Sean Thorton on Today's NHL

WildCard

So Sean Thornton got pretty upset on an Emelin hit last night, and had this to say about him and the league. It reminds me of why fighting in the league is still necessary

To go with it, Kris Draper wrote a Player's Tribune article about the Lemieux hit he suffered and the Avs-Wings rivalry. Really good stuff. Just another reminder of why fighting is a necessary part of this league

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/kris-draper-red-wings-avalanche-march-97/

post-4071-0-46809300-1490975865_thumb.jpg

Get rid of the instigator penalty and the problem works itself out.

I believe this also.

I also believe the game has changed enough that the John Scotts of the NHL are gone. That's to say a 4-5 minutes a game of protection services only type player are things of the past. Need to roll 4 productive lines just to get a team good enough to make the playoffs.

Get rid of the instigator penalty and the problem works itself out.

yep

Agreed, still pot calling kettle black.

I don't know; I don't see Thornton as a cheap-shot guy who turtles when confronted.  I do wonder what he thinks of his former teammate Marchand, though.

So Sean Thornton got pretty upset on an Emelin hit last night, and had this to say about him and the league. It reminds me of why fighting in the league is still necessary

To go with it, Kris Draper wrote a Player's Tribune article about the Lemieux hit he suffered and the Avs-Wings rivalry. Really good stuff. Just another reminder of why fighting is a necessary part of this league

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/kris-draper-red-wings-avalanche-march-97/

Thornton is a but Emelin is a cheap bastard

Sad to say, but John Scott pounding the tar out of Thornton easily ranks among my top 10 favourite on-ice moments of the past five years.

Whole heartily agree.

But there is a lot of back story as to why it was so great.

Thornton is the leagues leading douche.  The Miller incident. The soft core. John is a love-able big guy. We got nothing else to hang our hat on during this era (we haven't been good in a while, but hell, at least we're tough!).

A big hit and a fight where the pinnacles of that week's Sabre performance during our John Scott days. He had the greatest week of them all...

Unless Matt Ellis scoring tripped your trigger.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Sad to say, but John Scott pounding the tar out of Thornton easily ranks among my top 10 favourite on-ice moments of the past five years.

Why would you be sad to say that?

I have a lot of favorite John Scott moments, like him running Eriksson at center ice, subsequently ending his own Buffalo career.

Felt bad for Eriksson, nobody wants to see skill players hurt, but the Bruins had absolutely no problem with Lucic running Miller, in what was probably the most obvious piece of headhunting I ever say, so obviously they shouldn't be surprised if their own guys need to keep their heads up.

To hell with the instigator, and I'd take three John Scotts on each team, if it meant fewer cheapshot-artists in the sport.

I am in no way saying I like Thorton or anything but he is right and he always shows up and answers the bell even when he is against bigger guys. He is all heart which in itself is a wonderful thing. what we are seeing now is bush-league stuff like these nasty slashes players are constantly using (see Cindy's nice slash on Methot) and other cheap crap that would have caused a brawl a few years ago now goes unchallenged nor penalized. When there is nothing to stop the player from doing this crap, they will go ahead and do it as we are seeing. there are no enforcers anymore so we see more and more players pushing the limits and doing stuff we'd never have seen a few years back    

Even during the heyday of enforcers there were lots of rats and cheap shot artists around.  Claude Lemeiux, Ulf Samuelsson, Rich Pilon, Chris Chelios, Bobby Clarke, Dale Hunter, Darcy Tucker, Mark Messier, Kenny Linesman, shall I go on?.....  And a large portion of the so called enforcers were 1st class cheap shot artists themselves, I'm looking at you Chris Neil, Brian Marchment, Dave Brown, Marty McSorley, Chris Simon, and yes even our own beloved Brad May.

Many of those names were pre-instigator penalty and a bunch straddled it.  There is no correlation between cheap shots and that extra 2 and a game. 

Even during the heyday of enforcers there were lots of rats and cheap shot artists around. Claude Lemeiux, Ulf Samuelsson, Rich Pilon, Chris Chelios, Bobby Clarke, Dale Hunter, Darcy Tucker, Mark Messier, Kenny Linesman, shall I go on?..... And a large portion of the so called enforcers were 1st class cheap shot artists themselves, I'm looking at you Chris Neil, Brian Marchment, Dave Brown, Marty McSorley, Chris Simon, and yes even our own beloved Brad May.

Many of those names were pre-instigator penalty and a bunch straddled it. There is no correlation between cheap shots and that extra 2 and a game.

Thaaaaaaaaaank you! :beer:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.