Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Cut anyone of Jones, Banyard, or Tolbert. None of them are better than J. Williams who was a talented back that fell to the 5th because of injury. I liked what I saw from Williams this preseason and he would be the best option to backup McCoy if this team was constructed properly. Again, if J. Williams isn't "that good", WTF is 32 year old fullback/cheerleader Tolbert doing here?

As to what has Tolbert done? He is buddies with Mcdermott from Carolina. 

That sort of stuff is, frankly, not up to snuff with the level of analysis you can otherwise bring and often do.

It's evident that Tolbert and Williams were apples and oranges. Or maybe pumpkins and acorn squashes, if you will. Banyard and Jones beat out Williams.

I understand that a lot of people thought Williams looked good. The subtext here is that he's not the sort of player/guy that McDermott wants around. What does that mean, exactly? I'm not sure, and I have some concerns. The "right guy"/high character stuff isn't something with which I am enamored in today's NFL. But maybe it has more to do with being a serious-minded professional. I certainly hope so.

As for Swolbert being a McDermott guy - what of it? What does it actually mean? Is it pure non-merit-based cronyism? I very much doubt that. My sense is that Swolbert "goes about his business," as we so often hear, in a way that McDermott thinks is exemplary. And he can play ST. Maybe Williams was a bit of a laze-about knuckle head who always showed up just on time, had a vacant look on his face in meetings, and was always ghost the moment he was allowed to leave. Maybe Swolbert does things quite a bit differently.

There is an infinity of possibilities here, and so much we don't and can't know. The fact that your take is something like "he's (butt) buddies with Sean the Wrestler" is an anemic take.

Bills are the 3rd oldest team in the league.

Tolbert's leadership has it's merits, my opinion is that if McCoy gets hurt they're in trouble. I think Tolbert would have a goalline/short yardage role regardless of Williams being cut. But Banyard over Williams doesn't make sense to me. 

Here's my tinfoil hat take: Something Beane said, or how he said it, in the latter part of  August made me think that he'd approached Pegula about moving McCoy and had been shot down. So isn't it then sort of a sneaky tank move to leave McCoy standing alone as the only real viable tailback? In the event McCoy goes down, the tank can go ahead full(er) steam.

Scouts' consensus top 3 NFL QB prospects (Darnold, Allen, Rosen) combined for 4 TDs, 4 INTs, 7.1 Y/A. 18 rushes for -30 yards. #ProStyle

That stat line is a little misleading...

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen was the catalyst, finishing 35-of-58 for 491 yards and four touchdowns

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731294-josh-rosen-ucla-erase-34-point-deficit-to-shock-texas-am-45-44

In addition, I give no f's if my QB has positive rushing yards. I want to add that I watched Allen and saw nothing impressive. He went to his 2nd read a few times but he can't make short throws. He guns everything and WR just can't handle a bullet from 5yrds away every play. His long throws were nice but again, if you are overthrowing a bubble screen that is a 10 yard throw I have major doubts about your skills.  I will try to see some more of Wyoming but right now Allen isn't anywhere in my first or second round if I am the Bills. 

Edited by LGR4GM

UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen was the catalyst, finishing 35-of-58 for 491 yards and four touchdowns

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731294-josh-rosen-ucla-erase-34-point-deficit-to-shock-texas-am-45-44

Not sure when it was taken. For me, Darnold and Rosen were worth talking about. How Josh Allen is talked about as a high first pick still boggles my mind. Then again, Blake Bortles and Blaine Gabbert were also drafted high.

In addition, I give no f's if my QB has positive rushing yards. I want to add that I watched Allen and saw nothing impressive. He went to his 2nd read a few times but he can't make short throws. He guns everything and WR just can't handle a bullet from 5yrds away every play. His long throws were nice but again, if you are overthrowing a bubble screen that is a 10 yard throw I have major doubts about your skills.  I will try to see some more of Wyoming but right now Allen isn't anywhere in my first or second round if I am the Bills. 

Allen was a disaster.

I want nothing to do with Josh Allen. Pretty sure most scouts have him behind Jackson, Rudolph, and Mayfield anyways 

Unfortunately, he is tall, white and "Pro-Style". So he will get over-drafted. Lots of NFL teams employ scouts looking for a QB they liked in the 1950's.

Jackson seems to have fallen quite a bit. I've heard several draft gurus mention all the first round QB's and he is hardly mentioned

Maybe a good thing. I'm not big on him either, although I think Darnold ends up being the biggest QB bust in a long time

Edited by WildCard

Jeff, I've gotta ask you:  Is there ANY quarterback, last year or this upcoming year, that you would consider, other than Mahomes?

Because if not, I'm beginning to think that "Jeffistragic" might be a better user name for you.

Rosen and Darnold are guys worth considering. I like Mayfield's moxie but worry about his physical traits and how they stack up. At this time I have not come to any conclusions on this class other than I don't like Allen.

For the record I had three QB's I liked last year.

Mahomes and Trubisky in the 1st and Dobbs later on.

Edited by jeffismagic