What do you think of trading Kane, signing Vanek?

Sabre fan

When I saw this thread, my immediate thought was that if I were to use Vanek to replace anyone, it would be Moulson.  Looking up their stats, I'm shocked to see that they're both the same age,  It feels like Moulson is about ten years older at this point.

That's because the last time you were rooting for Vanek, he *was* ten years younger (more or less).

Edited by Doohickie

How would Vanek rank among the most talented Sabres of all time?

Maybe not top 10, but I'm guessing pretty easily top 20.

Gilbert, Rico, Housley, Turgeon, Mogilny, Hawerchuk, Lafontaine, Dom, Connolly, Eichel...

In terms of straight skill, who else had more?

Are you saying he is even in the same world with Gare? Ramsey? , Luce?, Man I could go on. Top 20? Maybe but it's close. Now.....don't want any part of him. Edited by Radar

When I saw this thread, my immediate thought was that if I were to use Vanek to replace anyone, it would be Moulson. Looking up their stats, I'm shocked to see that they're both the same age, It feels like Moulson is about ten years older at this point.

Agreed

How would Vanek rank among the most talented Sabres of all time?

Maybe not top 10, but I'm guessing pretty easily top 20.

Gilbert, Rico, Housley, Turgeon, Mogilny, Hawerchuk, Lafontaine, Dom, Connolly, Eichel...

In terms of straight skill, who else had more?

Swap Connolly for Andrechuck.  In terms of straight skill, there were more, but time in service counts.  Vanek had talent and time served.

Vanek was never the player we needed, so he wasn't the player we wanted.  I'm not sure he was capable of changing that.

Are you saying he is even in the same world with Gare? Ramsey? , Luce?, Man I could go on. Top 20? Maybe but it's close. Now.....don't want any part of him.

I was trying to stress most skilled, or talented, as opposed to best — your three were better players, IMO, but I don't think Luce or Ramsay could touch Thomas in terms of offensive ability. Danny could make a case — he had a great shot — but Thomas had far slicker hands.

Not taking four first round picks to sign Vanek was a worse idea, IMO

I really, and I mean really hate rehashing this but if Darcy let Drury, Briere and Vanek all walk in one season, fans may have never come back. The tank was bad enough but just letting your 3 best players leave for no immediate return would have been career suicide for Darcy. Now, we can argue the merits of that but it just wasn't going to happen.

Edited by inkman

I really, and I mean really hate rehashing this but if Darcy let Drury, Briere and Vanek all walk in one season, fans may have never come back. The tank was bad enough but just letting your 3 best players leave for no immediate return would have been career suicide for Darcy. Now, we can argue the merits of that but it just wasn't going to happen.

Yup. In hindsight, letting Vanek walk might have worked. But it would have signaled the start of a rebuild immediately following two great playoff runs. No one would do that. 

Briere had more skill -- by a mile.

Gare had a better shot, better speed (although every now and then Vanek showed a shocking burst -- but that was kinda the problem with him -- he only skated like that once in a while), better decision-making and equivalent hands.

Soupy was a better skater and had a better slapper.

If Rick Vaive counts as a Sabre, he was more skilled too.

I missed most of the Hawerchuk era in Buffalo, but he was more skilled too.

As a fan since 2005, Vanek was certainly the best winger I've ever seen on this team. 

I think we'd have a much different view of him if we had kept the co-captains and had a few more playoff runs in that time frame. He still managed to score 40 at one point after they left, as our best forward. 

I agree is was a good short term decision for Darcy. Buffalo fans not come back? Right!

Sign a few free agents with the money they saved and the buzz and excitement would have returned. Obviously I was never a big Vanek fan. Didn't most of his success come against other teams second tier players?

I agree is was a good short term decision for Darcy. Buffalo fans not come back? Right!

Sign a few free agents with the money they saved and the buzz and excitement would have returned. Obviously I was never a big Vanek fan. Didn't most of his success come against other teams second tier players?

I don't think I need to pontificate too long on my hatred for Vanek. He was who he was, a good scoring winger who never wasn't going to live up to fan expectations.

I don't think I need to pontificate too long on my hatred for Vanek. He was who he was, a good scoring winger who never wasn't going to live up to fan expectations.

Hey, if they get a decent contract I wouldn't hate him on a third line here, but the idea that he is a superstar or something is putting it too far

Gare had a better shot, better speed (although every now and then Vanek showed a shocking burst -- but that was kinda the problem with him -- he only skated like that once in a while), better decision-making and equivalent hands.

Completely overlooked Briere - definitely agree there.

Vaive's an interesting one, they were very similar players at their peaks.

But Sabre Vaive couldn't touch Sabre Vanek.

Hawerchuk might be top five.

His playoff performance during the Mayday year was among the best displays I've ever seen by a Sabre.

No. Just no. Not even close. Briere is a career .72 PPG player, Vanek .79. If Briere had more skill by a mile, was he supremely lazy? I mean, c'mon, it's not like you can point to his 200-foot game as being better. Again. Vanek is criminally underappreciated because he wasn't the franchise player we needed him to be after the co-caps left. But he was a great offensive player.

Vanek is easily a top-20 Sabre, and can make a case for top-10 in terms of skill. His worst season as a Sabre was better than Kane's best, whom people are perfectly willing to invest 7 years in.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

No. Just no. Not even close. Briere is a career .72 PPG player, Vanek .79. If Briere had more skill by a mile, was he supremely lazy? I mean, c'mon, it's not like you can point to his 200-foot game as being better. Again. Vanek is criminally underappreciated because he wasn't the franchise player we needed him to be after the co-caps left. But he was a great offensive player.

Vanek is easily a top-20 Sabre, and can make a case for top-10 in terms of skill. His worst season as a Sabre was better than Kane's best, whom people are perfectly willing to invest 7 years in.

Briere was an underachiever before Lindy got him. I haven't run the numbers but I'm confident they're substantially better than Vanek's if you start in 2005. And let's not forget playoff scoring.

Vanek is top 15. He is better than Briere. I have a signed Vanek jersey and I love it. That said I don't think I trade Kane and replace him with Vanek. The skillsets are different. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.