Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

No, you don't understand- we needed to trade him, to get the extra draft picks... so we can move up in the draft next year, and draft an elite receiver like him? Makes sense, right?

On another note, when we have our "franchise QB," this awesome defense we have now will be gone, right?

Well, K. Williams, and Dareus will likely be gone next season so they'll need to draft DT with a high pick to keep that production.    And probably Lorenzo Alexander, but they need to rebuild the LB corps anyway.     The secondary is set for a few years, still need depth all around tho.    Poyer and Hyde are a nice tandem, each 26 years old, probably have 5 good years left.   Could use another starting CB as well.     Hughes still has about 3 good years left.        

Does anyone know what actually happened on that unsportsmanlike penalty? A 15 yard play is usually a big deal and deserves a replay.

The ref apparently ran in into TT and Matthews standing too close to the sideline and got knocked down because he forgot his vagesil... threw a coronary and called the penalty.

3.  Defense:  You want bend don't break?  Damn, you've got it.

4.  Zay, CATCH THE ###### BALL IT HIT YOU IN THE HANDS.

I'll say the D was significantly better than bend don't break. Cam looked downright beleaguered. But maybe I just have a more negative connotation to the phrase in mind than you do.

As for Zay's opportunity, that's really on Taylor more than Zay. That route was clearly designed to go toward the sideline ("corner," is what I read), and Taylor misthrew it. Zay did well to adjust, and almost made a spectacular catch.

You know who probably catches that ball? 

I thought the same thing. When pundit types talk about "body control," that's the sort of thing they're referring to. The ability to twist, contort, adjust the body and execute a very difficult fine motor skill, in the midst of going full speed (gross motor), is what separates the good from the great. Remember Watkins on that mis-thrown ball in Detroit? Ridiculous.

There was a lot to like about that game. Offense was awful but defense has looked very good. I am excited to see how good they can be when they actually have 3 LB's that can play the system.

The offense was awful but they win that game if Jones runs the right route. It's on him to see that the safety was late and he should have turned it up. TT read that and threw what would have been a TD. The play was a great design, if the corner goes to Jones, Taylor hits other WR for first down.

Time management wasn't great but is being over blown. With his attention to detail he will get better.

I'm going to give credit where it's due: McDermott has talked an awful lot about having certain kinds of players and playing a certain kind of way. I felt like the performance yesterday matched up with the talk. If McDermott does actually succeed in getting everyone on the proverbial same page, and pulling in the same direction, the Bills will likely be a playoff team in the near term, with or without a franchise QB at the helm.

However, I listened to the post-game and did not hear him praise God. What gives? "For I shall bless the Lord at all times, and his praise shall ever be on my tongue." 

Does anyone know what actually happened on that unsportsmanlike penalty? A 15 yard play is usually a big deal and deserves a replay.

McDermott said in the post-game conference that the side judge ran into a coach -- he didn't specify which one. It appeared that it was one of those situations where the side judge was trucking it to follow a play and, without seeing what was coming, BOOM just got leveled by a coach who had encroached and was standing in his way. The penalty was well deserved, and I don't blame the referee for being pissed -- looked like he was shut down for the day with a concussion.

We should either play Peterman or sign Kapernick.  Basically anything would be better than watching whatever Tyrod did yesterday, barffest. 

If there had been any doubt for me about whether he could be a capable NFL starter going forward (and I'm not sure I had any real doubts), it vanished once I watched him purposelessly scramble around (TWICE) for 3 or 4 yards in the final 60 seconds, rather than chuck the ball out of bounds and line up for the next play. The guy's been playing a while. If he can't understand what needed to happen in that situation, then he never really will.

Maybe this is a case in point for Bills fans lowered expectations, but I will enjoy watching games - even if we lose - if the defense consistently plays that well

Given a choice - what sort of team would we rather watch?  

A)  A dreadful offense amazingly kept in it by a stellar defense,  or  

B) a high power high scoring offense paired with a mediocre defense?  

Given that the past 18 seasons of the post-season drought have been predominantly choice A,  I'd sure like to see B for once.  

It hurts just a little bit more to see the Broncos hang 35 (42 with the pick-6) on Dallas. The Broncos are using a bargain bin QB, but they are getting it done.

Given that the past 18 seasons of the post-season drought have been predominantly choice A,  I'd sure like to see B for once.  

Bring back Fitz and Chan Gailey?

:ph34r:

Same here. I'm sick of watching putrid offenses. Last year was way more fun to watch because the offense actually produced. That's just one of the reasons I didn't care for the McDermott hire. I want an offensive minded head coach. We've had decent defenses for the majority of the last 20 years and it hasn't helped us make the playoffs at all.

It hurts just a little bit more to see the Broncos hang 35 (42 with the pick-6) on Dallas. The Broncos are using a bargain bin QB, but they are getting it done.

How about a good version of those 2? Especially if we plan to pin the hopes and dreams of the franchise on some new QB. Wouldn't it be nice is he had an offensive minded coach to help him learn and become a productive QB?

Edited by Drunkard

That's essentially the argument for tanking or at the very least doing everything you can to get the next great QB in a league that relies heavily on the QB. You can get away with having a mediocre defense if your offense can get it done most of the time. But you can have the best defense in the world and it could amount to nothing if you have no offense whatsoever. You can't rely on the defense to get you on the scoreboard. 

If there had been any doubt for me about whether he could be a capable NFL starter going forward (and I'm not sure I had any real doubts), it vanished once I watched him purposelessly scramble around (TWICE) for 3 or 4 yards in the final 60 seconds, rather than chuck the ball out of bounds and line up for the next play. The guy's been playing a while. If he can't understand what needed to happen in that situation, then he never really will.

Taylor isn't all that smart of a QB;   I feel he runs too often - rather than focusing on passing, which should be the number one job for a QB after all.  He's just better at protecting the ball and avoiding stupid mistakes than EJ Manuel was.    

Surprised at some of the anger towards the Bills performance yesterday. 

Well, I'm not surprised considering what has been happening since the turn of the century.

But, the Bills decision makers have been signaling their investment towards the future rather than the present for a while now. Look no further than the trades they pulled off this offseason.

I decided before this season that I would match my attitude towards the team with the amount the front office is investing in them this year. This lead me to being numb towards the outcome yesterday afternoon. 

For once in my lifetime, a Bills loss can't hurt me. I have my eyes set directly on next year's QB class. That's the mission right now and everything else takes a back seat. Maybe that's a sad way to follow a team but I'm placing my chips on future success, just like team management is. 

You know, I'll never forget the day that Gailey was named HC.    It was incredibly underwhelming to say the least, after some names that had been floated for being in contention.

That same afternoon, I was listening to the Jim Rome Show while driving for work -  Jim Rome PANNED the choice.   He said "Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting the Buffalo Bills new head coach, CHANNNN GAILEEEYYYYYY!!!!"  

And the sound guy immediately cued that losing sound effect from the Price Is Right

https://youtu.be/_asNhzXq72w

I truly LOL'd!    It would be hard for the old Bills ownership, management, and front office to fail more if they tried. 

You know, I'll never forget the day that Gailey was named HC.    It was incredibly underwhelming to say the least, after some names that had been floated for being in contention.

That same afternoon, I was listening to the Jim Rome Show while driving for work -  Jim Rome PANNED the choice.   He said "Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting the Buffalo Bills new head coach, CHANNNN GAILEEEYYYYYY!!!!"  

And the sound guy immediately cued that losing sound effect from the Price Is Right

https://youtu.be/_asNhzXq72w

I truly LOL'd!    It would be hard for the old Bills ownership, management, and front office to fail more if they tried. 

I was listening to the exact same broadcast. And I never tune in- I was on the QEW, driving to Toronto at the time...

I'll say the D was significantly better than bend don't break. Cam looked downright beleaguered. But maybe I just have a more negative connotation to the phrase in mind than you do.

I"m referring to the fact that they let them within touchdown range three (four?) times and only gave up three field goals.

I"m referring to the fact that they let them within touchdown range three (four?) times and only gave up three field goals.

Quite so.

Whenever I hear "bend don't break," I think of a D that is also quite ineffectual. Which that unit was not.

Otoh, to your point, they didn't take the ball away either. That's also in-line with "bend don't break."

Bulldog? Is that you? It's the only other person I've heard (read?) use it. I've often wondereded why chose it over ineffective.

Ha! no. Although, I have met the man and, while I have a hard time with Schopp, I am also a fan of his radio talk.

As for the word choice, I tend to think of ineffectual as being more in league with lame and listless. "Ineffective" doesn't have quite the same stank to it.