Jason Botterill: Hired as New Sabres GM

LGR4GM

I'm sure he'll be a lot more polished and spit shined than TM was but I'm going to miss his interviews. I don't think we'll get any real information from the new guy but I wish him nothing but the best, GO SABRES 

I mean, to be fair a lot of those don't mean anything when it comes to being a good GM.

They don't mean he's a good GM. They do mean he can directly relate to pretty much every job and every situation in the hockey department. And that he is intelligent. And that he has a track record of success.

I think they are all relevant.

NHL player

Minor league player

WJC three-time champ

NCAA national champ

1st-round draft pick

captain

AHL champion

Has an MBA

Scout

Hockey department administrator

Contract negotiator

Capologist

Minor league player development manager

Young and experienced

Assistant GM

Associate GM

Stanley Cup champion

Guy might seem vanilla and he can't avoid the Ghost of Pittsburgh hires past, but damn, that's an impressive resume. What check marks is he missing?

Very nice. You missed former Sabre and current Pen, which I think rank highly for Terry (along with young). But I can't hold that against Botterill. I truly feel good about this hire. There's not much to be skeptical or negative about. For now lol.

NHL player

Minor league player

WJC three-time champ

NCAA national champ

1st-round draft pick

captain

AHL champion

Has an MBA

Scout

Contract negotiator

Capologist

Young and experienced

Assistant GM

Associate GM

Stanley Cup champion

Guy might seem vanilla and he can't avoid the Ghost of Pittsburgh hires past, but damn, that's an impressive resume. What check marks is he missing?

A cup as a GM.

I expect him to get that here.

I think it is safe to say that we will see a big difference in how the everyday operation of both Buffalo and Rochester is run. You certainly never hear of any stupid crap going on in Pittsburg and even with Cindy, Malkin, Letang and Fleury/Murray in the fold. There exist a definite possiibility of a power struggle between these stars and  yet you never hear of any sort of stuff going on. That is a great-running operation and we can only hope that GMJB brings that sort of thing to Buffalo for many years to come

Very nice. You missed former Sabre and current Pen, which I think rank highly for Terry (along with young). But I can't hold that against Botterill. I truly feel good about this hire. There's not much to be skeptical or negative about. For now lol.

You're on board with this hire?

So that means Terry is doing *it* right by hiring this new GM?

I like the new positive PA !

They don't mean he's a good GM. They do mean he can directly relate to pretty much every job and every situation in the hockey department. And that he is intelligent. And that he has a track record of success.

Very similar to Beane with the Bills. He came up through the Panther's organization and help a role in almost every department at one time or another. 

I think it's a good idea, assuming you also bring in good scouts that can evaluate talent. 

Why do we always assume that the new coach has to come from the new GMs tree?  That assumption blew up in our face last time.

Because cohesion. It's the new buzzword at PSE.

I need this explained  :ph34r:

Jason Botterill.

Jas Botter

Ja Bott

J Bot.

JBOT.

There have been so many ex-players that don't translate to being a good GM, or a good coach. Likewise, there exists a ton of guys who've never played the sport and have been fantastic at either position. Playing in the league, or playing the sport anywhere, does not mean you're a good HC or GM

NHL player

Minor league player

WJC three-time champ

NCAA national champ

1st-round draft pick

captain

AHL champion

Has an MBA

Scout

Contract negotiator

Capologist

Young and experienced

Assistant GM

Associate GM

Stanley Cup champion

Stanley Cup - Buffalo Sabres.  Though seriously, that is some serious hardware.  I'm just happy this is finally over so we can start moving in the new direction.  

Isn't Chayka like 28?

Yeah he's in his late 20's

Details?

@WGR550  11m11 minutes ago
 Rutherford - Jason doesn't need my advice. He's learned things from me and I've learned things from him. #Sabres

@WGR550
Rutherford - He'll be methodical, he'll turn this team around quickly #Sabres

@WGR550
Rutherford - Botterill's very good at managing the salary cap, he understands it very well. #Sabres

@WGR550
Rutherford - Jason's a #1 pick as a GM. He's very well prepared, bright hockey guy. He will not leave any stone unturned #Sabres

@WGR550
Rutherford - I'm going to miss Jason. He's been with the Penguins longer than I have, but we are very happy for him #Sabres

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.