GDT: Panthers at Sabres 7PM 3-27-17 MSG

spndnchz

From Sabres site:

The Buffalo Sabres will take on the Florida Panthers tonight as captain Brian Gionta is set to become the 312th player in NHL history to skate in his 1,000th NHL game.

If you're coming to the game, make sure you're in your seats early for a special pregame ceremony. Faceoff is slated for just after 7 p.m. and we'll also be on the air starting at 6:30 on MSG with the Tops Game Night pregame show. 

Here's what you need to know.

#G1000NTA 

Gionta made his NHL debut on Dec. 30, 2001 with the New Jersey Devils. He won the Stanley Cup in his rookie year and has gone on captain both the Montreal Canadiens and the Sabres.

Our PR team compiled this little nuggets that we hope you find just as interesting as we do:

Gionta will also become the 43rd American player to reach the milestone and will be the 10th player to appear in his 1,000th game as a member of the Sabres.

Other players to appear in their 1,000th NHL game as a member of the Sabres:

Dick Duff - March 7, 1971 vs. Toronto
Gilbert Perreault - Jan. 29, 1984 vs. Pittsburgh
Craig Ramsay - Oct. 28, 1984 vs Calgary
Don Lever - Jan. 27, 1986 at Montreal
Phil Russell - March 12, 1986 at Chicago
Dale Hawerchuk   Feb. 4, 1995 at Florida
Charlie Huddy - March 8, 1996 at Anaheim
James Patrick - Dec. 4, 1999 vs. NY Rangers
Mike Grier - Nov. 3, 2010 vs. Boston

Gionta's Career Breakdown

Games played for New Jersey - 473 (2001-02 to 2008-09)
Games played for Montreal - 303 (2009-10 to 2013-14)
Games played for Buffalo - 224* (2014-15 to Present)
1st NHL Game - 12/30/2001 at Edmonton (with New Jersey)
500th NHL Game - 1/14/2010 vs. Dallas (with Montreal)
1,000th NHL Game - 3/27/2017 vs. Florida* (with Buffalo)

Facts from the day of Gionta's first NHL game (Dec. 30, 2001)

No. 1 Song: "How You Remind Me" by Nickelback
No. 1 Album: "Weathered" by Creed
No. 1 Movie: "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"
Top-Selling Holiday Toy: Bratz Dolls
NFL Results: Alex Van Pelt led the Buffalo Bills to a 14-9 win over Vinny Testaverde and the New York Jets.

The first 12,000 fans in attendance tonight will receive one of these rally towels. Twelve of those fans will find that their towel has been autographed by Gionta.

As Dark said, I'm rejuvenated as a fan following that big win and meetup. 

However, after looking at the standings.....Meh.

Going to this one. Got free suite tickets from my buddy. Making it 3 games in 3 days for me

.... They were looking a bit lower ;)

Oh, and give me a win. I don't even want to be at the top of this draft.

I'm not sure I like knowing what you guys look like. It was way easier when I could imagine I was talking to a bunch of 400 lb losers eating cheetos and mountain dew in their parent's basement. :bag:

I'm not sure I like knowing what you guys look like. It was way easier when I could imagine I was talking to a bunch of 400 lb losers eating cheetos and mountain dew in their parent's basement. :bag:

My first thought of seeing the group photo posted in the last GDT was "there's a lot less hefty neckbearded types here than I expected."

Edited by mustacheofgod

Going to be a great night.  Gionta deserves this and it's great that it's happening in Buffalo.  For all intents and purposes he's a local guy.

Shouldn't be too many Panthers fans in attendance. I mean, imagine that, you live close enough to Buffalo and you are a Panthers fan.  You are definitely doing it wrong.  

Go Sabres.

I'm sure half the board pictured me as the creepy Spanish avatar dude I had when I lost the bet.

I have so many questions for the crazy person who put this together.

Yeah. I'm not sure where to start. I'm sure if you put together any lowlights from a defenseman who has played that long it's gonna be ugly but man some of those were hysterically bad. Especially where he got beat 3 times on the same play. Who the hell has access to that many games from that long ago.

I'm sure half the board pictured me as the creepy Spanish avatar dude I had when I lost the bet.

Thankfully those if us who closely resemble what everyone thinks we should look like shied away from the Meetup.

Would still like an old timers Meetup of PA, DeLuca, Ghost, ToddKaz, Labatt, BTP, Callaway, Taro and myself. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few (cuz I'm old) but the one thing I noticed from the pic was the overwhelming youth outside of the bookend geriatrics.

Yeah. I'm not sure where to start. I'm sure if you put together any lowlights from a defenseman who has played that long it's gonna be ugly but man some of those were hysterically bad. Especially where he got beat 3 times on the same play. Who the hell has access to that many games from that long ago.

Thankfully those if us who closely resemble what everyone thinks we should look like shied away from the Meetup.

Would still like an old timers Meetup of PA, DeLuca, Ghost, ToddKaz, Labatt, BTP, Callaway, Taro and myself. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few (cuz I'm old) but the one thing I noticed from the pic was the overwhelming youth outside of the bookend geriatrics.

Access to the highlights is my question too. Or did this person save them up in real time over the years? Great video but a touch creepy.

I think the meetup skewed considerably younger than the board itself. I always think of it as a bunch of fans who cut their teeth mainly in the mid to late 70s, with a few kids sprinkled in to keep us honest.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.