What do you think of trading Kane, signing Vanek?

Sabre fan

I think Kane played with Oreilly didn't he? Anyways, we would see Vanek take up some of the even-strength scoring if we traded kane and of course we would get something in return as well.Hopefully the new GM is as good as we like to think he'll be and he'll do what the leafs did so well...get out from under some really bad contracts and give us room for not only Vanek but young guys to fit in as well... 

I think Kane played with Oreilly didn't he? Anyways, we would see Vanek take up some of the even-strength scoring if we traded kane and of course we would get something in return as well.Hopefully the new GM is as good as we like to think he'll be and he'll do what the leafs did so well...get out from under some really bad contracts and give us room for not only Vanek but young guys to fit in as well... 

If we get rid of Moulson I will give Vanek 1.5mil x2 years and not a penny more. He doesn't drive possession or scoring, he is a passenger. 

Maybe Cy Hgsn, but Jerry D'Amigo, Zac Dalpe, Nick Deslauriers, Zenon Konopka, Matt Ellis, Brian Flynn, Phil Varone, Luke Adam, Cory Conacher, Matt D'Agostini, Ville Leino, Linus Omark, Kevin Porter, John Scott or Corey Tropp?

My God the tank gave us some bad hockey players.

I held back a tear reading off these names, I'm so sad that I know them all and watched them play. Except Big John. He brings a smile to my face.

No trade unless it's a marvelous one.

No Vanek under any circumstance.

I started this stupid thread and have to admit I am more and more not feeling the Vanek idea...but, I do think we should move Kane if we have no intention of re-signing him. he is a massive talent and a great asset and I am just afraid we'll let him walk to UFA like we did with drury and Briere without getting anything for him. I don't think we have to worry about Vanek cause new GMJBotto likes young & fast (see Pittsburg), not old (or aging) & slow 

I started this stupid thread and have to admit I am more and more not feeling the Vanek idea...but, I do think we should move Kane if we have no intention of re-signing him. he is a massive talent and a great asset and I am just afraid we'll let him walk to UFA like we did with drury and Briere without getting anything for him. I don't think we have to worry about Vanek cause new GMJBotto likes young & fast (see Pittsburg), not old (or aging) & slow

But Drury and Briere happened under a different owner and GM. No modern gm with a team that isn't a shoe in for playoffs is gonna let a ufa like Kane go for nothing. If Botterill does, he's not good at his job.

But Drury and Briere happened under a different owner and GM. No modern gm with a team that isn't a shoe in for playoffs is gonna let a ufa like Kane go for nothing. If Botterill does, he's not good at his job.

Unless,of course, Kane doesn't want to stay here in which case you would have to take something in return you would otherwise not accept. It's not totally in the GM'S hands at times.

I think you are right but I just don't want to see the Kane thing drag on...I actually hope we just re-sign at 5 years at 6 mil...that'll work

Vanek has to be one of the most underappreciated Sabres of all time. He'll be a nice value signing for some team.

Thank you. 

Really?  Vanek is a talented forward who could never string along enough "it" to make himself the player he could be.  I stand that he should have gone to Edmonton when the Sabres had the chance to let him go to Edmonton.  We'd all be better for it.  Perhaps he would have flourished there...

But while he managed to put up statistics he never managed to get his team to go very far.  Any team he's on.

Really?  Vanek is a talented forward who could never string along enough "it" to make himself the player he could be.  I stand that he should have gone to Edmonton when the Sabres had the chance to let him go to Edmonton.  We'd all be better for it.  Perhaps he would have flourished there...

But while he managed to put up statistics he never managed to get his team to go very far.  Any team he's on.

He's just like Phil Kessel. Stick him with the right guys and he can score in buckets. The problem with Vanek in Buffalo wasn't Vanek, it was the rest of the team. 

He's just like Phil Kessel. Stick him with the right guys and he can score in buckets. The problem with Vanek in Buffalo wasn't Vanek, it was the rest of the team. 

Well that was the problem... he needed the guys.  Which is to say he wasn't able to do enough by himself... and therefore not the great player that was needed.  Vanek is Vanek and he didn't have the it factor to drive the team to where it had to go.  There were plenty of times when he wasn't giving it his all on the ice.  The Vanek is lazy meme doesn't exist if he isn't at least part of the time actually being lazy.

Vanek has to be one of the most underappreciated Sabres of all time. He'll be a nice value signing for some team.

I agree with the bolded (not so much the first sentence, as I think he had plenty of fans while he was here).  But in any case I think if a team snags him for, say, $2.5MM on a 1-year deal, he'll deliver good value.  I don't think he'll get more than a 2-year deal (and if I were a GM I wouldn't give him more than 1 year).

Well that was the problem... he needed the guys.  Which is to say he wasn't able to do enough by himself... and therefore not the great player that was needed.  Vanek is Vanek and he didn't have the it factor to drive the team to where it had to go.  There were plenty of times when he wasn't giving it his all on the ice.  The Vanek is lazy meme doesn't exist if he isn't at least part of the time actually being lazy.

I think the lazy Vanek meme was unfair. He's patient as a player. It's his style. You're right, he doesn't have the "it" factor. But that's not his fault. I think the idea that he could be anything other than what he is just by willing himself to it is a flawed argument. 

I think if you plug him in here now with players who do have "it", you get the most out of who Vanek is and always was. 

I think the lazy Vanek meme was unfair. He's patient as a player. It's his style. You're right, he doesn't have the "it" factor. But that's not his fault. I think the idea that he could be anything other than what he is just by willing himself to it is a flawed argument. 

I think if you plug him in here now with players who do have "it", you get the most out of who Vanek is and always was. 

He was never lazy, just like he was never soft.  The guy has 700 points in 885 NHL games.  Not too shabby of a career.

Vanek was a very good player. His problem was he was perceived (and paid) to be a great player that was never truly able to fill the skates left behind by 23 and 48. I'm just glad he was shipped out before Pegula made him the highest paid player in the league as was rumored to be the case before he was traded for Moulson. Imagine the storm of salary cap issues we'd have if that had happened.

If we get rid of Moulson I will give Vanek 1.5mil x2 years and not a penny more. He doesn't drive possession or scoring, he is a passenger. 

When I saw this thread, my immediate thought was that if I were to use Vanek to replace anyone, it would be Moulson.  Looking up their stats, I'm shocked to see that they're both the same age,  It feels like Moulson is about ten years older at this point.

How would Vanek rank among the most talented Sabres of all time?

Maybe not top 10, but I'm guessing pretty easily top 20.

Gilbert, Rico, Housley, Turgeon, Mogilny, Hawerchuk, Lafontaine, Dom, Connolly, Eichel...

In terms of straight skill, who else had more?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.