2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 2

WildCard

Reinhart was clear #2 at the time. There was only the question of Ekblad or Reinhart at 2 depending on FLA.

XGMTM did a mess on the Reinhardt draft. Daisaitl is so much better, it really hurts as German Buffalo fan.

XGMTM picked the consensus best center in the draft. You can't really argue with that in hindsight. They're also very young, it'll be interesting to see who has the better career over the long term.

XGMTM picked the consensus best center in the draft. You can't really argue with that in hindsight. They're also very young, it'll be interesting to see who has the better career over the long term.

No.  It was far from a "consensus."  It was quite unclear at the time who was best out of Reino, Sam Bennett or Draisaitl. 

Draisaitl, after a 77-point regular season, now has 16 pts in 12 playoff games, including 13 in 6 games in 2nd round.

The story isn't fully written yet, but it sure looks like GMTM chose the wrong guy, and it's fair to criticize him for it.

No.  It was far from a "consensus."  It was quite unclear at the time who was best out of Reino, Sam Bennett or Draisaitl. 

Draisaitl, after a 77-point regular season, now has 16 pts in 12 playoff games, including 13 in 6 games in 2nd round.

The story isn't fully written yet, but it sure looks like GMTM chose the wrong guy, and it's fair to criticize him for it.

Central scouting ranked them (1) Bennett, (2) Ekblad, (3) Reinhart, (4) Draisatl, so apparently a lot of people were making not only the same mistake with Reinhart, but also with Bennett.

Or Draisatl benefits greatly from playing on a team which went through a much longer rebuild.

Or it's too early to evaluate 20 year olds.

Edited by Eleven

Central scouting ranked them (1) Bennett, (2) Ekblad, (3) Reinhart, (4) Draisatl, so apparently a lot of people were making not only the same mistake with Reinhart, but also with Bennett.

Or Draisatl benefits greatly from playing on a team which went through a much longer rebuild.

Or it's too early to evaluate 20 year olds.

ISS had Reinhart ranked #1 and Draisaitl ranked #6 http://www.isshockey.com/iss-releases-final-rankings-2014-nhl-draft-guide/ 

Draisaitl could prove to be better, but I wouldn't say drafting Reinhart was a mistake. 

But the idea that Reinhart was the consensus best forward doesn't hold much water, just judging from the CS list. It's too early to judge, but at this point I'm glad we have Reinhart rather than Bennett. Would prefer Draisaitl at this stage, but we'll see.

And if you are really that upset:

Sam Bennett: 81games, 13g, 13a, 26pts

Sam Reinhart: 79games, 17g, 30a, 47pts

Considering we could have ended up with Sam Bennett... I am not that upset and I think Reinhart learned a good lesson this year and will be better next season.

The 2014 draft was about the Sams. Draisaitl, at best, was mentioned as a guy who could go higher than expected. But he was never neck and neck with the Sams. Anything else is revisionist history.

And yes, I'd rather have Draisaitl right now.

Sure, it think right now he is playing better then Reinhart. 

Right. Where the player was drafted becomes irrelevant after the draft has passed. What matters is that Reinhart becomes a good player for us. Hindsight is 20/20 and perhaps we'd be in a better spot if Murray had selected Draisaitl, but at this point it's about hoping Sam develops into a quality second-line centre for us.

Much like Draisaitl is doing in Edmonton.

If Reinhart is at center with a competent coach, he'll surprise a lot of people next year. I rally don't ever think he'll be near a point per game player like Draisaitl was this year, but if he ends up as good all-around as O'Reilly, he was still a dynamite pick.

Kane - Reinhart - Okposo

2 puck protectors and shooters, 1 puck distributor and tipper. This needs to happen. Also Reinhart needs to mature this offseason. Draisaitl may end up better but not like we drafted Michael Dal Colle 2nd overall. 

If Reinhart is at center with a competent coach, he'll surprise a lot of people next year. I rally don't ever think he'll be near a point per game player like Draisaitl was this year, but if he ends up as good all-around as O'Reilly, he was still a dynamite pick.

That's looking more and more uncertain 

Right. Where the player was drafted becomes irrelevant after the draft has passed. What matters is that Reinhart becomes a good player for us. Hindsight is 20/20 and perhaps we'd be in a better spot if Murray had selected Draisaitl, but at this point it's about hoping Sam develops into a quality second-line centre for us.

Exactly. I could go back through the last 10 drafts and with the exceptions of Risto and Eichel probably find a player that we could have taken who looks as good as the guy we did take. That hindsight will just drive you nuts. We got a good player in Reinhart and if he is allowed to play his natural position and if he matures, I think he will... be fine.  :flirt:

How? Bylsma would've had him and Girgensons paired as wings on the 3rd or, more likely, 4th line.

How? Bylsma would've had him and Girgensons paired as wings on the 3rd or, more likely, 4th line.

Yeah if anyone thinks Leon would have put up those numbers in Buffalo under Byslma, they're bananas. Similarly, imagine Reinhart in Edmonton right now. He'd be killing it

Yeah if anyone thinks Leon would have put up those numbers in Buffalo under Byslma, they're bananas. Similarly, imagine Reinhart in Edmonton right now. He'd be killing it

Should clarify: I meant we'd be in a better spot in that we'd apparently have the better player. Not that we'd have necessarily seen a significant, immediate uptick in the standings.

If only we could get Reinhart to play on the same line with not just a great talent, but a generational talent.

Should clarify: I meant we'd be in a better spot in that we'd apparently have the better player. Not that we'd have necessarily seen a significant, immediate uptick in the standings.

Fair enough. But it rolls back to a chicken & egg-ish question. Was Draisaitl better than Reinhart to date because he IS better or because he got McLellan & McClavicle? Or is it somewhere in between, I.e. he's slightly better but the better situation makes him head & shoulders better?

If only we could get Reinhart to play on the same line with not just a great talent, but a generational talent.

Oilers people in the know are saying that yesterday was Draisaitl's coming out party at centre, the focal point of his own line. We'll see if it holds up.

Oilers people in the know are saying that yesterday was Draisaitl's coming out party at centre, the focal point of his own line. We'll see if it holds up.

Remember that time Sam got to play center and have his coming out party? Wait n/m Dan Bylsma sucked. 

Fair enough. But it rolls back to a chicken & egg-ish question. Was Draisaitl better than Reinhart to date because he IS better or because he got McLellan & McClavicle? Or is it somewhere in between, I.e. he's slightly better but the better situation makes him head & shoulders better?

Definitely "somewhere in between", at this point. As far as I can guess.

Edited by Thorny

Definitely "somewhere in between", at this point. As far as I can guess.

That's what it looks like, but I'll hold off on the full evaluation until we've seen how they do on their next contracts. Which, courtesy of Bylsma, should see Reinhart playing on a cheaper deal than Draisaitl. So, we've got that going for us. Which is nice. ;)

That's what it looks like, but I'll hold off on the full evaluation until we've seen how they do on their next contracts. Which, courtesy of Bylsma, should see Reinhart playing on a cheaper deal than Draisaitl. So, we've got that going for us. Which is nice. ;)

The valuable silver lining!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.