2017 Free Agent Frenzy

WildCard

This is why we should sign Jack to a three-year $20-million bridge deal now, then and eight-year $80-million extension before he gets to UFA

Nah. Don't jerk him around w/ a bridge.

Front load that 2026 contract to whatever extent the next CBA allows so that 2031's version of the Yotes can take the contract off your hands and have $7MM/yr of already paid out money counting towards the cap. Sabres get him through ~34 years old & then he's cap relief for Seattle. ;)

Agreed--defensemen usually age better than forwards. And he's such a smooth skater, I think he'll be fine. Still don't want to get near the $7M+ some thing he'll get.

Can segue this into Eichel's contract....if he gets 8 years, he'll be up for a new deal at 29. That's a horrible age for a forward contract, from the team perspective. We'll almost certainly be paying for past performance that future performance will not match for the majority of the deal.

Atleast dudacek will be happy :P

Edited by Derrico

Pointers on what? Vanek face? Gambling? Losing?

This made me laugh.

The appeal for me with Vanek is he's cheap, he's still got plenty in the tank, and he's a much smarter player than Kane. I think Jack needs someone to connect with who is heady. Kane isn't. 

I can't deny this, either. Who doesn't like a good redemption story?

And I saw Vanek's quotes re Mittlestadt - a fellow Gopher to be. That could be good, too, somehow.

The new CBA signed after a two year lockout should have some compliance buyouts

But like 1 compliance buyout every 3 years or something. I think teams that can't manage the cap and suck helps make the offseason more interesting and I would hate to see everyone just be able to spend their problems away. 

This from Chad Dominicis

Not saying it's 100% going to happen but don't be surprised if Brian Boyle ends up with the #Sabres. Fits the bottom six need at forward

Can Boyle skate and play at a 3rd line level on the 4th line?

Immediate upgrade on the bottom 6.    We've talked about improving the bottom 6... well, at least I have anyway...  in order for this team to take the next step, they need to cut down on shot attempts against.   They need better defensive minded buys on the bottom 6 who know how to defend in their own end, block shots, take away passing lanes, generate turnovers.    The existing group are top 6 leftovers from the tank years.   A guy like Boyle would be perfect to offload ROR minutes on the PK, defensive zone draws, late game situational stuff, etc...    

Immediate upgrade on the bottom 6.    We've talked about improving the bottom 6... well, at least I have anyway...  in order for this team to take the next step, they need to cut down on shot attempts against.   They need better defensive minded buys on the bottom 6 who know how to defend in their own end, block shots, take away passing lanes, generate turnovers.    The existing group are top 6 leftovers from the tank years.   A guy like Boyle would be perfect to offload ROR minutes on the PK, defensive zone draws, late game situational stuff, etc...    

Yeah, Larsson, Foligno, Girgensons, Carrier, and young guys from Rochester are such a bad bottom 6 and were the reason that the Sabres didn't take the next step.

Oh wait, that's dumb. Your boys Moulson and Ennis were the worst bottom 6ers on the team by far.

They need better defensive minded buys on the bottom 6 who know how to defend in their own end, block shots, take away passing lanes, generate turnovers.    The existing group are top 6 leftovers from the tank years. A guy like Boyle would be perfect to offload ROR minutes on the PK, defensive zone draws, late game situational stuff, etc...    

Right on - this especially.

I have no interest in Bonino because of cost. I bet he gets 3.5 or more a year and honestly, I think Larsson if healthy can basically do what he can for less. 

Agree on not overpaying for Bonino...but Larsson cannot do what Bonino does. 

The fallacy that the Larsson -Foligno-Gionta line was some sort of fantastic 3rd line seems to carry on forever. Gionta was probably an OK 3rd line guy last year but Larsson and Foligno are 4th liners on a good playoff team.

Career stats:

Bonino 407 NHL games at 0.46 ppg. He has been in 74 playoff games, scoring at a 0.53 ppg clip. Was a 0.97 ppg guy in the AHL.

Larsson 178 NHL games at 0.27 ppg. He was at 0.74 ppg in the AHL.

Larsson at the right price on the 4th line vs.  Bonino at the right price on the 3rd line are two different entities. 3rd line has to score. 

I think with this weak FA crop just about nobody will be available at "the right price" as it will be overbid due to lack of quality. 

Edited by Sakman

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.