GDT: Panthers at Sabres 7PM 3-27-17 MSG

spndnchz

It's really hard for me to say for sure DD is doing the turtle or our guys run out of gas. All I see is people not trying.

I honestly don't know which, if true, is worse.  The Evander Kane "we stopped trying to score goals" quote of a few weeks ago leads me to believe the former, but that's just my interpretation.  

Of course Dan is back. If they get 6 of the remaining 12 available points they finish with 82, one more than last year, a.k.a. improvement. Then throw in Jack's injury at the start of the season and you can argue bad luck cost you the playoffs.

You would have hated the third.

One can. Except when one looks at the actual results throughout the season & the timing of the really bad stretch that broke the camel's back, it wasn't bad luck; it was bad coaching. The team was completely unprepared to compete coming out of the break. That is on the coach. Since Eichel has been healthy (early February most likely) the team doesn't show marked improvement in results. Again, it is on the coaching.

Randy showed roughly 700 videos demonstrating how the issue is the coaching. A casual observer can say it's injuries or luck. Murray is NOT a casual observer. If Dan Bylsma is back next year, my opinion of Murray takes a huge hit.

Not really. I would rather penalty shots be awarded when warranted but not as an attempt to artificially inflate offense. Old school I guess.

I suppose we'd get hung up on the word warranted. But if you're merely trying to restore a scoring chance, there should be wayyyy more penalty shots.

Poor lad, you do realize DD will be back to start next year? It is the high percentage play for Murray. Especially if DD was more of the owner's choosing than his.

I think the last point is the crux. Murray and Pegula are two old-school guys. They'll be loathe to fire a coach because the players have their panties in a wad. That, and Terry really doesn't want to fire another coach after two seasons.

It's really hard for me to say for sure DD is doing the turtle or our guys run out of gas. All I see is people not trying.

I don't know that I'd call it a turtle, to be honest.  Did they play more conservatively?  Yes.  But to me it seemed more like keeping an extra guy back to ensure they didn't allow an odd man rush, and for the most part they were successful.  They still had some offensive zone time, but didn't work as hard to sustain it (to make sure they had defensive coverage).  The last two games I don't think were turtle mode or Alamo mode like we've seen in the past.  It was protecting a lead. 

TM has alot of holes to fill this offseason without needing to fill a HC slot.  If he acquires players that address those holesand the team stumbles out of the gate, his hand is stronger to replace the coach with one of his own choosing. It workedin Columbus.  On the other hand, TB was rife with grumbling about Cooper, yet even after they mailed it in at the deadline, the team picked up steam. From TMs pov it has to be a low priority compared to improving the roster.

TM has alot of holes to fill this offseason without needing to fill a HC slot. If he acquires players that address those holesand the team stumbles out of the gate, his hand is stronger to replace the coach with one of his own choosing. It workedin Columbus. On the other hand, TB was rife with grumbling about Cooper, yet even after they mailed it in at the deadline, the team picked up steam. From TMs pov it has to be a low priority compared to improving the roster.

And what if the coach of his own choosing isn't available in the middle of the season? What if we're slow out of the gate, Bylsma is fired, and we're saddled with Terry Murray for 60 games? It's flushing the season down the toilet. Or worse: the roster is improved enough to make the playoffs with Bylsma, and that itself is enough to buy him yet another season. Barf. This is the perfect offseason to make a coaching change.

And what if the coach of his own choosing isn't available in the middle of the season? What if we're slow out of the gate, Bylsma is fired, and we're saddled with Terry Murray for 60 games? It's flushing the season down the toilet. Or worse: the roster is improved enough to make the playoffs with Bylsma, and that itself is enough to buy him yet another season. Barf. This is the perfect offseason to make a coaching change.

From your perspective or any other fan's perspective I agree.  But if your a TM, I  could see where it isn't as high a priority.  On the other hand , if your ideal candidate ala Quenneville falls into your lap then sure make a move.  A strong finish almost assures DB is here to start the season unless the Q scenario unfolds.  But to make a change for change's sake would be low on the list, or lower than roster improvement.  

Btw Murray was bood when he came out for Giontas ceremony. He gave him his gift and left quickly afterwards

I wondered about the reaction, but I couldn't really hear booing or cheering or anything. This is on the video clip on sabres.com, so it might have been edited out.

Heh. Anyone feel like doing some legwork? I'm legitimately curious how often the team with the best PP in the league misses the playoffs. Seems like it'd be a rare thing, but I honestly don't know.

How about how 5-on-5 goals vary with PP effectiveness, too? The Sabres PP has been pretty good all season, I think. Even strength not so much. I can't believe it's common that teams with terrible even strength offense are #1 in PP.

Falk just eliminates opponents along the boards.  Very effective.

If he sticks, can we call him "Columbo"?

My wife just laughed at Rob Ray's use of "atoll"

If he sticks, can we call him "Coral"?

Edited by MattPie

Btw Murray was bood when he came out for Giontas ceremony. He gave him his gift and left quickly afterwards

Hmm that might help the ant DD cause.

Also, having two big decent skating D unless you can find a Risto clone in the draft, I really think helps Lehner. ( Falk and Austin) Not as much BS in front of the net.

If winning a bunch of meaningless games at the end of the season after utterly choking it away during its most important stretch, with all the other stuff we've talked about, saves Bylsma for next season, then we wouldn't have been okay even if he was fired, because of what that says about Tim Murray and his ability to evaluate, well, anything.

I don't know that I'd call it a turtle, to be honest.  Did they play more conservatively?  Yes.  But to me it seemed more like keeping an extra guy back to ensure they didn't allow an odd man rush, and for the most part they were successful.  They still had some offensive zone time, but didn't work as hard to sustain it (to make sure they had defensive coverage).  The last two games I don't think were turtle mode or Alamo mode like we've seen in the past.  It was protecting a lead. 

I like Alamo mode. :P

P152142313111019_1.jpg

One can. Except when one looks at the actual results throughout the season & the timing of the really bad stretch that broke the camel's back, it wasn't bad luck; it was bad coaching. The team was completely unprepared to compete coming out of the break. That is on the coach. Since Eichel has been healthy (early February most likely) the team doesn't show marked improvement in results. Again, it is on the coaching.

Randy showed roughly 700 videos demonstrating how the issue is the coaching. A casual observer can say it's injuries or luck. Murray is NOT a casual observer. If Dan Bylsma is back next year, my opinion of Murray takes a huge hit.

Not arguing with you. Just saying they have a reasonable excuse to stay the course.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

If winning a bunch of meaningless games at the end of the season after utterly choking it away during its most important stretch, with all the other stuff we've talked about, saves Bylsma for next season, then we wouldn't have been okay even if he was fired, because of what that says about Tim Murray and his ability to evaluate, well, anything.

This is completely dependent on TM being the one who hired DB and having the authority to fire him. If Pegula is really the decision maker on that then it doesn't really tell us anything about TM.

Edited by Drunkard

Ohhhh, that's why you missed my Columbo joke the other game (one more question). Google is your friend! (And should have been my friend, because I screwed up the quote.)

Still not following.

DOH.  Peter Falk.  I just never made the connection between the actor and the player.

From your perspective or any other fan's perspective I agree. But if your a TM, I could see where it isn't as high a priority. On the other hand , if your ideal candidate ala Quenneville falls into your lap then sure make a move. A strong finish almost assures DB is here to start the season unless the Q scenario unfolds. But to make a change for change's sake would be low on the list, or lower than roster improvement.

A lot depends on what we don't know. For instance, what do the players really think of him? If the Pittsburgh stars couldn't wait to get rid of him, and our stars don't like him...how much of this is around the league? Is it an impediment to getting players to come here? And how secure is Murray? Hitching his wagon to Bylsma could actually be worse for his job security if he isn't getting pressure from above to give him another year.

A lot depends on what we don't know. For instance, what do the players really think of him? If the Pittsburgh stars couldn't wait to get rid of him, and our stars don't like him...how much of this is around the league? Is it an impediment to getting players to come here? And how secure is Murray? Hitching his wagon to Bylsma could actually be worse for his job security if he isn't getting pressure from above to give him another year.

And the biggest unknown...is he TMs hire.  The rest is irrelevant if he isn't. 

His famous line from that series was, "Just one more thing." Not one more question.

He changed it up a bit as I recall, but the idea was the same.  Ask the guilty person easy questions, let them get comfortable.  Wrap up the questions, they get even more comfortable, then zing 'em at the end and catch 'em off guard.

Do we need to resurrect the 'over the hill' thread for the slow guys?  :P

Didn't I start that thread?

He changed it up a bit as I recall, but the idea was the same. Ask the guilty person easy questions, let them get comfortable. Wrap up the questions, they get even more comfortable, then zing 'em at the end and catch 'em off guard.

Didn't I start that thread?

How am I supposed to remember that, I was put in the geriatric group so my memory ain't so good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.