It's The Zack Bogosian Thread!

bob_sauve28

* Makes over $5 million a year up to 2020

* Has had some injury problems 

* High draft pick with eight years of experience 

He's ours for awhile unless a trade happens. He kind of reminds me of Drew Stafford. Signed the big contract and that sapped that little bit of incentive where he is not a top level NHL defenseman. He has the physical skills, for the most part, but not the best skater in the world. Just looks like he is not fully engaged at times. Perhaps a new coach can bring more out of him. Would be really nice if he could anchor our second defense pair and make that work. I do not have a lot of confidence in him but who knows? 

I'm more and more convinced our best course is to team him with Risto on the offensive pair.

Get a mobile shutdown guy (Brodin, Tanev, Manson, Murray...) to play with McCabe against the top lines.

Bogo is a big dumb horse. Let him run.

Bogo's got all of the physical tools the job requires.

He looked like his confidence was shot last year.

He needs the defenseman whisperer. 

If the next coach can resurrect Bogo into a viable top-4 defenseman, and if Antipin is the real deal, the Sabres' blue line could look about 500% better next year.

Is there a coaching candidate out there who knows something about defensemen transitioning the puck out of the defensive zone and up the ice quickly?  Maybe one with red hair and about a million NHL points and games played?

If the next coach can resurrect Bogo into a viable top-4 defenseman, and if Antipin is the real deal, the Sabres' blue line could look about 500% better next year.

Is there a coaching candidate out there who knows something about defensemen transitioning the puck out of the defensive zone and up the ice quickly? Maybe one with red hair and about a million NHL points and games played?

Defenseman whisperer.. I like it. Maybe Housley?

I'm interested to see how he'll play under a new coach, not ready to give up on him yet.

I'm here as well. Given his age and the fact that our defense is such a sore spot, I'd rather FXGMJB focus on getting rid of the other dead weight on the roster (Moulson, Ennis, Gorges) before worrying about Bogosian. He's supposed to be in his prime right now as a defenseman and he's been decent under pretty much every coach he's ever played for except DB. There are bigger problems to focus attention on.

I'm more and more convinced our best course is to team him with Risto on the offensive pair.

Get a mobile shutdown guy (Brodin, Tanev, Manson, Murray...) to play with McCabe against the top lines.

:lol: 

I think this fits. 

The problem with this is they both belong on the right hand side. It's one thing to stash an off handed pairing further down the lineup but it's another thing to have it front and center on your top pairing against the other teams' best players. The better teams will eat them alive.

Maybe Vegas take him, but if not then I don't see any way he's not on the team next year. I keep forgetting about him when I plan out the blueline, but he's to expensive to buyout or trade. 

I don't really think he's that bad, that contract though...woof.

The problem with this is they both belong on the right hand side. It's one thing to stash an off handed pairing further down the lineup but it's another thing to have it front and center on your top pairing against the other teams' best players. The better teams will eat them alive.

Don't want them playing against other team's best players.

That's for the McCabe/new guy combo.

Bogosian likes playing his off side.

Some of his best hockey (I know that's not saying much) under Bylsma was on his off-side with Franson.

Still think he has it in him to be a very good 3-4 guy. remember, he was rated extremely high in the 2008 draft and was taken 3rd overall. He was thought to be a perfect combination of size, skill, speed and both offense and defense capabilities. With a new coach and a shot of much neeed confidence (which most of the roster needs) I think he'll be a good defenseman.

Looking at that 2008 draft is crazy...defensemen  were the big thing that year, with a ton of great (or thought to be ) players on defense up for grabs. Drew Dought went 2nd (Stamkos was one), then Bogo 3rd. after that, we had Pietrangelo 4th, Luke Schenn (don't laugh) 5th, we took Tyler Myers at 12, LA picked some  defenseman named Colten Teubert at 13, Ottawa got some guy name Karlsson at 15 (what a steal),Anaheim took jake gardiner at 17, Luca Sbisa was taken at 19, Del Zoot at 20, someone named Tyler Cuma by Minnesota at 23, John Carlson at 27 finished the defensemen picked in the 1stround in 2008. Of note Rmoan Josi went to Nashville in the 2nd round. Great year for defensemen

Is there a coaching candidate out there who knows something about defensemen transitioning the puck out of the defensive zone and up the ice quickly?  Maybe one with red hair and about a million NHL points and games played?

+1 Couldn't agree more

If there was one guy that DDB crippled it was Bogosian IMO, 

You may be right on with this one

D*mn. Read this thread title as "It's the Zack Kassian Thread!" & immediately wondered why? :doh:

But, speaking of big, dumb horses (getting back on track) agree w/ Dudacek & We've. Let the Sabres' big, dumb horse just run. Please don't make him overthink.

I like the big, dumb horse description of his play. And I think letting him run might be the way he needs to play to live up to billing.

He's not dumb to me he's more of an instinctive player. Blysma was a chalk board coach and a non-communicator, a crippler of those that act on instincts. 

He's not dumb to me he's more of an instinctive player. Blysma was a chalk board coach and a non-communicator, a crippler of those that act on instincts.

Dumb in playing style. Simple, rugged, raw. I have no reason to believe he lacks intelligence.

Dumb in playing style. Simple, rugged, raw. I have no reason to believe he lacks intelligence.

Me too, in case anyone wasn't sure about the original post.

Bogo is playing in the wrong era. In 1974 he would have been Jim Schoenfeld.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.