Buffalo Bills 2017-18

WildCard

He is going into his 8th year in the NFL. He is what he is.

Not as a starter, and with a new style offense and new coach. I agree he's not going to morph into a different QB, but maybe a coaching focus on a different offense can bring something else out of him?

Shooting in the dark for optimism somewhere...

Not as a starter, and with a new style offense and new coach. I agree he's not going to morph into a different QB, but maybe a coaching focus on a different offense can bring something else out of him?

Shooting in the dark for optimism somewhere...

I think it's something he struggles with due to his height. I don't see any way around that and don't believe that throwing over the middle will be part of any offense he is in.

From what we've heard a part of this new offense is moving the pocket, I think this will be good for Tyrod.

However, if they force him to operate from under center a ton I think it is a poor fit. Zone-read game should be a big part of any offense he is in and it was successful for both the running and passing game in the recent past. 

With good slot receivers and good coaching, is it possible Tyrod can be coached to and still learn to be a better over-the-middle passer?

I was gonna say ...

He is going into his 8th year in the NFL. He is what he is.

Yep.

IMO, Tyrod very much is what he is. There are some things he does very well, and there are other things he just can't do well -- or, at least, he can't do them well on a consistent basis.

At his very best, he can operate like a QB ranked among overall spots 10-15 in the league. But 80% of the time? He's among the top of the bottom third of the league's QBs (somewhere in the low- to mid-20s).

And the way the league operates, opposing DCs can fairly feast on forcing him to do stuff he can't reliably do.

I think it's something he struggles with due to his height. I don't see any way around that and don't believe that throwing over the middle will be part of any offense he is in.

From what we've heard a part of this new offense is moving the pocket, I think this will be good for Tyrod.

However, if they force him to operate from under center a ton I think it is a poor fit. Zone-read game should be a big part of any offense he is in and it was successful for both the running and passing game in the recent past. 

Dennison seems to favor the under-center stuff, nah?

I think that Tyrod, if he stays healthy (and I very much doubt he will), is going to have an abysmal year. Nothing I saw in the preseason gave me any reason to think otherwise.

A stealthy Donnie and Marie reference!

That is some high-quality SabreSpacing right there.

Thanks kindly.

By the way, Tim Graham, noted Bills' antagonist wrote a nice piece backing up my thoughts on Beane and staff he put together. Don't have the link but I'm sure you can find it. Also wrote about McDermott but I haven't read it yet.

What were your thoughts?

Dennison seems to favor the under-center stuff, nah?

I think that Tyrod, if he stays healthy (and I very much doubt he will), is going to have an abysmal year. Nothing I saw in the preseason gave me any reason to think otherwise.

There's no chance they keep Tyrod under center like they did in preseason AND they remain employed in the NFL in any capacity longer than this season. 

Tyrod is someone who clearly needs to get out of the pocket on designed plays to succeed, someone who can't stand under center the whole game. The preseason showed it. We knew it already. The coaches said they did it to give him reps to work on his weak areas. They didn't want to show anything more than vanilla plays, certainly not the good stuff they'll unleash with TT this Sunday. 

If TT's usage in the preseason stays the same they are blatantly tanking or incompetent 

"He has a bit of a wind up that elongates his motion, but it isn’t a necessity for him. Most players have a wind up so they can put a little extra zip on their pass. Darnold has the requisite arm strength. He just needs to clean up his technique in this case. "

Exactly why he will bust. What good QB in the NFL has a wind-up?

"He has a bit of a wind up that elongates his motion, but it isn’t a necessity for him. Most players have a wind up so they can put a little extra zip on their pass. Darnold has the requisite arm strength. He just needs to clean up his technique in this case. "

Exactly why he will bust. What good QB in the NFL has a wind-up?

If he can fix it tho?   

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/02/usc-qb-sam-darnold-retooling-throwing-motion/

Not a chance. That's 20 years of muscle memory he's trying to undo. When he's on the field he will revert to his instinctually, elongated throwing motion.

He can be big, accurate, smart, good in the pocket and a leader, but his throwing motion will ruin him.

Not a chance. That's 20 years of muscle memory he's trying to undo. When he's on the field he will revert to his instinctually, elongated throwing motion.

He can be big, accurate, smart, good in the pocket and a leader, but his throwing motion will ruin him.

J. Winston seemed to have fixed it.   He had the same issue Darnold has... long loopy motion due to a heavy baseball background.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/improved-mechanics-allowing-jameis-winston-reach-next-level/

There's no chance they keep Tyrod under center like they did in preseason AND they remain employed in the NFL in any capacity longer than this season. 

Tyrod is someone who clearly needs to get out of the pocket on designed plays to succeed, someone who can't stand under center the whole game. The preseason showed it. We knew it already. The coaches said they did it to give him reps to work on his weak areas. They didn't want to show anything more than vanilla plays, certainly not the good stuff they'll unleash with TT this Sunday. 

If TT's usage in the preseason stays the same they are blatantly tanking or incompetent 

Hmmm. Is true?

Hmmm. Is true?

I have read that on two bills drive at least three times, but I wouldn't know where to find the quote. But it makes sense. Pretty much every NFL teams do vanilla plays from under center 95% of the preseason. 

So my impression was "hey this is what preseason is and also what Tyrod is bad at so perfect he gets some practice and we don't give our plays away"