Post your defenceman trade proposals here

dudacek

You can always find a good post in any trade thread on hfboards that teaches you something about a player you didn't know, you just have to wade through the other 90 bad ones to get it. And we need to keep our centers and forwards, this stuff always goes in cycles, let's be the guys ahead of a curve for once. It'll bounce back and then we strike 

Or we can finish our LA model that Tim started 3 years ago

I'm good w/the bolded in general, provided there's still some way Botterill can find to upgrade the defence for next season. It's time to legitimately compete for the playoffs and our current back-end won't get it done.

I'm good w/the bolded in general, provided there's still some way Botterill can find to upgrade the defence for next season. It's time to legitimately compete for the playoffs and our current back-end won't get it done.

I'm in favor of the "small changes for now" approach - like, sign Russell, trade for De Haan, don't play Gorges, and see what we look like with Housley coaching them. 

I wanted the big move last year, Fowler in particular, I avoid that type of move this offseason. We'll see what it looks like next summer. 

I suppose we can attempt it with a McCabe - Ristolainen, Antipin - Bogosian top 4, but to my mind it's a risky proposition to count on both a relative unknown in Antipin and an oft-injured Bogo resurgence to cement our top 4, particularly when some of the load needs to be removed from Risto's shoulders.

I'm in favor of the "small changes for now" approach - like, sign Russell, trade for De Haan, don't play Gorges, and see what we look like with Housley coaching them. 

I wanted the big move last year, Fowler in particular, I avoid that type of move this offseason. We'll see what it looks like next summer.

I wouldn't really consider trading for de Haan a small move. I'm hesitant to think we'll even be able to pull off a trade like that.

If they do this right, in 5 years they could be a force to reckon with

They could build something interesting relatively quickly, heck, the Sabres have a shot of making the playoffs five years after, well, we all remember.

I have read otherwise sane (I assume) people suggesting there's a possibility they'll be anything other than hot garbage this coming season though. Even George McPhee giggles at that.

Ok, we are inching closer to the expansion, the draft and free agency.  So where do we stand on D?

At the end of last season our D looked something like this

McCabe Risto

Kulikov Bogo

Gorges Franson

Falk 

Now?

McCabe Risto

Beaulieu Bogo

Gorges Antipin

Falk

Obviously, Beaulieu and Antipin are cheaper replacements and younger.  Imho they are also better players (certainly better skaters) then the twosome they replace.  Baloo has some size and put up 28 pts last season, which is 4 more pts then Franson and Kulikov combined.  Antipin had 24 pts in 59 KHL games last season  (plus 11 pts (7goals) in 18 playoff games). If he could approach that number in 82 games in the NHL, we'd have to call that a huge win for the Sabres.  

The next question is jbot done remaking the group? is Gorges returning?  I think the answer is no to both questions.  Gorges is to slow to play the system Housley and Jbot want.  That means to me he'll be replaced.

Edited by GASabresFan

Ok, we are inching closer to the expansion, the draft and free agency.  So where do we stand on D?

At the end of last season our D looked something like this

McCabe Risto

Kulikov Bogo

Gorges Franson

Falk Fedun

Now?

McCabe Risto

Bealieau

McCabe   Risto

Beaulieu  Antipin

Falk         Bogo

Gorges

I still don't see Antipin as a top 6. He's a depth guy at best, most likely starts the season in Rochester. He's undersized and poor in his own end based on what I saw of him in the Worlds.

What exactly does he bring to the table that people are putting him in the top 4?

Edited by pi2000

I still don't see Antipin as a top 6. He's a depth guy at best, most likely starts the season in Rochester. He's undersized and poor in his own end based on what I saw of him in the Worlds.

What exactly does he bring to the table that people are putting him in the top 4?

Agree that people are overly optimistic in how he is being slotted.

However, he will not be in Rochester according to interview I read: its Buffalo or Russia.

My reading is the Sabres sold him on assurances they believe he is good enough to play in Buffalo and have him pencilled in as a bottom pairing guy.

We won't know until he gets here, but he seems to play the style we are looking for.

I think that bounce back will happen sooner rather than later. The Pens didn't win the cup with defense is all I am saying. 

They also have Crosby and Malkin. When you have 2 of the (probably) best 5 forwards on the planet it's easier to get away with a weaker defense. The rest of the NHL doesn't have that luxury.

Ryan O'Reilly for Justin Faulk of Carolina. We get a top pair defenseman, they get a top line center. Gives us the added benefit or practically forcing Reinhart into a center role for us and additional cap space since Faulk's cap hit is under $5 million. They'll like how much we front loaded O'Reilly's contract since they are a budget team even though for the next 2 years they'd still have to pay him more than his cap hit but they'd be able to recoup it on the back end of his deal.

This would stack our right side compared to our left but it would allow us to play Antipin on the left hand side and slide Bogosian down to the third pairing.

McCabe     Faulk

Beaulieu    Ristolainen

Antipin       Bogosian

Ryan O'Reilly for Justin Faulk of Carolina. We get a top pair defenseman, they get a top line center. Gives us the added benefit or practically forcing Reinhart into a center role for us and additional cap space since Faulk's cap hit is under $5 million. They'll like how much we front loaded O'Reilly's contract since they are a budget team even though for the next 2 years they'd still have to pay him more than his cap hit but they'd be able to recoup it on the back end of his deal.

This would stack our right side compared to our left but it would allow us to play Antipin on the left hand side and slide Bogosian down to the third pairing.

McCabe     Faulk

Beaulieu    Ristolainen

Antipin       Bogosian

Okay, if Carolina includes their 1st and 2nd round picks this year and Hadyn Fluery then sure. 

ROR for Faulk, Hadyn Fleury, #12, #42, #52, and #62

Edited by LGR4GM

Okay, if Carolina includes their 1st and 2nd round picks this year and Hadyn Fluery then sure. 

That is approaching Roy for Malkin and a 1st type territory. You get more bang for the buck with Faulk at under $5 million than we do with O'Reilly for $7.5 million. Given their glut at defense and ours at center it seems like an even swap to me. O'Reilly does have 3 extra years on his deal though so I can see them adding something, but I highly doubt it would be all of the 3 things you listed.

That is approaching Roy for Malkin and a 1st type territory. You get more bang for the buck with Faulk at under $5 million than we do with O'Reilly for $7.5 million. Given their glut at defense and ours at center it seems like an even swap to me. O'Reilly does have 3 extra years on his deal though so I can see them adding something, but I highly doubt it would be all of the 3 things you listed.

Says who? 

We have reached insanity level with defenders at this stage. It is like a frenzy. 

Says who? 

We have reached insanity level with defenders at this stage. It is like a frenzy. 

Says math.

Faulk

$4,833,333 in cap hit for 37 points equals $130,630.60 per point

O'Reilly

$7,500,000 in cap hit for 55 points equals $136,363.60 per point

I get that there's a ton more to hockey than scoring points but the fact that Faulk produces more per dollar of cap hit despite being a defenseman while also anchoring Carolina's top pair and playing against the toughest competition the same way O'Reilly does here is kind of tips the scales in his favor.

McCabe     Faulk

Beaulieu    Ristolainen

Antipin       Bogosian

Hey man, not cool. I saw this posted by Interstellar Space Sasquatch over on the Canes board. :)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.