• Gilman
    • Botterill
    • Brisebois
    • Regier
    • Sabertooth
    • Pegula
    • Someone on SabreSpace
    • Guerin

Maybe not yes men, but if he hires Botterill the trend line with both teams seems to be the hiring of young, unproven guys he can "work with" and wouldn't be expected to rock the HMS Flat Management Structure. No emperors, as Terry once said.

A bit of a straw man. I wouldn't go as far as you're suggesting. The core guys around the team? Yes. I mean, even the president gets to fire the black woman White House usher and replace her with an old, white, rich dude.

Or maybe replace her with someone who didn't make it very clear that she would have preferred serving under Hillary Clinton than Donald Trump.

Maybe not yes men, but if he hires Botterill the trend line with both teams seems to be the hiring of young, unproven guys he can "work with" and wouldn't be expected to rock the HMS Flat Management Structure. No emperors, as Terry once said.

A bit of a straw man. I wouldn't go as far as you're suggesting. The core guys around the team? Yes. I mean, even the president gets to fire the black woman White House usher and replace her with an old, white, rich dude.

I really dislike you know who but what does that have to do with this discussion. There is another area here for that.

Someone with 46 Followers named Sabre Society on Twitter is reporting that it will be Botterill for GM and that Mike Gillis could be named President of Hockey Ops

Interesting.

Don't take this as a defense, but I can't help but laugh at the logic in that writers take on the drafting of Hodgson. Using the tenth pick to take the worst guy in the top ten. Isn't that how it's supposed to work? He couldn't have drafted those better earlier guys because they were already gone.

You better believe as an owner I want people "I can work with". What kind of a business owner wouldn't? I'm beginning to think there is a bit of anti-Pegula sentiments who no matter what he does really doesn't matter.

I don't believe any owner, especially Terry, should be "working with" his GM. #summerreruns

What does Fenton have for credentials that Botterill doesn't? Or is it just the attraction of a personality? Any GM in the league is a yes man if you're talking about answering to an owner. Okay, I'm getting the impression you don't like the owner based on you prefer confronting personality and not just who can build a team and organization. I liked Murray but you need to work with people. Fenton may be a good hire but no one has specifically explained why he's a better pick than Botterill.

But that's exactly what I find wrong with this situation. Pegs is looking past those "who can build a team and organization" and favoring those who show communication, structure, character, etc. I'm not making this up. This is exactly what he said he would be looking for in his next GM. Finding the person who would the best to build a competitive team was not a criteria he publicly voiced.

Why do I like Fenton over Botterill? To start, he has over double the amount of experience as an AGM than Botterill. He hasn't helped build a team by drafting a can't miss generational player, but by continuously stacking his system with talent. And he didn't have to Tank to do it. He isn't first mentioned as a cap person. Whenever we hear about Botterill, he sounds more like an executive rather than a team builder. I couldn't care less if he got an MBA from University of Michigan.

Now, you tell me why you think Botterill is more qualified than Fenton.

You better believe as an owner I want people "I can work with". What kind of a business owner wouldn't? I'm beginning to think there is a bit of anti-Pegula sentiments who no matter what he does really doesn't matter.

As a manager/supervisor/owner/CEO, you better be able to navigate diverse personalities, good or bad, or you will fail. It's that simple.

I don't believe any owner, especially Terry, should be "working with" his GM. #summerreruns

Okay. I didn't say it's all one way but you give me the impression that ownership is under employees. Sorry, when you own the team you're not obligated to have employees you can't work with or dictate to you. Yes, you need to be able to communicate with employees but not be letting them dictate to you. I've been on both sides of this. I respectfully disagree that owners should just go away and have nothing to do with the operation of their business.

Edited by Radar

Okay. I didn't say it's all one way but you give me the impression that ownership is under employees. Sorry, when you own the team you're not obligated to have employees you can't work with or dictate to you. Yes, you need to be able to communicate with employees but not be letting them dictate to you. I've been on both sides of this. I respectfully disagree that owners should just go away and have nothing to do with the operation of their business.

It's not a business. As a history buff, do you think you could go run the Smithsonian?

But that's exactly what I find wrong with this situation. Pegs is looking past those "who can build a team and organization" and favoring those who show communication, structure, character, etc. I'm not making this up. This is exactly what he said he would be looking for in his next GM. Finding the person who would the best to build a competitive team was not a criteria he publicly voiced.

I think you are overlooking context here. His first statement was explicit: that the goal was to win the Stanley Cup.

Communication, character, structure, etc were the necessary ingredients he thought the Sabres were lacking.

Kypreos and Friedman just stated the sense from everyone is that Botterill seems to be a done deal.

Just waiting for official confirmation.

I have the feeling as the years progress, that the Pegulas will make the ever meddling Ralph Wilson Jr. seem like Mr. "Hands Off" by comparison.  With these people, an employee can be dynamite one day, 4 or 5 months later they're handing out pink slips.

They're volatile, impulsive, meddling owners, who don't have a good plan or strategy.  

They also don't take much responsibility  and aren't terribly honest-  I sincerely doubt Pegula was as distanced from the Bylsma hire as he tried to allude,  but  he basically put it all on Murray.     

I have the feeling as the years progress, that the Pegulas will make the ever meddling Ralph Wilson Jr. seem like Mr. "Hands Off" by comparison.  With these people, an employee can be dynamite one day, 4 or 5 months later they're handing out pink slips.

They're volatile, impulsive, meddling owners, who don't have a good plan or strategy.  

They also don't take much responsibility  and aren't terribly honest-  I sincerely doubt Pegula was as distanced from the Bylsma hire as he tried to allude,  but  he basically put it all on Murray.     

I disagree with the meddling part, there really no clear sign any meddling is going on, they inherited GM Doug Whaley and that staff, Pegula also admitted to not being involved enough with the last signing of GM Tim Murray for the Sabres when he was hired so he is trying to right both ships imo and I see nothing wrong with that.

I'd be very happy with Botterill, but I'm not onboard with Tocchet.    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-expected-name-jason-botterill-next-general-manager/

Botterill has paid his dues over the last decade in the Pens front office and I think he can potentially do a very good job as GM.

However if character is a key component to the GM and HC hiring, Tocchet should be off the list.  His gambling related conviction in 2007 should eliminate him from being a serious candidate for the job.http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2882460

Yes it was a decade ago and yes he was reinstated by Bettman.  Still, I don't want him leading our kids.  Frankly, if Botterill wants to hire Tocchet, that should disqualify him as well. In addition, Tocchet records as an HC isn't very good.  There are other better candidates out there.  I'd start with Housley!

Edited by GASabresFan

Why do I like Fenton over Botterill? To start, he has over double the amount of experience as an AGM than Botterill. He hasn't helped build a team by drafting a can't miss generational player, but by continuously stacking his system with talent. And he didn't have to Tank to do it. He isn't first mentioned as a cap person. Whenever we hear about Botterill, he sounds more like an executive rather than a team builder. I couldn't care less if he got an MBA from University of Michigan.

Now, you tell me why you think Botterill is more qualified than Fenton.

As a manager/supervisor/owner/CEO, you better be able to navigate diverse personalities, good or bad, or you will fail. It's that simple.

really this post says it all...absolutely correct when you look at how Pittsburg and Nashville have put together their teams.Pittsburg drafted high after tanking and got crosby, Malkin, and Fleury which sure helped. meanwhile, nashville has quietly gone about their business putting together a great team built around the whole team and their structure, not a few players while the rest are inter-changable (like Pittsburg). If Fenton could do for us what he has helped do in Nashville I think we'd all be pleased for sure

really this post says it all...absolutely correct when you look at how Pittsburg and Nashville have put together their teams.Pittsburg drafted high after tanking and got crosby, Malkin, and Fleury which sure helped. meanwhile, nashville has quietly gone about their business putting together a great team built around the whole team and their structure, not a few players while the rest are inter-changable (like Pittsburg). If Fenton could do for us what he has helped do in Nashville I think we'd all be pleased for sure

While I'm not suggesting that Fenton is not qualified in my previous post I just don't see a big difference going with Botterill. I mean it's not his fault Pittsburg has Crosby or Malkin. Sabres now ha e Eichel,O'Rielly and Okposo. What we need is someone who can fit pieces around those players. Frankly, I am on board with Botterill or Fenton. I just don't see the sense in criticizing or putting one down because we favor the other. I can't seriously question either one being hired.

I'd be very happy with Botterill, but I'm not onboard with Tocchet.    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sabres-expected-name-jason-botterill-next-general-manager/

Botterill has paid his dues over the last decade in the Pens front office and I think he can potentially do a very good job as GM.

However if character is a key component to the GM and HC hiring, Tocchet should be off the list.  His gambling related conviction in 2007 should eliminate him from being a serious candidate for the job.http://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=2882460

Yes it was a decade ago and yes he was reinstated by Bettman.  Still, I don't want him leading our kids.  Frankly, if Botterill wants to hire Tocchet, that should disqualify him as well. In addition, Tocchet records as an HC isn't very good.  There are other better candidates out there.  I'd start with Housley!

Yeah just read that to, wasn't even very interested in Tocchet before, 0% interest in him now.

I want nothing to do with him as a head coach. What are we going to be, Pittsburgh​ Lite? I don't want to imitate what's working now, I want to innovate to where the game will be.

“(Sabres owner) Terry Pegula is a long-time admirer of the blueprint that has come out of Pittsburgh,” Kypreos said. “Of course Botteril has been a big part of that.” Welp, all we're missing now is a Mario Lemieux as owner and a generational superstar.

Here's the thing. Character might be Pegula's buzzword but not Botterill's. Who's hiring the coach? It better damn well be your GM. Then again, there are rumblings Pegula might hire a hockey president after hiring Botterill. If so, :unsure: .

This is just a similar pattern with a new general manager.  However it doesn't mean anything Tocchet was a solid NHL player, but I really don't see him being a strong coaching candidate.  I'd much rather go in a completely different direction.  So I agree with what most will say.  Getting Botterill is a nice get, as he checks off a few boxes like Dubas, Chyka and the new NHL prototype GM.   Implementing an old style NHL coach doesn't seem to make much sense outside of communication purposes.