2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 2

WildCard

I'm not going to blame Fluery for that goal. That is an incredibly tough save to make. If a shooter hits that keyhole, he earned the goal.

That said, goal #2 was dreadful by Fluery.

You can just tell when he's rattled and it doesn't take much. He gets very erratic and unsure of himself. He was very average last game too. Not to say his teammates aren't to blame either, they're leaving him hanging.

Ducks and Pens revealed to be pretenders this year, I think. Both embarrassed in game 6.

Very likely Edmonton and Washington take game 7. I'd guess uneven games, actually.

no no no, ducks will beat the oilers, it my bracket is ruined enough already :p

Lotsa chatter out on Twitter about whether it's valid for the Senators players to be talking (and they are talking) about how it was critical for the coach to dress Chris Neil in the last game (his TOI was less than 3:00) and how Neil may have been the most important player in the lineup for that game.

More talk from the Sens players about how Neil being dressed makes the entire team play a game that's harder, braver.

Most analytic types are pooh-poohing that sort of talk. Because numbers?

But what do we think? It's a pretty interesting point of debate for the old schoolers and the new schoolers.

Lotsa chatter out on Twitter about whether it's valid for the Senators players to be talking (and they are talking) about how it was critical for the coach to dress Chris Neil in the last game (his TOI was less than 3:00) and how Neil may have been the most important player in the lineup for that game.

More talk from the Sens players about how Neil being dressed makes the entire team play a game that's harder, braver.

But what do we think? It's a pretty interesting point of debate for the old schoolers and the new schoolers.

Staying away from the stats (which is a slam dunk argument that Neil is useless): If a dude who plays 3 minutes is that important, there's something very wrong with the mental/emotional makeup of the rest of the roster.

I hate that scum bag, but his teammates are right. They need him in the lineup and I will be shocked and surprised if he isn't tonight.

Staying away from the stats (which is a slam dunk argument that Neil is useless): If a dude who plays 3 minutes is that important, there's something very wrong with the mental/emotional makeup of the rest of the roster.

The Rangers and Sens being a 2nd round series is so stupid. The ECF is going to be boring.

I don't think that shows that there is something wrong with their mental/emotional makeup. I think it shows that this is a game played by human beings that have a mental/emotional makeup.

Hmm.

Thing is: If your team is on the verge of advancing to the conference finals, your team is pretty good. I can't get on board with the idea that there must be something "very wrong" with that squad, based on where they are right now.

I don't think that shows that there is something wrong with their mental/emotional makeup. I think it shows that this is a game played by human beings that have a mental/emotional makeup.

Touche'!

According to Bill Daly, Crosby wasn't pulled from the game by spotters because he hit the boards and not the ice. Apparently hitting the boards isn't considered a predictor of concussions. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1297655-crosby-s-collision-didn-t-warrant-mandatory-removal-because-he-hit-boards-nhl-says

Crosby said he was checked out, coach says he wasn't.

http://deadspin.com/im-not-sure-sidney-crosbys-brain-is-ok-1795048580

I question the makeup of that team if they need that snot on the bench to play their best. That's not a team that's going to win a cup, even if Jesus Chris(t) Neil is on the bench. 

According to Bill Daly, Crosby wasn't pulled from the game by spotters because he hit the boards and not the ice. Apparently hitting the boards isn't considered a predictor of concussions. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1297655-crosby-s-collision-didn-t-warrant-mandatory-removal-because-he-hit-boards-nhl-says

Crosby said he was checked out, coach says he wasn't.

http://deadspin.com/im-not-sure-sidney-crosbys-brain-is-ok-1795048580

Lmfao

I actually wasn't calling you a robot. I just get the feeling that you might prefer watching them play hockey.  :lol:

Is that the feared end game for advanced stats in sports?

You get your stats gurus, and I'll get mine, and, pursuant to certain rules and parameters, they'll each assemble a roster of theoretical players, and then those teams will play each other in 10,000 simulations to determine supremacy?

The Sens are the worst team I've seen make it to the 2nd round in a long time.

It's a team full of middle-six players and EK that got to play Boston and NYR in the first two rounds while Pittsburgh/Washington/CBJ tear each other apart. 

EK is enough to keep me rooting for their success, however. Unless Washington wins, then I hope and expect that they expose the Sens for what they are.

Speaking of showing for what they are, I saw this excellent meme after the Toronto series:

Z6yI8is.jpg

Is that the feared end game for advanced stats in sports?

You get your stats gurus, and I'll get mine, and, pursuant to certain rules and parameters, they'll each assemble a roster of theoretical players, and then those teams will play each other in 10,000 simulations to determine supremacy?

This will only work after they convince us suckers/fans to buy tickets to watch the simulations and buy sweet simulation swag.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.