Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

Tolbert has a roster spot and Jwill does not. That is all I need to know as Jwill is a much better option on this roster. What does Tolbert do besides buy into McD's BS?

To hear the coach tell it, special teams played a significant role.

As for buying into SM's BS, how do you reckon a player manifests that buy-in? With pious words within coach's earshot, or by doing things in connection with practice and preparation? I'm betting it's the latter.

I'm ambivalent about the "right people" approach SM just articulated in his presser, but I'm also taking a wait and see approach.

Yes, they have a plan. A terrible one.

Bring back Tyrod Taylor after he failed last year and install a timing based WCO offense for him to run. You know, the basic passes that he can't complete. Trade the WR that does what the QB you brought back does best, throw deep.Sign the QB you are setting up to fail with a contract with more than 8 million in dead cap space starting next year. Take the league's #1 rushing offense and change from man to zone blocking because that is the preference of your buddy Juan. Have Juan bring one of the worst offensive linemen in the NFL and sign him to a 3-year contract because Juan knows him. Trade up for a possession receiver that struggles to get separation because your WR coach knows him. Cut your young cheap #2 RB because he will be replaced by Mike Tolbert, a 32-year-old fullback that knows McDermott and is buddies with him. Hire a GM not based on top credentials but someone Mcdermott was buddies with in Carolina.

McDermott/Beane now have assembled one of the oldest, least talented rosters in the NFL. But that's ok, I am sure that Rick "never called a play" Dennison and McWrestler can outcoach the rest of the NFL with better rosters and personnel. Let's not even talk more about QB which this dinosaur coaching staff thinks of as an afterthought.

Anger and frustration is just one step away from apathy.  Embrace the apathy, my friend.  There is calm and comfort with apathy.

#maybesomedayabandwagonfan

Basically, there is nothing that can go wrong in the next ten days or so. Either the Pats lose and haha the Pats, or the Chiefs take an early L and that helps our pick. Either we trounce the Jets and yay fun home opener win, or we lose and get the inside track to start on the mini-tank, perhaps giving the jets some momentum. 

OMG, J. Williams went unclaimed. Can he be nominated for the HOF now or do we have to wait the normal five years?

Nobody is claiming he bumps us to a super bowl contender, and everyone is correct to question cutting that guy over some of the guys they kept. 

It was a decision made by decision makers and it doesn't make sense to us, so we want to talk about what that might mean about the state of the team, you know? Because we have a lot of experience watching small decisions that are bad imply bad things for the state of the franchise. We're the freaking Bills. 

Nobody is claiming he bumps us to a super bowl contender, and everyone is correct to question cutting that guy over some of the guys they kept.

It was a decision made by decision makers and it doesn't make sense to us, so we want to talk about what that might mean about the state of the team, you know? Because we have a lot of experience watching small decisions that are bad imply bad things for the state of the franchise. We're the freaking Bills.

But we are supposed to be intelligent fans and everyone is devaluing back up running backs that don't bring anything else to the table.

But as I stated before, I do get the angst.

As for the Boldin story, it is 1 staff reporter at a newspaper saying something three quarters of the way down in his article. This is exactly how news works on the twitter world. An unsubstantiated story, that happens to fall in line with an already skeptical audience, becomes fact and in the process this guys article becomes Watergate level reporting.

But we are supposed to be intelligent fans and everyone is devaluing back up running backs that don't bring anything else to the table.

But as I stated before, I do get the angst.

Williams brought being a somewhat viable backup running back to the table. In my opinion none of the remaining players do. 

Edited by Lanny

Williams brought being a somewhat viable backup running back to the table. In my opinion none of the remaining players do. 

Correct. The Bills are a running team and to not have a viable backup at running back is poor decision making. Reminds me of the Jauron years where Levy/Jauron would go paper thin at position after position so they could excel at special teams.

And the fact that the Bills initial 3rd string RB was not good enough to get picked up and rostered over other team's backups who had a full camp and offseason with their teams does not get the Bills off the hook. It only speaks to how crappy the Bills are as they are holding on to players such as Tolbert who is far WORSE than a player no one else in the NFL wanted! 

Edited by jeffismagic

Correct. The Bills are a running team and to not have a viable backup at running back is poor decision making. Reminds me of the Jauron years where Levy/Jauron would go paper thin at position after position so they could excel at special teams.

And the fact that the Bills initial 3rd string RB was not good enough to get picked up and rostered over other team's backups who had a full camp and offseason with their teams does not get the Bills off the hook. It only speaks to how crappy the Bills are as they are holding on to players such as Tolbert who is far WORSE than a player no one else in the NFL wanted! 

Are Jones and Banyard not viable backups to McCoy? I saw two beat reporters Tweet this weekend that, in truth, there just wasn't that much difference between Williams and those players, in terms of performances at camp and in preseason.

And the fact that Williams was not claimed does, in fact, speak volumes to the fact that he probably just isn't/wasn't that good. Not worth getting agitated over, anyway.

Also, your campaign against Mr. Swolbert is a little weird. He's clearly there to be a leader and a 'teamer. I have no idea what he does and has done to merit the coach's trust in being either of those things, but apparently he's done enough. In addition, if Williams were to have made the team, it would've been Jones or Banyard who were cut -- not Swolbert.

p.s. I love the nickname Swolbert.

Are Jones and Banyard not viable backups to McCoy? I saw two beat reporters Tweet this weekend that, in truth, there just wasn't that much difference between Williams and those players, in terms of performances at camp and in preseason.

And the fact that Williams was not claimed does, in fact, speak volumes to the fact that he probably just isn't/wasn't that good. Not worth getting agitated over, anyway.

Also, your campaign against Mr. Swolbert is a little weird. He's clearly there to be a leader and a 'teamer. I have no idea what he does and has done to merit the coach's trust in being either of those things, but apparently he's done enough. In addition, if Williams were to have made the team, it would've been Jones or Banyard who were cut -- not Swolbert.

p.s. I love the nickname Swolbert.

Cut anyone of Jones, Banyard, or Tolbert. None of them are better than J. Williams who was a talented back that fell to the 5th because of injury. I liked what I saw from Williams this preseason and he would be the best option to backup McCoy if this team was constructed properly. Again, if J. Williams isn't "that good", WTF is 32 year old fullback/cheerleader Tolbert doing here?

As to what has Tolbert done? He is buddies with Mcdermott from Carolina. 

Edited by jeffismagic

Cut anyone of Jones, Banyard, or Tolbert. None of them are better than J. Williams who was a talented back that fell to the 5th because of injury. I liked what I saw from Williams this preseason and he would be the best option to backup McCoy if this team was constructed properly. Again, if J. Williams isn't "that good", WTF is 32 year old fullback/cheerleader Tolbert doing here?

He's a leader in that locker room. You can't undervalue the necessity of leadership on a young team. It takes character to win

He's a leader in that locker room. You can't undervalue the necessity of leadership on a young team. It takes character to win

Sure. Then construct a roster where your cheerleader is 3rd on the depth chart and you have at least ONE viable running back backup after getting rid of MG and Jwill. Taiwon Jones is a special teamer and Banyard is an old rb who has done jack squat in the league.

Sure. Then construct a roster where your cheerleader is 3rd on the depth chart and you have at least ONE viable running back backup after getting rid of MG and Jwill. Taiwon Jones is a special teamer and Banyard is an old rb who has done jack squat in the league.

To be fair cheerleaders are not only highly athletic, but also pretty hot. I'd be okay with a team of cheerleaders.

Plus, you know, they're there to cheer you up. Kinda a win-win 

Bills are the 3rd oldest team in the league.

Tolbert's leadership has it's merits, my opinion is that if McCoy gets hurt they're in trouble. I think Tolbert would have a goalline/short yardage role regardless of Williams being cut. But Banyard over Williams doesn't make sense to me. 

Edited by Lanny

Bills are the 3rd oldest team in the league.

Tolbert's leadership has it's merits, my opinion is that if McCoy gets hurt they're in trouble. I think Tolbert would have a goalline/short yardage role regardless of Williams being cut. But Banyard over Williams doesn't make sense to me. 

And the 3rd best leadership in the league. Intangibles, you can't measure those

A) don't be surprised to see Williams added to practice squad

B) if McCoy gets hurt, what optimism I still possess for this season will be gone

C) these moves are a lot like Knox bringing in Villipiano and Robertson and Bill Simpson

D) now all the Bills have to do is reciprocate that draft where they got Cousineau, Butler, Haslett, Smerlas, Nixon.....,