bullies his way into any scoring area to get his stick on the puck. He’s certainly benefitted from flanking a high-end playmaker like Mike McLeod, but he takes a never-say-die approach to every shift and proved to be a low-maintenance goal scorer as the season progressed.

Edited by Crusader1969

For what its worth - ESPN's mock from today has Tippett going to Buffalo.

"I've heard they (Sabres Brass) like Tippett quite a lot".

"Tippettt is the best speedster in the draft (NOT A POWER FORWARD), his ability to go from 0-60 is impressive, and he can gain the offensive blue line with ease". "High Skill level and can make open-ice plays". "he can play shorthanded due to his speed and IQ" "His ability to make plays to his teammates improved as the season went on"."Tippett is an elite skater".

from Future Considerations:

on Tippett "shot is impressive for not only quantity for its quality. His wrist shot off the rush is especially deadly. When he is further back, he has an effective slap shot that has many defenders turning away due to its power"

"High end skater with a great burst". "edges are powerful as well, making him very effective in the cycle game" "good puck skills although definitely more of a goal scorer than playmaker" "future first line winger"

And I'm sold

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.