2017 NHL Draft -- Sabres Thread

Thorny

There's no better goalscorer in the draft than Tippett. The rest of his game sucks RIGHT NOW but he's 18 and that can change. He would be gold with eichel. Imagine eichel nylander Tippett in two years? In saying that, if Makar somehow makes it to 8 he's the pick and Ljengrin (spelling) is a strong possibility. He was a top 3 player heading​ into the year before Mono got him

Royce Crisp just said that Buffalo will take the player with the best shot of being a good NHL player. 

The main 3 or 4 defenders: Heiskanen, Makar, Liljegren, and Valimaki/Vakanainen specifically named by Crisp in that order when asked about defenders in this draft. 

Believe that there is a tier of about 12 players after the top 4-5 grouping. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Royce just said that Buffalo will take the player with the best shot of being a good NHL player. 

The main 3 or 4 defenders: Heiskanen, Makar, Liljegren, and Valimaki/Vakanainen specifically named by Royce in that order when asked about defenders in this draft. 

Jeff Crisp- Royce was let go when GMTM was fired

Royce just said that Buffalo will take the player with the best shot of being a good NHL player. 

The main 3 or 4 defenders: Heiskanen, Makar, Liljegren, and Valimaki/Vakanainen specifically named by Royce in that order when asked about defenders in this draft. 

Royce? Wasn't he fired?

And where can I read/listen/watch?

Not directing this at you Liger but that comment by Royce just seems like something captain obvious would say. That would be the hope with every selection you make I would think.

Edited by bunomatic

There's no better goalscorer in the draft than Tippett. The rest of his game sucks RIGHT NOW but he's 18 and that can change. He would be gold with eichel. Imagine eichel nylander Tippett in two years? In saying that, if Makar somehow makes it to 8 he's the pick and Ljengrin (spelling) is a strong possibility. He was a top 3 player heading​ into the year before Mono got him

Tippett is a shooter and pure goal scorer. Why wouldn't we want him to play wing with Eichel? He skating is also considered high end and has a great burst. Tippett is also very effective in the cycle game. Contrary, to what most think he is actually a very good passer and play-maker but does have a shoot first mentality. Wrist shot is deadly and slap shot is extremely effective.

He is 18 and will need to be coached so that he isn't a liability in his own end. I figure, if he is playing with Jack, how much D do I really want him playing?

I'll be excited to see the Sabres draft him

No worries

Per Corey Pronman the Devils maybe leaning towards picking Cale Makar First Overall

Smart team

I think Tippett is going to be our pick, for whatever reason. Just a guess from what I've read. I've advocated for not drafting him, so I'll have to come around on him, I suppose.

A horrifying proposition

Jeff Crisp on WGR now.

Interesting he and Devine will run the draft with input from Botterill.

Stated they will have eight players targeted for the 8th Pick, but Botterill has some things in the hopper about moving up or down

And he did give some love to Greg Royce as well.

Judging from what Crisp said, I would say the Sabres will rank their 8 guys they want at #8 and take whoever is highest on their list. I can see us getting a forward. This mad dash for defenders that has developed could land us a great player at #8. 

If I was McPhee I would want a shot at either Makar or Neskinen.  Paired with Theodore down the road and you are building a nice blue line.  They could sit pat and pick up a good F and Valimaki and Branstrom if they so choose.  Nice position to be in.  

I would do your 2nd option. Take Valimaki and Brannstrom while getting someone like Glass or Mittlestad or Vilardi.  

Judging from what Crisp said, I would say the Sabres will rank their 8 guys they want at #8 and take whoever is highest on their list. I can see us getting a forward. This mad dash for defenders that has developed could land us a great player at #8. 

I would do your 2nd option. Take Valimaki and Brannstrom while getting someone like Glass or Mittlestad or Vilardi.  

no lose either way.  

Is Kevin Devine has been part of this organization over the last 3 administrations. He has been a key figure in the our drafting under Regier, TM and now Jbot. Our drafting during his tenure has been mediocre at best. Is he part of the problem?

I think that our development plan for prospects has been terrible.

I also think Devine stays because he is good at valuing players based on his GMs wishes. Smaller but fast, fast but tough, skilled with good attitude.

Edited by LGR4GM

Is Kevin Devine has been part of this organization over the last 3 administrations. He has been a key figure in the our drafting under Regier, TM and now Jbot. Our drafting during his tenure has been mediocre at best. Is he part of the problem?

Yeah I'm not sure why so many people like him. I want the Ducks defence scout - he is amazing

What about trading 8th to Vegas for 13 & 15. Is the difference in talent enough to hang on to 8?

vegas would be dumb to do it. but no the talent difference does not seem enough to say no to that

Looking at what I think, there really isn't a huge drop  until in that 13-15 range. Necas, Petersson, Tippett, Suzuki could all come in that 6-12 area. 

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.